• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a Noctilux and sold it mainly for two reasons:

1. Close focusing distance

2. Slow focusing (longer throw because of f/1)

#2 is something I probably could have worked harder to compensate for but the close focusing distance of my ASPH Summilux & much faster focus is more my speed.

I do look back with some fondness on some of the images I shot with the Noctilux but, in the end, it frustrated me more often than thrilled me.

The Noctilux isn't an outdated lens. At f/1.4 it performs very similar to the Summilux 50mm pre-ASPH, and at f/2 and it is very similar to the Summicron:

That test was in 2001 with film.

I own both noct and asph lux. Even at infinity at a mile away shooting at "cityscape" at 1.4 or 2.0 the noctilux cannot match the clarity of the lux. (the buildings on the outer l-r edges of the Noctilux will appear soft.) The hi res sensor in the M8 exposes the optical flaws in the ancient design of the noctilux. Shoot a night scene with bright lamps with both lenses, the noct will render bright blue "flair" around all the "hot" light sources , while the same scene with the with Lux they are mostly clean white light. The Noct will also give unwanted blue "glow" outlines around the highlights of even soft lit subjects. While it's very appealing in B&W images, it's rather annoying and tedious to retouch in color files. The famous Noctilux "GLOW" is now a blue glow when used on a M8. (very annoying to me)

I tried 3 different Noctilux lenses, and I own 2 M8s, the results are consistent, I discussed these observations with Leica NJ, and was told , "yes, that's how the Noctilux performs on a M8, very different than on a M film camera." (I also own a M6 and M7)

That said , I do love my Noctilux, and it can certainly make some very unusal and interesting captures, but it's not as versatile as it is on a M film camera. If you shoot a lot with 50mm focal length, buy another 50mmfor everyday use.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't have a Nocti, but tried one a few days back on my M8s - it was backfocussing severely on both my bodies at various f-stops (tried all of them between f1 to f8, on a tripod), and the retailer wanted 4.200 euros for it. So, for both reasons (not willing to leave such a hefty amount of cash on the table for a lens that needed to be sent back even before 1 day of use!) I decided to let go for now... :D

Tom I'm using a Noctilux, a pre-ASPH Summilux and an ASPH Summilux. I keep the Noctilux for it's totally unique rendering of the OOF areas at f1.0, as others have.

Ditto for me. I use exactly the same lenses. I sold a Noctilux a couple of years ago after getting the 50 lux ASPH. After 6 months I missed it so much I bought another one. Nothing else has that look.

Yes, many has commented or even blamed the Noct on backfocusing issues.

I've bought one, sold it only to acquire it again finally.

I've thus make up numerous focusing test with my unforgiving M8, the CCD easily shows up any misfocus shot.

Some people say Solms fails to celebrate the Noct as Midland did in the '70s. In fact, I believe every Noct is Midland made and calibrated.

Some people say only the new Noct with build-in hood got problem, I believe the backfocusing issue is an intrisic characteristic of the Noct's optical design, regardless of the year of manufacture. Later Noct may have different glass types and coatings though.

After considerable time with the Noct, my experience is,

a properly made and calibrated Noct will bear correct sharp RF coupled focus AT f1 AT ~1m and infinity.

At different f-stops stopped down and at different focusing distance say 2m, 3m, etc. We need some practical experience to focus it correctly by deliberately front focus to different extents. Sound weird and absurd for a 5 grand leitz optics, but it is simpler to do it in actual practise. Once mastered the skill, it drawing is irreplaceable.

Love it, hate it, love it, ... may be that is the cost of using an f1 lens.

Possibly all other 50 mm lenses that can be put on a M8 is better - in almost all respect, than the 50 mm 1,0 Noctilux. When it comes to picture quality and ease of use. If you want a professional result; use just any other 50 mm lense. Still I have kept mine - bought 2.hand for 15.000 NOK ($ 2,660), the newest type with the built-in sun shade. Because it is a curiosite' and a collectors peace. And, well, the pictures it takes at aparture 1,0 has certain charm, 'quality' and are unique. If you can control the back focus.

If I should spend big on a good lens to go with the M8 it must be the WATE.

Seems to me many posters are measuring the Noct by its $ value or it's ease of use or other factors that, to me are secondary (but still important) to it's prime purpose. Creating images!

If it creates the images you like/need, then work with it, regardles of ther difficulties. Picture making wasn't meant to be easy (or have I been mis-informed?) so tough it out and use the tools that work, if you can afford them. There are ways to improve the handling of the Noct. IMHO, best of these is the 'Steer' which easily attaches to the focus ring and substantially improves speed of focussing. I haven't yet found a way to improve the cost of the lens.:D

Attached is a sample of my Nocti work. I have used this lens for about five years and would not part with it. Many of my best, IMHO, pics have been made with it. Yes, I have lost good images because of the difficulty of using it, but practice is a great improver of technique, and the gains outweigh the losses, for me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I would never part from my nocti, and I do not have the slightest problems focussing it. it works like a charm. i had it calibrated for the m8 by leica. you can see some of my nocti shots here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/landscape-travel/38152-m8-noctilux-35mm-cron-japan.html

cheers 1pic

I like your noctilux shots very much. May I ask how long it took Leica to calibrate it with your M8? And was that done is Solms or in the US? thanks...Peter

I am evaluating selling my Noctilux since I am afraid its just to difficult for me to handle the shallow DOF conbined with backfocus in a manual focusing system.

Also own a 50lux asph, its smaller, its easier to focus, no focus shift, it also has a nice bokeh.

Still hesistating since I think the Noctilux gives a special look also at f1.4 and f2.0.

So here is my question:

Who of you guys has sold the Noctilux and is now using another 50? Who is regretting having sold the Noctilux and why? And who is not missing it.

Who of you is owning the Noctilux and another fast 50 and can tell me good reasons to keep the Noctilux?

Cheers, Tom

Tom,

I very reluctantly had to let my Noctilux go, as it literally was too much of a handful for my arthritic hands. I swapped it for a nearly new coded chrome Summilux 50, a Summicron 50 and a Ricoh GX100. The Summilux is a fantastic lens and does absolutely everything you could ask of a lens as well as can possibly be done. It is surprisingly heavy, especially the brass/chrome one like mine. The focus is still very stiff but should loosen/smooth off over the next 20 years or so. However part of the pleasure and uniqueness of the Nocti is due to the fact that it is not optically perfect but in a very special and charming way. If I could have lived physically with the Nocti, I would not have let it go. Two of the best photos I have taken during the year were taken with the Nocti. The Summicron was perfectly good but not in the Summilux league, so it has gone off along with my Elmar-M 50 to be sold to fund my Summarit 75. I am a bit sad to see the Elmar go, as it is a very sweet little lens but it only really made sense as a pair with my Noctilux. I have not used it since getting the Summilux.

Wilson