Leica 75mm Trio Comparision Lux,Cron,Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2.5 LUX, CRON and Summarit

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

2.8 LUX, CRON and Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

As you can see i maybe off on the Cron because the Summarit killed it so let me do a better test tomorrow and that way we know for sure. Here i think the Lux and Summarit are correct though. notice the Lux still did not catch up at 2.8 though and at F4 it does which i will do those crops from the better test

Guest guy_mancuso

This also leads to my other conclusion with the 90 Summarit i just flat out do not miss focus with that lens and reason i bought it and sold the Cron because i do miss with the 90 cron. Interesting is the same thing happening on the 75mm and the Lux i don't hardly miss, is this a Cron thing i just don't know but it certainly is fitting the same pattern as the 90mm. Scary

Guy, it looks like your camera might be front-focusing a bit? The shirt seems sharper than the nose and the Xs.

If you nail it with the 75 Lux and miss with the 90 Cron, then one or the other is out. The 75 Lux has less depth of field wide open, and don't forget you are using the same rangefinder to focus both.

• Like 1

Guy, thanks a lot, nice work and expecially for me, who haven't a 75 (only Hektor 73 of 1931... :) ) : I was already well disposed towards Summarit, your test closes the deal for me.. Christmas is approaching...:) .

Looking at the last 3, I have still the impression (looking at the "hairs" of the model, mainly) that Summarit is generally "colder" a bit on colors... had similar feel on the pics with color table, too... but cannot understand if is a question of contrast or of real aperture in respect to the other 2 lenses. Have you some thought about ?

Sharpness is impressive and, globally, the differences at even f/stop are really minimal.

Guest guy_mancuso

Here let me color correct 3 images all at 2.8. I WB of each card on the bottom inside left patch in LR . This is how the colors should look.

LUX, Cron, Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

Closes the gap more and at 2.8 the Lux acts more normal . The Cron and summarit still look like they have more pop to them but still it is very slight. Now i chose that ugly background on purpose too , I want to see how the bokeh handles the junk back there . We run into this a lot. I like to test for worst case than make it a pretty test. Really serves us better in the long run.

Guest guy_mancuso

If your not seeing the saturation look at the Red patch and also look at the red flower to the left in the background. i have to say after using Canon and Nikon for years that NO one handles Red better than Leica. Canon's from my days with it was so bad, more orange red. Leica nails it the best i ever seen , now maybe that has changed in recent years for Canon and Nikon but Real Red is hard to come by. Leica does it the best. Actually the color chart is very accurate looking with regards to color.

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy, it looks like your camera might be front-focusing a bit? The shirt seems sharper than the nose and the Xs.

If you nail it with the 75 Lux and miss with the 90 Cron, then one or the other is out. The 75 Lux has less depth of field wide open, and don't forget you are using the same rangefinder to focus both.

Yea I think one of them front focused on me. Reason i have to redo the sharpness test. i know the Cron is better than what we are seeing and the Lux could be better . i will do that this morning that test. Also Sean does a better job in the sharpness test too because his is done in studio with much more control. I do encourage people to look at his testing too , what turned out to be a nice thing for the end user is you have 2 of us testing the Summarits so this gives everybody a really good look at them. So in the end look at what we both are doing and make a call. Myself i am bouncing around between the Lux and the Cron. I have the 90mm Summarit and being so close to the 75mm I should have something different in the 75 mm focal length but if i did not than the Summarit is a great choice for the money. The only lag on it is the Bokeh compared to the Cron and Lux but we don't have three 75mm lenses when we go shoot , so if you if you don't compare them side by side inthe real world you would never know the difference. Let's face it too the bokeh is very close at 2.5.

For those based in the UK, I have been doing some research in London today on 75mm pricing and availability - a bit of an eye-opener. Firstly the fixed goal post - the Summarit (available new from stock!) is £850. Next the Summilux - relatively easily available - quite a few coming onto the market and no great demand, hence pricing for a nice non-coded second-hand one of around £1,000. Finally the surprise - the 75 mm Summicron is like the proverbial hens teeth and when one does come onto the market, it is immediately snapped up hence pricing - non coded exc+ lens around £1,700-1,800. For a lens I am not going to use that frequently, I don't think I can justify the extra cost over the Summarit. For film M's where you don't want the drop off in performance right at the edge of the frame, the Summicron might be worthwhile, but with the smaller imaging area of the M8, this is not such an important factor. So for me once they have sold my other lenses, it will be a Summarit.

Wilson

Humm, I am wondering...

For the rit, without the APO, what are we missing beside the f/2.5 vs. f/2.0? Color, sharpness, CA, focus shift? From what I've seen so far, the rit match up pretty well with or w/o the price consideration.

Before the rit was released, Leica claimed there is no compromise. I told myself this is just marketing BS because something has to be compromised for the lower price. I guess Leica delivers this time.

Humm, I am wondering...

For the rit, without the APO, what are we missing beside the f/2.5 vs. f/2.0? Color, sharpness, CA, focus shift? From what I've seen so far, the rit match up pretty well with or w/o the price consideration.

Before the rit was released, Leica claimed there is no compromise. I told myself this is just marketing BS because something has to be compromised for the lower price. I guess Leica delivers this time.

I think if testing was done on a film M, you might see more difference right out at the edges, when the lens is full open. I have just been reading the Leica brochure on the Summarits and they come right out and say that the edge performance on film M's will be somewhat compromised below f5.6. They go on to say that the performance compromises are next to undetectable on the small imaging size of the M8.

Wilson

For those based in the UK, … Finally the surprise - the 75 mm Summicron is like the proverbial hens teeth and when one does come onto the market, it is immediately snapped up hence pricing - non coded exc+ lens around £1,700-1,800.

Wilson

I bought a new coded Summicron 75 from Ffordes for just over £1500 just before the Summarits became available. Thus no new Summarit 75 for me, and looking at Guy's tests it does look a fantastic lens. The Summicron is better for closer focus and I do make use of that.

Jeff

I bought a new coded Summicron 75 from Ffordes for just over £1500 just before the Summarits became available. Thus no new Summarit 75 for me, and looking at Guy's tests it does look a fantastic lens. The Summicron is better for closer focus and I do make use of that.

Jeff

Jeff,

That pricing seems more in line with what I expected. However the indication from Richard Caplan of £1,700 was to be believed, as their pricing for other lenses seemed about what I was expecting. I had wrongly assumed I would be looking at about £1,000 for a exc to exc+ second hand 75 Summicron, so I suspect the real figure might be about £1,200 to maybe £1,300. I note there is a new one from Photo Arsenal in Germany for £1,455, very much in line with what you paid Ffordes, so paying £1,700 for a used lens, just does not make sense.

Wilson

Guest guy_mancuso

In case you are wondering about the size