What exactly is a Demo?

JimP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This question may sound a bit simplistic, but what kind of life can you expect one of these cameras or lenses to have had. 5 month on a dealers shelf vs 5 months traveling the country for Leica Demo Days? I have seen these items listed and am curious.

Thanks,

Jim

Though I can't say exactly, I do know that mine is a demo, and works like a charm. I bought it directly from a dealer who said: go home, try it out for a week before registering it, and if you have any problems I'll give you a new one. I had no problems, and I've been happy ever since. Especially as I could get the camera + a new Zeiss lens for less than a new M8.

Anyway... it comes with a one year warranty (not the usual 2), and has supposedly been checked out and approved by Leica. Perhaps it's their way of saying 'refurbished'... I don't know. You get the 2 filters just as with any new M8.

That's my experience... been 100% positive.

Jim, it depends. Normally I'd expect to have been the model that people examined if they came into the dealer. So they'd handle it, fire off a few shots and then put it back on the shelf. If the discount and warranty were ok I wouldn't personally have any problem in buying one.

Seeing how that many Leica lenses have been in service for several years or decades, I wouldn’t be too reluctant to purchase one of these if the discount is good and it includes a factory warranty. Likewise, the camera may also be a bargain, provided it’s not dinged up and retains the Leica warranty. My gear is new and as such, I paid full-tilt prices although I just wanted it that way. Store demos are not for everyone, particularly guys like me who may be a bit anal.:D

Regards,

I have spoken with two dealers about demos. Most of the items sold as demos come from the" dealer day "stock . Periodically the sales force rotates out their stock to keep the demo equipment fresh and new looking. I don t remember the code but they get new warranty cards with a code stamped on them . As you would expect you can get a variety of conditions depending on the item. I have several lenses that were demos and they were all like new..but I asked for a detailed description of the condition before I bought. Both dealers I spoke with sold display items as new ..so I also ask has the item ever been out of the box and in the display case. They are not supposed to sell new items as demos because it violates the minimum pricing agreement.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have spoken with two dealers about demos. ....

Thanks. So the amount of use that they have seen could be a variable. On the other hand, early fail kind of issues for the M8 could be weeded out. Lenses probably a non issue unless it has received a drop or bang.

My dealer tells me that the M8's returned under warranty are being repaired and sold into the network as demos.

Most have had no use to speak of and have had the original cause of failure fixed. There should not be a concern and the price reduction compensates for the loss of 'brand' in brand new,

Rolo

My dealer tells me that the M8's returned under warranty are being repaired and sold into the network as demos.

Most have had no use to speak of ...

Rolo

How do you go from "M8's returned under warranty" to "Most have had no use to speak of".

How would you know that?

So from what I am reading, a demo is either a rotation of the Demo Days stock or a Refurbished unit.

How do you go from "M8's returned under warranty" to "Most have had no use to speak of".

How would you know that?

So from what I am reading, a demo is either a rotation of the Demo Days stock or a Refurbished unit.

Jim, I don't know that.

My dealer tells me .......

I believe your reading is 100%.

Rolo

Jim

My 'new' M8 is a 'demo' unit and states on the packaging and passport that it is "Ex Demonstration Product". I expected to be disappointed but frankly it is new. It has clearly been entirely cleaned and repackaged. I got mine from Robert White, who are in any case a quality outfit and so far (touch wood) no problems in the first week. Gotta be worth a £500 discount especially with the new pricing now hitting the shelves and making it more like £800.

Incidentally, when I asked Robert White they told me it had a 2-year warranty and I-year passport, the same as a new camera in the UK (unless I am misled on that).

LouisB

Thanks for the info. Ex demonstration units can certainly be a good thing in that they have been run in a bit. Get's rid of the early fails... like the one I had. I had my (new) M8 for 3 days and it completely died. In my case I contacted the dealer and within 3 hours had a new unit in my hands... in and out of the store in 15 minutes.

I bought a lot of my audio equipment (Naim) as demo as well. Absolutely no difference from the new units, just broken in a bit (a good thing).