A Perfect Leica M8

badpets

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably ALL M8s have issues and need repair. But just out of my curiosity - Has anyone actually ever owned a 100% problem-free Leica M8?

An interesting perspective on the issue, rather like the old "Winchester '73" story. (One in one thousand 19th century Winchester rifles were perfectly produced and were highly prized, or so the story goes.)

No, mine almost qualifies but has the common sleepy power switch issue.

I have two M8s. One has been to Solms twice - once for the recall, once for the repair that forced me to have to buy a second one. The second one, purchased in April, has performed flawlessly in deserts and cities and mountains an... No problem with it ever.

Oh man, I'm probably jinxing it....

Hehe, you're being too superstitious. I wish I could get a second M8, but if it let me down again, I'll go nuts.

I have two M8s. One has been to Solms twice - once for the recall, once for the repair that forced me to have to buy a second one. The second one, purchased in April, has performed flawlessly in deserts and cities and mountains an... No problem with it ever.

Oh man, I'm probably jinxing it....

Ken - Are you gonna send it for repair? I'm still debating on mine. I've heard horror stories from several people in this forum that their cameras were sent for repair but returned with problem unfixed or even with new issues.

Nope, Ryan. I decided to just leave well enough alone. It really does not cause any problem --actually, it can be a handy feature-- and has not degraded. I would much rather live with this little special "feature" than send the camera to the German elves only to get it back (probably several months later) with potentially newly introduced problems.

An interesting perspective on the issue, rather like the old "Winchester '73" story. (One in one thousand 19th century Winchester rifles were perfectly produced and were highly prized, or so the story goes.)

No, mine almost qualifies but has the common sleepy power switch issue.

The Winchester 'One of a Thousand' was a special order rifle (and so engraved) that used the best barrels and any type custom feature you wanted and not the result of one good rifle out of the production of thousands.

Frankly, you couldn't give me an M8. -Dick

The Winchester 'One of a Thousand' was a special order rifle (and so engraved) that used the best barrels and any type custom feature you wanted and not the result of one good rifle out of the production of thousands.

Frankly, you couldn't give me an M8. -Dick

frankly Dick-noones offering....Brad

Only one freeze in almost one year of professionally beating my M8s... I'm buying another one in a few days in order to break it in prior to the start of the 2008 season.

Same as Riccis--one freeze in one year of professional use. Same as my 5d, actually (battery problem, if you're interested) :)

I have had an M8 since late Feb 2007 so it is a post-recall/sensor board fix body.

I have travelled with the camera, shot in -30 winter weather, +30 summer heat, light rain, from an open door helicopter. I recently past 8,000 frames, and my Leica M8 works just fine.

It is unfortunate to hear that a number of forum members have had problems with their M8's but I believe there are many people who own perfectly working digital Leica M cameras.

An M8 can be a reliable digital camera.

/a