Corrupted files

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just downloaded 300+ pics using LR and unfortunately a ton of them were corrupted.  Oddly the preview on some is fine when looking at them from the hard drive but they are a dumpster fire in LR.  I did make an error and "Moved" them when importing into LR and I should have copied.  The files are wild bands of multi colored streaks.  I did use a card that was new, a Lexar, the Sandisk was always been fine.  I am thinking this was an error with the card or my error of "moving" instead of copying or a bit of both.  I put the card back in the camera but it said something like "this file cannot be opened."  I am assuming this is because I did a "Move" into LR.  

• Like 1

Can Rescue Pro recover them?

Maybe you can find them using Chrome  (PC)

Step 1: Connect the SD card

Step 2: Run Google Chrome

Launch Google Chrome using the "Search" box" Start", or you can double-click on its desktop icon. On the address bar, you have to type file:///x: and hit "Enter" after replacing the x with the drive letter of your SD card. Google Chrome initiates the indexing of all the items present on the flash drive.

Mac:

https://www.wikihow.com/Show-Hidden-Files-and-Folders-on-a-Mac

The files are actually on my MacBook hard drive but even there some show signs of corruption.  Through LR is where they are a real mess and a few that were keepers. I will give these suggestions a try. Thanks so much. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Primitive thought:  Run a copy of the files through Adobe’s DNG converter. If the corruption is in the header or file structure that might rectify them. 

• Like 1

Sorry, yes, SL3.  Not a single other hint of an issue and seriously doubt it has anything to do with the camera.  Sandisk card has way more images through it without issue.  Just found a post on another forum about corrupted files on the exact same card but in Nikon.  I downloaded with a new ProGrade reader, first use, but also some files off of the Sandisk both SD and CF and also from a Lexar SD without issue.  Would using “move” in LR for the import instead of Copy or Add cause the camera to give the “This file cannot be opened” message?

Posted (edited)

My guess is that it's almost certainly the card.  My experience is that I've had symptoms like those you describe, albeit not involving LR.  LR is presumably trying to show you the raw, whilst other apps may be showing the embedded jpg - and fortunately you might be able to extract a full-res jpg that's undamaged from the dng for each image.  I'd then archive that jpg version in each case (or convert to tiff), and do any work on a copy before re-saving. 

M10 embedded jpgs are full res, at least, & hopefully that also applies to those from the SL3?

Have a look at Raw Preview Extractor: https://www.fastrawviewer.com/RawPreviewExtractor

Edited by rogxwhit
more info

Posted (edited)

I have such reading problems when I read photos on vacation on my Macbook Air. This happens most often with the Q3 individually with the M11. With the Sl3 I didn't have a single broken file last vacation. When I read the same RAW files with my MacStudio, strangely enough, all the photos are OK. My problem is probably with the vacation reader. 

Edited by ranilla
Fehler

I did have the same problem last year, I recall now. When downloaded to my MacBook Air on vacation all files had severe horizontal stripes. At home downloading to my Mac Mini using the same card reader the problems were gone. Both computers have exactly the same configuration. M1 chip, 16 GB  1TB memory. SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 256, SL 601. 

Downloaded some pics tonight from the SanDisk CF and one corrupted file.  Never happened with it.  I am going to try a different card reader.  The one I have is the ProGrade.  The only way I had imported before was connecting the SL3 to my MacBook.  I sure hope it’s not the camera. 

Posted (edited)

So I was able to recover all of the file on the CF card but the problem files all still look like variations of below.  Any ideas?  Anyone seen this?  It was 88 files out of 299.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ALScott

Fingers crossed, it was the reader and/or cable.  I just imported 56 shots into LrC by direct connection to the SL3 using PTP per manual and all were fine just as before I purchased the reader.  Boy, that's a load off my mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALScott said:

Fingers crossed, it was the reader and/or cable.  I just imported 56 shots into LrC by direct connection to the SL3 using PTP per manual and all were fine just as before I purchased the reader.  Boy, that's a load off my mind.

I’ve had this. I have a SanDisk Pro Dock card reader that flat out refuses to even recognise my Pro Grade CFE cards. I have a Sony XQD reader that only works with the specific cable that came with it, even though I have half a dozen identical cables for other things. I even have devices (I’m looking at you insta 360! amount others) where the device charges by USBC port but the cable has to have USB A at the other end. It doesn’t work with a USBC to USBC cable! Unless I put an adaptor to USBA on the end of it.

If a camera has a usable USBC port I’m finding that to be by FAR the most reliable way to download files. I only carry a reader as a backup or for cameras that don’t offer direct download.

Memory card, reader and cable standards are just a huge mess. No wonder the EU has had enough.

Really glad you got this sorted. Losing files sucks. The SL3 already has its issues. Thankfully this isn’t one of them.

Gordon

If I were you, I would still write to customer service and send them some of the corrupted DNG's to see what they think. Some SL3 users have been having problems with missing files, and regardless of whether it is the camera's fault or the cards/cables/readers, I imagine they would like to get as much information as they can. It will also be helpful for establishing that you have been having these problems, in case it needs to go in for repair or exchange.

Regarding my cameras, I have used the SD card reader in my Macbook Pro for the SL2, M10M and S cameras over the years, mostly using Sony and SanDisk cards without any issues. I have also not had any issues moving files via lightroom. I do that all the time with clients (they send me a wetransfer and then I move it from that folder to one bearing their name...never an issue. Have not done it from a card though).

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2024 at 12:18 AM, ALScott said:

I put the card back in the camera but it said something like "this file cannot be opened."  I am assuming this is because I did a "Move" into LR.  

P.S. This doesn't sound to me like it is a card reader or cable issue, but I could be wrong. It sounds like the photos were not properly written to the card. That usually happens due to a faulty card, a card that is too slow for the given camera, or a firmware/software problem in the camera. I don't think using move would cause that kind of error. I am actually going to check, as I have a few files on the SL2S that are not so important. I will just copy them to the desktop and then move them to Lightroom and see if the camera objects.

Ok, well, I tried it and move was greyed out for me...so maybe it only works for files already on a hard drive? Beats me...

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 1