Next Round of M8 Firmware--What to Expect?

photolandscape

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What's curious about the mad scrolling problem (which I still see from time to time on all three cameras) is that it only occurs when navigating a menu and not when reviewing images - you (or at least, I) don't, for example, suddenly see the image review zoom in to maximum magnification or zoom out to display 9 thumb-nails..

Well, the only mad scrolling I've gotten is when I'm reviewing images. I'm trying to zoom in further, and suddenly I find myself previewing 9 images. I don't keep careful track, but my belief is that it only happens when I'm trying to zoom in, and always manifests as several zoom-outs.

My other body used to have a different problem that has dissapeared since it returned from Solms. It would sometimes ignore a wheel movement, but then advance twice on the next wheel movement.

Truth is, this doesn't really have any effect on my actual photography, but I guess it gives us something to post about...

David

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can anyone confirm whether it is technically possible for a FW upgrade to allow use of SDHD or not? ... QUOTE]

Andy, SDHC capability is on the "almost here" list. I, for one, am waiting for this to arrive before buying any more cords.

Leica publicly stated SDHC support in the M8 prior to it's release and it is officially listed as a target item to be addressed by way of a future firmware update, as mentioned on page 2 of the FAQ Leica Sept 2007.

Personally, I would benefit from the higher capacity cards made possible by the SDHC standard. Also, I would actually expect to see some write speed improvements too.

A year ago, 4GB SDHC memory cards were on the market. Then 8GB capacities became available. Now high quality, Class 6, 16GB SDHC memory cards are actually shipping.

Geoff

MySpace.com - *g e o f f* - 100 - Männlich - PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA - www.myspace.com/geoffotos

Well, the only mad scrolling I've gotten is when I'm reviewing images. I'm trying to zoom in further, and suddenly I find myself previewing 9 images. I don't keep careful track, but my belief is that it only happens when I'm trying to zoom in, and always manifests as several zoom-outs.

OK, that blows my theory out of the water... back to the drawing board...

So SDHD is definitely going to happen at some point. Great, thanks for the confirmation guys. Being able to use an 4+Gb card in the M8 would certainly be a big bonus.

Not sure what SDHD is:eek: but supposedly SDH"C" is going to be implemented.

I'd contact Leica and see if this SDHD is also going to added;) .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the maniac scrolling disappeared with firmware 1.10, at least I have not experienced it after upgrading.

No, it didn't. I still get it from time to time. I also get the non-cocking shutter from time to time, which I didn't have before, though this may have nothing to do with firmware.

BTW, what is the latest firmware? Mine is 1.110, but people talk about 1.10 here.

• 3 weeks later...
I really can't say what was done or is being done because nothing is final until they release , so honestly I can't say. i wish i could

I'd like to know how much Leica pays you to make people believe a correction is comming soon... and our M8s will work properly soon.

IMHO, M8 is just s**t.

Happy New Year :)

I'd like to know how much Leica pays you to make people believe a correction is comming soon... and our M8s will work properly soon.

IMHO, M8 is just s**t.

Happy New Year :)

Things are getting so slow at Photo.net that the trolls are wandering out of the park. IMHO...HAR!

Guest guy_mancuso

I thought we would see it released before the Holiday break but there probably still fine tuning it for release. But yes i have been using it in both bodies and so have other beta testers that reside on this site and other sites. Of course we can't talk about it either and even admitting it can get me in trouble. Please i have been watching this for several weeks now with all these complaints if it does not fit in your shoes buy something that will. There just tools and i just bought a 5D and still don't like the darn thing. Not going to complain about it and may just sell it after a job and get something else. Not saying sell your M8's but if your that upset with it and makes you not happy than why keep it. The endless complaints make my head spin anymore

You know guys, these little flame wars make up roughly 1/8th of the total amount of fun to be had here! <g>

On a serious note - every community has its cranks and I appreciate how no one in the couple of years I've been lurking and active on the site has been able to or allowed to spoil its genuinely good-natured spirit.

Happy New Year to all!

You know guys, these little flame wars make up roughly 1/8th of the total amount of fun to be had here! <g> Happy New Year to all!

Oh yes, and a 2008 without all that whining and complaining. Just good advice and good pictures. Should I have asked Santa? Too late! :rolleyes:

Guest guy_mancuso

I agree and some folks are . Understandable but I or anyone else here has nothing to do with the issues. We all want things fixed in some form. Personally i would rather help out than complain about the issues. Timely is the key word of the day and i won't argue that point, we all have to shoot too and work. Honestly though there really is nothing stopping me from getting a job done, easier and quickier maybe. But i never depend on AWB and other things either. Personally I would rather have my fight with the camera if it produces great images than having a perfect camera that gives me boring files. Case in point my 5D, works like a charm but man are the files boring. Just no sparkle, oh well.

Please i have been watching this for several weeks now with all these complaints if it does not fit in your shoes buy something that will. There just tools and i just bought a 5D and still don't like the darn thing. Not going to complain about it and may just sell it after a job and get something else. Not saying sell your M8's but if your that upset with it and makes you not happy than why keep it. The endless complaints make my head spin anymore

oh... hahah... how this thing should be called.... not even tautology .. laughing like crazy.. back to leica forum.. and no questions... it is fun :-)

what is "not fitting your shoes" .... camera that has so much problems ? what is it, a religion that u accept regardless of its difficult parts.... problems ... u know, they are not supposed to be there, not this way, not in this price, not for so long, not so scratched, not so slow, not so and not so ..... hahah "dont like" is something else.. "having problems" is something else - or not ?!

i had many occasions to use m8 , sometimes it worked ok, but usually the use of M8 is full of "if" and "but"..... for instance (and i say it because such thing happened several times even to my just occasional use of m8, but even more to users )... so for instance.. i take m8, wanna take some pics, just for fun.. and then it goes.. oh wait a sec.. problme with battery.. the camera is not going on.. something blicks, something not, then it starts to work, but doesnt take picture.. then i turn it off but it continues to work .. and then the guy say, ok ok , take out the battery maybe it will work ..... im not kidding neither dramatizing this story.. and there are a few more somwhat similar stories , and that is just about putting camera on/off ...... hell ...... just wanted to take a couple of pics for fun.... that is it ...... how much "if" and "buts" untill u take the pic sometimes, and how much afterwards...... so ..... where is that "not fitting your shoes" ...... by the way.. in this particular case , i might impulsively decide that i buy that camera , even that one i holded (the version was most recent, at least up to month ago) ...... now i do know.... no way..... there is no chance i can trust it..... it is not newly released product anymore , it suposed to be working camera already ..... sorry, im not experimental rabit or monkey to hold not fully trustable (sometimes not fully functional) instrument...... just wanted to take a couple of pics ..... not even that without "if&but" :-)

Yeah - hardly works at all. Never can trust the thing. Happy Holidays anyway...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!