Next Round of M8 Firmware--What to Expect?

photolandscape

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like others on this thread, I also have not experienced scroll wheel difficulties since the upgrade to 1.110.

As to displaying the wrong image if you push play immediately after taking a picture; what you get is the last written image. If you wait until the current image is written, you get it displayed.

I think this is *absolutely* correct operation.

JohnS

Writer of threaded graphics software for the OSX and Linux platforms.

I still can't replicate the maniac scrolling after I updated the firmware. Before the firmware upgrade I experienced this "syndrome" almost all the time while changing ISO or so.

I am tempted to conclude that firmware 1.110 does in fact correct this error. Leica even announced that the "unintended scrolling" bug would be fixed in v1.110 (if I am not mistaking this with another "unintended scrolling" that I'm not aware ever existed).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still get the rapid scrolling. I noticed somewhere that somebody mentioned it is triggered by starting with the set button. I just tried changing the ISO on my M8 by pressing the set key to bring up the menu and when I used the scroll wheel it went into the manic scrolling. It is not a 100% repeatable bug though.

Robert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi:

I still get the rapid scrolling too. Seems to only happen if I try to use the "set" menu immediatately after the camera is turned on. After that all is well. A nuisance, but nothing more. But I STILL live in fear that the camera will simply die one day and I never feel like I can rely on it in the same way I rely on pretty much every other camera that I own. The M8 takes great pictures, but I don't think Solms will be recruiting me to provide testimonials for the camera.

Bes to all,

DSR

Hi:

I still get the rapid scrolling too. Seems to only happen if I try to use the "set" menu immediatately after the camera is turned on. After that all is well.

Can you describe that in more detail? I normally switch the camera on, press SET to see what ISO and delta EV I left it at, correct if necessary and proceed to shoot. Haven't seen any rapid scrolling or venetian blinds for a while now.

scott

I still occasionally get the scroll madness on both my bodies. I also (still) see a hesitation when reviewing from one image to the next (or previous) where sometimes the correct next image shows but sometimes the same image shows and then after a hesitation, the correct image will pop up. My feeling is that this is a combination firmware/hardware issue and that Leica have yet to find a set of firmware values that satisfies all (minor) hardware variances between bodies, hence some of us see the problem still while others don't. I think what we're seeing is something similar to finding the correct value to eliminate key bounce on a keyboard.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it is definitely still there - as are all the other electronic reported malfunctions. I should know because I have two bodies with identical behaviour, one of which just returned from Solms and an extensive repair - with no effect whatsoever, apart from rangefinder calibration.

After one year of firmware updates that fail to solve the electronic problems of the M8 I strongly suspect that it might really be electronic parts of inferior quality and somewhat unpredictable behaviour. The firmware updates seem to change parameters in order to work around the unreliable workings of the wheel or the arrow keys, for example. But an increased timeout for a movement of the wheel probably makes the camera too slow, a shorter time produces picture hopping or madly scrolling menus more often.

The only thing that would really help, I'm afraid, would be to replace parts with components of higher quality - which would be devastatingly expensive. Before you can put better parts into the M8, however, you've got to have them made, and this, I assume, is what Leica has not been able to achieve for the past year.

I've never had ANY problems with my M8. Scrolling or otherwise. My only concern is with Jpgs, and Auto WB. The first has been taken care of with RAW, the second with Manual WB.

I don't think I've ever seen the scrolling problem on any M8 I've worked with. It must be that whatever triggers it doesn't match the way I work. I'm sure it happens its just interesting to me that I've never seen it firsthand.

I'm sure it matches the way you work, too: when you've got an M8 that does it, all you have to do is turn the wheel one click clockwise or counterclockwise in whatever menu you like - then the mad scrolling occurs. Not always, but annoyingly often enough.

I'm sure it matches the way you work, too: when you've got an M8 that does it, all you have to do is turn the wheel one click clockwise or counterclockwise in whatever menu you like - then the mad scrolling occurs. Not always, but annoyingly often enough.

well, although i use the wheel to scroll through the menu, simply cause you have to, to make changes, that mad scrolling never occured to mine either.

What's curious about the mad scrolling problem (which I still see from time to time on all three cameras) is that it only occurs when navigating a menu and not when reviewing images - you (or at least, I) don't, for example, suddenly see the image review zoom in to maximum magnification or zoom out to display 9 thumb-nails.

That suggests the hardware is OK and the random nature of the problem suggests there's a timing window being opened up when displaying menus. Maybe they're not disabling interrupts properly, or re-enablling them too soon, or keeping unexpected ones enabled, allowing some sort of recursion to take place.

I daresay the C programmers amongst us would have it fixed in a jiffy...

Can anyone confirm whether it is technically possible for a FW upgrade to allow use of SDHD or not? I'd like to know if I should be buying up regular SD cards now or wait until the M8 is SDHD friendly and buy those.

As for the mad scolling (which I like to call the "menu mambo") it's definitely a LOT less common under 1.10 than before on mine.

Can anyone confirm whether it is technically possible for a FW upgrade to allow use of SDHD or not? I'd like to know if I should be buying up regular SD cards now or wait until the M8 is SDHD friendly and buy those.

As for the mad scolling (which I like to call the "menu mambo") it's definitely a LOT less common under 1.10 than before on mine.

I would say ONLY IF the hardware supports it BUT the software was never written to support it. Most all hardware is backward compatible so if Leica used a SDHC chip but never wrote the drivers to support SDHC for it then it can be implemented through a firmware upgrade. Otherwise it can't. Leica keeps saying it can and they WILL do it. But I suspect it is a case of "The Check is in the Mail" type of thing.