Portrait lenses on L-mount

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I could have posted this in any one of the lens-specific threads where these lenses have been discussed and compared, but then the other threads would have missed out.

We are all counting angels on a pinhead in comparing favourite portrait lenses, but portrait photography is highly subjective; resolution and edge sharpness are only a small part of makes a good portrait, and I am a sucker for yet more examples and options.

A woman I know well was willing to be patient while I swapped lenses. Overcast, but bright conditions. A guy was holding a reflector to the right, but I'm not convinced he was holding it well. All shots on the SL2-S, with the lens wide open, and with the same distance to the subject. No adjustment of exposure in Lightroom. I set them all to the same white balance, and I am surprised how differently they have come out.

From the top: Sigma 85/1.4 DG DN, Summilux-M 75, Apo-Summicron-M 75.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spydrxx said:

It must be my eyesight, but I don't see any significant differences color-wise.

I see the top one (Sigma) as slightly pinker, the middle one (Summilux-M) slightly greener and the bottom one (Apo-Summicron-SL) as slightly more orange/warm. It is more noticeable in Lightroom on my calibrated PC monitor than in the forum viewed on my MacBook screen.

But there is nothing that cannot be adjusted - I just wasn't expecting it.

• Like 1

SIGMA are knocking it out of the park lately. I just purchased the 50/1.2 DG DN Art lens and had tempered my expectations having only shot with Leica lenses for the past 25 years, including the 21-35-75 APO's for the SL. Needless to say, I am absolutely floored by the 50/1.2, it excels beyond my wildest expectations! Portraits at f/1.2 are just epic, and by f/2.0 edges on a brick wall test are as sharp as the centre. AF is noticeably faster than my APO L lenses, and I dare say AF accuracy when compared to my 75 APO shot wide open. Absolutely zero regrets buying this SIGMA lens, and based on this experience, I am now seriously considering other optics in their line-up. Were they to introduce an updated 105/1.4 in L-mount, I would not hesitate to buy!

• Like 5

SL2-S + 75 Noctilux

• Like 6

vor 17 Stunden schrieb LocalHero1953:

I could have posted this in any one of the lens-specific threads where these lenses have been discussed and compared, but then the other threads would have missed out.

We are all counting angels on a pinhead in comparing favourite portrait lenses, but portrait photography is highly subjective; resolution and edge sharpness are only a small part of makes a good portrait, and I am a sucker for yet more examples and options.

A woman I know well was willing to be patient while I swapped lenses. Overcast, but bright conditions. A guy was holding a reflector to the right, but I'm not convinced he was holding it well. All shots on the SL2-S, with the lens wide open, and with the same distance to the subject. No adjustment of exposure in Lightroom. I set them all to the same white balance, and I am surprised how differently they have come out.

What white balance settings did You use? AWB? Are the values for colour temperature and tint the same for all shots?

1 hour ago, elmars said:

What white balance settings did You use? AWB? Are the values for colour temperature and tint the same for all shots?

I used AWB, but set them all to the same value in Lightroom, but that still gave the colour differences I see here. Before Austin in post the differences were more pronounced. I’m away from home at the moment but will post the exact values later. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jplomley said:

SIGMA are knocking it out of the park lately. I just purchased the 50/1.2 DG DN Art lens and had tempered my expectations having only shot with Leica lenses for the past 25 years, including the 21-35-75 APO's for the SL. Needless to say, I am absolutely floored by the 50/1.2, it excels beyond my wildest expectations! Portraits at f/1.2 are just epic, and by f/2.0 edges on a brick wall test are as sharp as the centre. AF is noticeably faster than my APO L lenses, and I dare say AF accuracy when compared to my 75 APO shot wide open. Absolutely zero regrets buying this SIGMA lens, and based on this experience, I am now seriously considering other optics in their line-up. Were they to introduce an updated 105/1.4 in L-mount, I would not hesitate to buy!

Not to deviate fom @LocalHero1953s portraits, but Sigma has some excellent, new lenses. The latest tested/used on my side is 70-200 f2.8 DG DN and 500 f5.6 DG DN, both exceptional. The 105mm macro is also outsrandung optically, but af is really pedestrian. (Re the latter, Panasonic 100mm f2.8 macro has an impressively fast af).

I also like Signa 85mm f1.4, but I have recently ‘discovered’ some wired flatness issues in landscape photography wide-ish open. I have to check this further to eliminate user error… Otherwise a great lens.

21 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Personally & most of the time, I like the green-/blueish tint in 75Lux-M. Perhaps not for portraits, but for details snd landscapes. And yes, Sigma 85 is more purpleish. Can’t say that I have notised any particular tint ‘issues’ with SL75 or SL90; these belong to the neutral colour cathegory in my book.

• Like 1

I didn’t intend this to be a thread just for my shots, but for anyone looking at different portrait lenses on L-mount. There have been threads about individual lenses, but no thread looking at them all. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, elmars said:

The As Shot WB settings (AWB set in-camera) were:

• Sigma 85: Temp 4150 Tint +14
  • Summilux-M 75: Temp 4400 Tint +17
  • Apo-Summicron-SL 75: Temp 4450 Tint +13.

I reduced the tint of the last one and applied it to the rest to see if it equalised them. It didn't but that was how I posted them anyway: Temp 4450, Tint +7.

I have just tried to match the images by adjusting WB. Very difficult to be sure, but I get the best match to the Apo Summicron SL with:

• Sigma 85: Temp 4300 Tint +3
  • Summilux-M 75: Temp 4745 Tint +14 (so perhaps the image is a bit more blue than the others, not green.)

But this is really nit-picking, and certainly not what I normally do - I aim for pleasing colour not, matched to some half-remembered reality.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

On 6/24/2024 at 9:00 AM, helged said:

Personally & most of the time, I like the green-/blueish tint in 75Lux-M. Perhaps not for portraits, but for details snd landscapes. And yes, Sigma 85 is more purpleish. Can’t say that I have notised any particular tint ‘issues’ with SL75 or SL90; these belong to the neutral colour cathegory in my book.

I use my 75 Summilux - M, 80 Summilux - R, 50 Summilux  (E60)- R and 35 Summilux - M V2, for portraits and everything else. They are my preferred lenses. I use all my Summilux lenses with my SL2-S.

• Like 2

Based on the epic performance of the SIGMA 50/1.2, I'm looking to add the bokeh master 105/1.4...however, only available in DG HSM, not DG DN, which I expect they will introduce soon as an update for mirrorless. The 105/1.4 is legendary amongst portrait photographers for good reason!

• Like 1

SL2-S + 75 Noctilux

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Is this wide open? And how often do you shoot this lens wide open?

I haven't shot much with it. I try to shoot it wide open but the aperture ring is very sensitive. It doesn't click into place. The two images here are at 1.4. 

This is wide open at 1.25:

Edited by Sohail
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1