Sign in to follow this  
badpets

A Perfect Leica M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had mine since March and, apart from one brief freeze--fixed within 30 seconds by pulling out and reinserting the battery--it has worked flawlessly. I suspect the electronic freezing is simply part of life for computer-based devices. I think I ordered late enough to avoid the early problems.

No real trouble since November 9, 2006.

Just the odd lockup, that fixes with battery removal.

And it has not been back to Solms either.

Sorry if it has already been discussed somewhere in this forum, but what problems are referred as "early problems"?

I've had mine since March and, apart from one brief freeze--fixed within 30 seconds by pulling out and reinserting the battery--it has worked flawlessly. I suspect the electronic freezing is simply part of life for computer-based devices. I think I ordered late enough to avoid the early problems.

Sorry if it has already been discussed somewhere in this forum, but what problems are referred as "early problems"?

Banding green blobs and the IR sensitivity. And then we have the SDS and a change in a resister that was bad on some cameras.

The Winchester 'One of a Thousand' was a special order rifle (and so engraved) that used the best barrels and any type custom feature you wanted and not the result of one good rifle out of the production of thousands.

Frankly, you couldn't give me an M8. -Dick

Leave it to the trolls to chime in. Anyway, my M8 appears to be working within specification. Perhaps after I become more familiar with it, I’ll discover something more.

Regards,

Probably ALL M8s have issues and need repair. But just out of my curiosity - Has anyone actually ever owned a 100% problem-free Leica M8?

I had one M8 body freeze up, permanently, in February of 2007. Leica replaced it and this body has been used heavily (so much so that the paint is wearing off the "M8" lettering) and it has been reliable. Once every couple of months or so it has frozen up such that I needed to quickly pull and replace the battery (but I've also done that on my Canons). I do use it for a lot of professional work.

Back when my first camera failed, I surveyed Leica owners to get a sense of how widespread these failures were. I have no idea if that has changed but its seems like "dead" M8s are less common now.

It does seem clear that at least some M8s and lenses have had quality control and or adjustment problems (from the factory or after repairs) but I don't know how widespread that is. I certainly do sympathize with people who've had to send their cameras in, sometimes more than once. To really know how common these things are, though, we'd really need some data. Bad news travels much faster than good or neutral news so it really is hard to know what the reliability looks like in the wider population of M8s sold.

I wouldn't give mine up but I can't certainly see why some people's experiences have soured them on the camera. Mine is still is my favorite digital camera ever.

Cheers,

Sean

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have 2 M8's, one about 10 months and the second since early October having sold my M7 and MP. The Nikon D200 has only been used once in the past year. I have had no mechanical/electronic problems. However, I have two serious gripes. The framelines with my 50m 1.4 Lux are totally unacceptable when you consider the combined cost of the camera and lens is about €7,500. My main complaint is the noise level above 640iso. Maybe I am not using the exposure meter correctly. I would appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks in advance.

regards,

Michael

I have 2 M8's, one about 10 months and the second since early October having sold my M7 and MP. The Nikon D200 has only been used once in the past year. I have had no mechanical/electronic problems. However, I have two serious gripes. The framelines with my 50m 1.4 Lux are totally unacceptable when you consider the combined cost of the camera and lens is about €7,500. My main complaint is the noise level above 640iso. Maybe I am not using the exposure meter correctly. I would appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks in advance.

regards,

Michael

Shoot at 640 with a one stop compensation and then push the exposure in C1. The results looks better than shooting at 1250 right off.

I've been using the hell out of my M8 and it has been flawless. No menu scroll, no lockups, no weird stripes on the lcd, no rangefinder problems. From what I'm hearing from the two dealers I deal with they get very few back.

Internet forums are very poor places to get accurate user statistics. Years ago I read a study that found that people who have had a poor experience with a product or service are 8 times more likely to talk about it publicly than people who had a good experience.

Also to be mentioned: For some reason Leica forums seem to attract angry little people who don't even OWN a Leica. When people chime in about cameras they don't own it only proves their own ignorance.

Best wishes

Dan

No issues with my M8. I'm not a pro and I don't shoot thousands of frames every month. But the camera accompanies just about everywhere - including to work everyday. It gets a lot of handling and use.

Almost a year old.

Probably ALL M8s have issues and need repair. But just out of my curiosity - Has anyone actually ever owned a 100% problem-free Leica M8?

My first M8 was blocked after 15 minutes. I received a new one from Leica and this camera is from the beginning O.K. Never problems. During a course for portraitpictures I was the only photographer with really sharp pictures. The Nikon and Canon photographers had every time problems with their autofocus system.

An interesting perspective on the issue, rather like the old "Winchester '73" story. (One in one thousand 19th century Winchester rifles were perfectly produced and were highly prized, or so the story goes.)

No, mine almost qualifies but has the common sleepy power switch issue.

What is a sleepy power issue? One of my M8's does nothing when I turn the power switch on, and will only come to life when I depress the shutter slightly. Is that it, and if so, does anyone know how to fix this small but annoying problem?

2 bodies - a few scroll issues when the buffer's full - but hey, that's not an issue. Do I want an M9, do I want a reliable M8...? No - I've got what I need (apart from my old beef about a quiter shutter release / re-cock cycle)

First M8 in December 2006 had LEDs in the viewfinder badly out of focus, camera just couldn't be used at all. Replacement body working fine since then except for occasional lockups and venetian blinds, madly scrolling menus, skipping menu items and picture hopping (forward-back-forward) every day.

Second (backup) body since July 2007 with all the above mentioned glitches plus a nasty habit of locking up in continuous mode and not recording 9 out of 10 images. Extensive repair at Solms completely unsuccessful so far.

Fourth M8 body used on loan during Leica Academy Workshop had all above mentioned problems but only one lockup in one week.

So, I'm both surprised and relieved to hear that there actually are copies that do work without all the known problems. Apart from all the glitches the M8 is one of the most fun cameras I've ever used. Wouldn't want to be without it.

My two, bought in July, have been perfect other than the occasional mad menu scroll. Although they haven't had really heavy usage, they did take two (unprotected) tumbles off the car seat to the floor but came through like champs!

One totally trouble free, one has now a stuck frameline after more than a year troublefree (Leia M problem, not Leica M8...

Which turned out to be self correcting.. So one is 13 months old and troublefree, and one 11 months old and troublefree, over 5000 shots on each.

I had a battery break down, now that I think about it.