moving/deleting files

brickftl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I turned my camera on, plugged a USBC-cable into it and the other end into my MacBook. I expected the camera to show up as a drive in Finder but it did not. I restarted the MacBook, same thing. Is this not the correct way to access files on the IN drive?

Also how do I copy files from the IN drive to the SD card? Is this something I can and/or should do using the FOTOS app on my phone?

Thanks in advance, I know these are very basic questions but I just got my M11-P today, trying to figure things out.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, brickftl said:

I turned my camera on, plugged a USBC-cable into it and the other end into my MacBook. I expected the camera to show up as a drive in Finder but it did not. I restarted the MacBook, same thing. Is this not the correct way to access files on the IN drive?

On the camera, Camera Settings > USB Mode > turn PTP on. Note, this will disable USB charging.

For regular use USB charging isn't important to me but I often connect the camera to do downloads to Lightroom. I just leave the above configuration all the time unless I'm on the road or away from my external charger.

Also how do I copy files from the IN drive to the SD card? Is this something I can and/or should do using the FOTOS app on my phone?

The camera has a menu function to move files from one to the other; I can't imagine ever doing this but no doubt someone has a use case other than yours above where you didn't know the secret formula.

Unrelated, be aware that geo-tagging uses a ton of battery on the camera and phone (mine is Android; your mileage may vary), even in eco mode, and even when you disable it on the camera, as it appears the Leica FOTOS app keeps trying to connect to a camera. I haven't fully figured that last bit out; I simply disabled it on both sides and will only use it when I really want it on.

Edited by MikeW

6 hours ago, MikeW said:

On the camera, Camera Settings > USB Mode > turn PTP on. Note, this will disable USB charging.

For regular use USB charging isn't important to me but I often connect the camera to do downloads to Lightroom. I just leave the above configuration all the time unless I'm on the road or away from my external charger.

The camera has a menu function to move files from one to the other; I can't imagine ever doing this but no doubt someone has a use case other than yours above where you didn't know the secret formula.

Unrelated, be aware that geo-tagging uses a ton of battery on the camera and phone (mine is Android; your mileage may vary), even in eco mode, and even when you disable it on the camera, as it appears the Leica FOTOS app keeps trying to connect to a camera. I haven't fully figured that last bit out; I simply disabled it on both sides and will only use it when I really want it on.

so if you have files in the IN, the only way to move them to the computer is via USB cable? I thought I read that some people found it easier to move them onto the SD card, and then put the SD card in a card reader.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb brickftl:

so if you have files in the IN, the only way to move them to the computer is via USB cable?

No, as correctly pointed out by MikeW above, the camera has a menu function to move files from one to the other, that is, from IN to SD. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb MikeW:

PTP on. Note, this will disable USB charging.

That is wrong. You can charge via USB-C, even if the camera is set to PTB transmission.

The camera has a menu function to move files from one to the other;

This is one way to export photos from IN. However, the SD card must not contain any data. It is best to format the SD card beforehand. So you cannot always "add" the new photos.

The better way seems to be to read out the internal memory via PTB. PTB is necessary because the M11 is not recognised by computers (or iPad/iPhone) as an external hard drive. PTP is a transfer protocol for image files, which in turn requires certain programmes for reading. Lightroom can use PTB, the Mac operating systems cannot, but Windows can (I think).

geo-tagging uses a ton of battery on the camera and phone

That is not right. On the camera side it needs about 10 % more (but the battery is good enough for this), on iPhone side I would guess nearly nothing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm completely confused. Can someone tell me exactly how to transfer IN images to my computer if I don't use Lightroom (I only use Adobe Camera Raw).

I don't see a menu item about USB. What I do see is Main Menu: Storage Management: Storage Options: Backup Memory (IN - SD) Copy All. That seems to work and then I can copy from the SD card to computer.

Edited by brickftl

Posted (edited)

answer is given in Comment #2

Go the Menu called : "Camera Settings" and then go in the sub-menu "USB Mode"  check that PTP is selected

connect the M11 to the computer with the usb cable

the leica should appear in the explorer as a drive.

Edited by chris7273

9 minutes ago, chris7273 said:

answer is given in Comment #2

Go the Menu called : "Camera Settings" and then go in the sub-menu "USB Mode"  check that PTP is selected

connect the M11 to the computer with the usb cable

the leica should appear in the explorer as a drive.

thanks for that, and now I see USB Mode. I checked PTP, and also turned off USB charging. Then I connected my camera, went to Finder, and it's still not showing up as a drive. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, brickftl said:

thanks for that, and now I see USB Mode. I checked PTP, and also turned off USB charging. Then I connected my camera, went to Finder, and it's still not showing up as a drive. Any suggestions?

PTP is a transfer protocol.  You have to run a program that speaks the language of the protocol to access the camera.   Finder does NOT.  Your choices on a Mac using Apple provided software are Photos and Image Capture.  I prefer Image Capture as I can copy direct to disk without having to go through the Photos Library.

1) Turn camera on.
2) Verify in PTP mode.
3) Plug in USB Cable
4) Start the Image Capture program

You should see your camera listed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And FYI: You do not need to turn off USB Charging.

4 hours ago, elmars said:

That is wrong. You can charge via USB-C, even if the camera is set to PTB transmission

Thanks for that correction; when I first set up the M11-P, I was having issues with Lightroom transfer on Windows, and, at the time while searching for a cause or workaround, it *appeared* I could only make PTP import from Lightroom function if I disabled USB charging. It didn't matter to me then or now as I swap batteries rather than USB charge.

I'm not certain what the issue was, but re-verifying now, I see it works while USB charging remains enabled. It is entirely possible I was being impatient; the initial PTP negotiation is slow compared to USB storage used by other systems.

That is not right. On the camera side it needs about 10 % more (but the battery is good enough for this), on iPhone side I would guess nearly nothing.

The 45% battery usage by the FOTOS app on my Google Pixel 7 and unexpectedly dead phone during normal usage says otherwise, with high drain noted in both Eco and Performance modes. In either case, it was a ridiculously high drain, an order of magnitude more than most apps, which speaks to a very inefficient implementation by Leica. I experienced high drain under various conditions, including active use of the camera and rarely using the camera on a given day.

The additional drain was notable enough on the camera but not as severe. 

Unless travelling, I rarely care about geotagging, but I will dig deeper to see if the issue persists long before my next trip. I'd rather not have to carry a li-ion brick around with me all day.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb MikeW:

The 45% battery usage by the FOTOS app on my Google Pixel 7 and unexpectedly dead phone during normal usage says otherwise, with high drain noted in both Eco and Performance modes. In either case, it was a ridiculously high drain, an order of magnitude more than most apps, which speaks to a very inefficient implementation by Leica. I experienced high drain under various conditions, including active use of the camera and rarely using the camera on a given day.

The additional drain was notable enough on the camera but not as severe. 

Unless travelling, I rarely care about geotagging, but I will dig deeper to see if the issue persists long before my next trip. I'd rather not have to carry a li-ion brick around with me all day.

I can only speak about my iPhone experience. Maybe every manufacturer has a different Bluetooth technology. In any case, according to my observations, the camera does not consume much more energy. At first I thought it was almost nothing, then a Leica man told me it was about 10 %.