A Perfect Leica M8

badpets

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two cameras. Both have, once or twice in a total of 19 months and 15,000 exposures (collectively), had the freeze-until-the-battery-is-pulled issue.

The first (within the first 3000 made) had an RF that was pretty badly out of whack both in distance and vertical alignment straight from the factory - it was re-aligned while it was in for the recall to fix banding and blobs.

Since then (June) no problems of any kind, except for things designed in (IR color shifts and poor 75mm framing) or things that I never see (venetian blinds, bad white balance) because I never shoot jpegs or use instant review.

It seems like even my batteries are getting better with use - I've taken 300 shots since the last recharge and both cameras still read "full".

I've been lucky - and I hurt for those who have had problems. I had an Epson R-D1 that (according to Sean's poll) was likely one of the worst ones out there, so I know how sickening it can be when things just....won't....go....right.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My M8 just stopped working. No battery indicator when turned on. No image on LCD if 'play', 'set', 'menu', etc. pushed. Remove and install freshly charged battery and it beeps and red light blinks, but still nothing. Click shutter twice and it takes a picture with the image showing on the LCD and the 'frames remaining 'and the full battery indicator is lit. But, still nothing accessible on the LCD. Click the shutter and it takes a picture.

I reloaded the new firmware and it was 'succesfully' loaded. Still same problem. Has anybody tried reinstalling the older firmware? Can it be done?

Very frustrating. Has anybody experienced anything similar. Although my problems sound like a collection of the ones cited above.

Thanks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

actually we are not so much of complaining here, but only trying to learn if M8 is being upgraded/improved through repair and in later batches... i believe everybody loves M8 in this forum. thanks for reminding though.

So far I was the one doing things wrong .. like not realising what a DOF of 1 inch means while focussing by hand. I love this camera. Can we please get on with it? We all know its shortcomings.

I'm going out and shoot me some pictures.

Probably ALL M8s have issues and need repair. But just out of my curiosity - Has anyone actually ever owned a 100% problem-free Leica M8?

I wonder to what extent some of the problems are in the eye of the beholder?

My M8 is fine.It focuses perfectly, doesn't lock up, batteries last as long as I'd expect, no problems with on/off switch - in fact, nothing has ever stopped or behaved unusually. From my point of view it's absolutely rock solid - an excellent and reliable tool. Far better, in fact, that any other digital camera I've owned. (I've previously had fatal problems with Nikon and Fuji cameras, for example).

The AWB is as unreliable as it is on every M8, but it doesn't impact me because I don't use it; I always set WB manually. The scroll/zoom effect behaves oddly if the buffer isn't empty, but I don't consider that a fault either because it's obvious to me why it happens. When the buffer isn't engaged in a write operation the scroll/zoom behaves perfectly.

From my point of view there's nothing wrong with my M8. But someone else might consider it faulty because of the AWB. So a lot seems down to personal perception, and the way in which a person reacts to something is in part governed by their personality, understanding and expectations.

Whatever issue that bothers you. Agree with you on "personality, understanding and expectations" in case of AWB. But a faulty power switch is something needs to be fixed.

I wonder to what extent some of the problems are in the eye of the beholder?

My M8 is fine.It focuses perfectly, doesn't lock up, batteries last as long as I'd expect, no problems with on/off switch - in fact, nothing has ever stopped or behaved unusually. From my point of view it's absolutely rock solid - an excellent and reliable tool. Far better, in fact, that any other digital camera I've owned. (I've previously had fatal problems with Nikon and Fuji cameras, for example).

The AWB is as unreliable as it is on every M8, but it doesn't impact me because I don't use it; I always set WB manually. The scroll/zoom effect behaves oddly if the buffer isn't empty, but I don't consider that a fault either because it's obvious to me why it happens. When the buffer isn't engaged in a write operation the scroll/zoom behaves perfectly.

From my point of view there's nothing wrong with my M8. But someone else might consider it faulty because of the AWB. So a lot seems down to personal perception, and the way in which a person reacts to something is in part governed by their personality, understanding and expectations.

The Winchester 'One of a Thousand' was a special order rifle (and so engraved) that used the best barrels and any type custom feature you wanted and not the result of one good rifle out of the production of thousands.

Frankly, you couldn't give me an M8. -Dick

Then WHY are you in the M8 forum and even a better question, WHY are you posting to threads in the M8 forum.

TROLL Alert.

And NOONE is offering.

I've had 3 M8, one replacement and I've bought 2. Got the replacement because of physical defects not function defects.

The only time the cameras, any of them, has failed to work in any way was when going into Clean Sensor mode and that is a totallly random occurrence.

None of them have locked up while taking pictures.

was feeling quite smug until a couple of days ago: no probs with this lovely machine the M8, apart from trying to kid myself that its not really much noisier than my M6s. But then, for no apparent reason, the chimping ring went first intermittent and then dead. can't scroll quick anymore or look into pics. plenty of warranty left but won't send it away till after xmas cos I want it for the festive season and it would only sit in a transit warehouse anyway till after the holidays. Y o Y didn't Leica stick to manual cocking? the electromechanical noisiness is just toooo much. And another thing. Just seen some A3 prints from the new Nikon, taken at iso 3200 and the clarity and lack of noise makes M8 files over 320 look pathetic. am I being unkind? dont think so. what i've realised is that being a Leicaphile means i was in a sort of denial about the very real and palpable downsides to the M8. on t'other hand, being unable to chimp made me wonder if perhaps i should put a bit of gaffer (duct) tape over the lcd and pretend i'm using film. as an exercise that might be good cos we do get very prodigal over the way we snap away with a digital. it is a different mindset when u have a couple of gig to squander. reminds me of a sports photographer i used to work with. he wouldn't use a motor drive on his Nikons cos he thought u can't bracket the decisive moment. even 12 fps doesn't guarantee catching the moment. Anyway enough confabulating.

Probably ALL M8s have issues and need repair. But just out of my curiosity - Has anyone actually ever owned a 100% problem-free Leica M8?

There are probably very many folks that own an M8 and are perfectly happy with their purchase and would recommend it to others. One important thing they will have in common is that they do not subscribe to this forum!

Never had a freeze up and have never had any reason to send it in for any kind of work. Thought it has a strange issue with the LED's in one orientation but went a way and I'm too busy shooting with it every day to just look for problems. :D

I subscribe to this forum and have no problems in recomending the M8 to experienced range finder users. Maybe I'm an anomaly but I'm very happy with my M8. Which is strange because for the first several month of it's existance (having waited for a digital M for years) I thought it was the worse thing Leica had ever made.

But I got one and love it, IR cut filters and all....