Who has sold a Noctilux?

tom0511

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would never part from my nocti, and I do not have the slightest problems focussing it. it works like a charm. i had it calibrated for the m8 by leica. you can see some of my nocti shots here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/landscape-travel/38152-m8-noctilux-35mm-cron-japan.html

cheers 1pic

Great.

I like your noctilux shots very much. May I ask how long it took Leica to calibrate it with your M8? And was that done is Solms or in the US? thanks...Peter

Hi Peter, it took them 2 hours to do my 4 lenses including 6bit coding. I waited in a coffee shop. they did a terrific job, and I was in heaven after that. It was done in Switzerland at Leica Camera AG, Nidau. Interestingly, I had my 20 year old M6 in for a check as well and it was dead on!.

One Pic A Day,

if I could get my hands on a Nocti like yours, I'd use it every day of the week and twice on sunday. :)

BTW very nice shots in your Japan-thread.

Peter

Thank you, that's exactly what I do! It's my most used lens. I don't mind the weight, I don't mind the long focussing, it's like with every lens: you have to learn to use it. practice and you'll get better. I can focus in the dark now, it's like an instinct you have to develop. AND you have to use it for what it has been designed in the first place: f one-oh shots in difficult lighting situations. for other situations, use the cron or the elmar. why carry 650g around if you use it at f2.8 or 4.0?

People complaining just haven't used it enough. my 2 cents.

Thank you, that's exactly what I do! It's my most used lens. I don't mind the weight, I don't mind the long focussing, it's like with every lens: you have to learn to use it. practice and you'll get better. I can focus in the dark now, it's like an instinct you have to develop. AND you have to use it for what it has been designed in the first place: f one-oh shots in difficult lighting situations. for other situations, use the cron or the elmar. why carry 650g around if you use it at f2.8 or 4.0?

People complaining just haven't used it enough. my 2 cents.

One Pic A Day (and all other Noctilux users who got to know this lens): do you compensate the focusing when the subject is on the edges of the frame, to correct a little the curvature of field that the Noctilux shows at 1.0?

I see that the focusing point on the edges is closer to the camera than the focusing point in the center.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've never sold one, but I did buy one at auction a couple months ago. It's certainly the quirkiest lens I have for the M8. Slight front focus and soft at 1.0, much better at 1.2, focus shift thereafter as advertised, but not that much of a bear to focus.

Certainly worth the effort to bracket slightly to get decent focus when wide open with such a shallow DOF. Because the focus throw is small when close and wide open I find myself just leaning in a little, then leaning back a bit and usually one of the three shots is as sharp as the Noctilux is going to be. It certainly doesn't approach the Summilux for sharpness, but every now and again it yields a breathtaking result.

I've learned to compensate for the slight front focus, but wonder if it would be worth sending the lens to one of the U.S. Leica Wizards for a CLA. Do I need to deliver my M8 as well if I want to optimise the focus say at 1.2? I wouldn't be sweating it, but did spend a few bucks for the lens and want to get the most from it.

I can't imagine ever getting rid of it.

One Pic A Day (and all other Noctilux users who got to know this lens): do you compensate the focusing when the subject is on the edges of the frame, to correct a little the curvature of field that the Noctilux shows at 1.0?

I see that the focusing point on the edges is closer to the camera than the focusing point in the center.

well actually what happens is that I focus with the center and then turn in my body until the subject is where I want it, and I guess since I am turning in a circle the edge of the lens gets just that little bit closer, as needed. I never had a problem with that technique. Also I never really have the subject close to the edge.

I've learned to compensate for the slight front focus, but wonder if it would be worth sending the lens to one of the U.S. Leica Wizards for a CLA. Do I need to deliver my M8 as well if I want to optimise the focus say at 1.2? I wouldn't be sweating it, but did spend a few bucks for the lens and want to get the most from it.

you should definitiely have it calibrated and you should sent the M8 along with it. But don't go for 1.2, why waste that half stop? It doesn't make sense. You will not regret it! Before CLA my lens was frustratingly unpredictable, after CLA it became easy to use.

well actually what happens is that I focus with the center and then turn in my body until the subject is where I want it, and I guess since I am turning in a circle the edge of the lens gets just that little bit closer, as needed. I never had a problem with that technique. Also I never really have the subject close to the edge.

Thanks for your answer and my sincere congratulations for your excellent photographs that I enjoyed very much and that are a source to learn to use better and better this wonderful Noctilux animal.

With a friend we bought a used noctilux at 50-50 ownership. We use it a total of 3-4 days a year each but I assure you that nothing else would do for the purpose its being used. No it is not for sale...yes heavy and not particularly easy to use but for what it has been designed for nothing can replace it..

Every time I resolve to cancel my near year old Noctilux order I see something that makes me think the wait it justified. I'll grant Leica another two weeks...

Leica just satisfied all 30% discount Noctilux deliveries. But I doubt you will be getting yours in two weeks as it is holiday season now.

The reason I ask is that I am considering selling my noctilux to fund a D3. best....Peter

Peter, I am convinced the D3 is a great camera.

I do not shoot much indoor sports. The reason for me to get a D3 would be to use the 85/1.4 as a 85mm lens and to be able to shoot at low light without flash (mostly family stuff, some street photography). I am not sure if I want to use such a big camera for that kind of photography vs "just" using the M8 and accept a little more noise here and then.

Also I do a lot outdoor stuff where the D3 would be quit big and heavy to carry (hiking, paragliding etc.) Here the D300 might be the better alternative for me.

But in my case I asked myself if I really would use the D3 enough to justify the money and since I wasnt sure I decided to cancel my order.

Another thing is that I wasnt sure if the D3 delovers the same clarity in images as the Leica stuff.

If I was a indoor sports reporter I wouldnt hesistate a second.

Cheers, Tom