Leica 75mm Trio Comparision Lux,Cron,Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Morning everyone as requested from a previous test. Folks wanted to see a three way 75mm test so thanks to leica for first sending the 75mm Summarit to me than followed out with a rush to getme the 75 cron also. having the 75 lux myself we now have 3 of leica's 75mm lenses for a comparison test. I am posting this also on my site Leica 75mm Trio Comparision Lux,Cron,Summarit - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

Okay details shot early in the morning at 8 am so the light is still warm and i put color charts in but i did not WB these , lets just look at the warm light as it is. This is not a color test per say or a sharpness test yet. Sharpness test will be later. This is a color, contrast, saturation plus a 3/4 figure size test for bokeh which i know everyone is more interested in than anything else. I processed these in LR 1.31 and slightly adjusted the Lux exposure to match everything the 1.4 Lux exposure is brighter in all testing i have done with it. I did focus test every lens with LCD but as we all know like Sean does is actually change the focus slightly to find the best series , that i did not do here on this test but will on the sharpness test. BTW sean is also testing the 75 summarit, cron and i believe the CV 75 so look for that when he gets that up also.

So lets go in this order always LUX, CRON, SUMMARIT

let me post all of the test than please comment later will let you know when i am done , long series here

First the Lux at 1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

Lux and Cron at F2

Guest guy_mancuso

2.5 series Lux,Cron and Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

2.8 series Lux,Cron and Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

F4 series Lux,Cron and Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

5.6 series Lux,Cron and Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Okay another series that i think folks REALLY want to look at is up close and what the bokh looks like . I am almost at minimum focus 3.5 feet or so. So reality a nice tight headshot but with a twist i turned the scarecrow almost 80 degree angle and focused right on the nose and the X marks . This way you can see the front and back bokeh as well.

Okay Lux at 1.4

Guest guy_mancuso

F2 LUX and CRON

Guest guy_mancuso

2.5 LUX CRON and Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

2.8 LUX CRON and Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

F4 Lux , Cron and Summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

F5.6 Lux , Cron and summarit

Guest guy_mancuso

End of this test. More test to follow like a sharpness test. as you can see there pretty darn close . there is some bokeh difference which is very slight on the same apertures and a little contrast difference as well but you have to look closely to see this stuff. Now i already know with the sharpness test the Cron and Summarits will be better becuase i already did a LUX , Summarit test but i will do a new one with all three now

Guest guy_mancuso

Well it is pretty interesting at 1.4 the other lens don't have that look of the Lux at any aperture so the Lux has that glow we all talk about at 1.4 than at F2 the Lux changes, the contrast bumps up and it looks more like the Cron and Summarits. Although the bokeh on the Lux has a slight softening at F2 and slower . But technically the Summarit and Cron are much better lenses from a look standpoint hard to touch the 1.4 of the Lux . Now i will say without even shooting the sharpness test which I already done the Lux and Summarit on my site the Lux is not as sharp until you get to 2.8 and slower. I am going to do that test again anyway because folks need to see that with the Cron also . The Cron and Summarit are sharper lenses wide open but by 2.8 or F4 things become about the same.

What is interesting is the value of the Summarit. it is extremely good lens for the money to pay and if your not after that Lux glow and a smaller, lighter and cheaper lens than it is a winner on all counts but this will come down to look and costs for many folks. Also the Cron and Summarit have a touch more contrast and saturation which we can fix of course but for now we can only look what is coming off the sensor . We can change almost anything in post except for bokeh. So it is quite interesting what these lenses can do and a lot of the decision making will come down to costs and size and weight. If you want that Lux 1.4 look well you have to pay for it in size and weight and also you can only get them used now.

A lot of folks will jump on the summarits no question for the price there tough to beat. i actually bought the 90mm summarit and really like it very much. One thing also on the Summarit a shorter focus throw than the Lux and i found that helped me with the 90mm over my 90 cron which has a long throw so I switched it out for the summarit.

Guest guy_mancuso

Gene sorry about that yes they are with the M8 and no i don't have a film camera to test with. I have a feeling they would do okay though because The lux in the corners is really soft in the wide apertures from my early tests and the Summarit was good right to the corners even wide open. There pretty even like the cron is. So i have a good feeling they would handle the FF of film bodies.

Well it confirms what I suspected, as far as I can tell on the Web, The Summicron the best, with the Summarit running close and the Summilux a totally different lens. I'll stick with the Summilux, I tend to use it wide open as much as possible. For the supersharp stuff there is always the 90 AA in the bag.:)