Jump to content

Should I keep the M240 ?


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a used Q2 recently.

Was planning to sell the M240.

Then I realised that Q2 render photos very differently from the M240. Q2 has more clinical look (like Canon) and colors seems to be not as rich. It's very different from the X2 or x type 113 that I previously owned. X2 and X(113) are more similar to the M240.

Now, I'm hesitating if I should keep both...

Link to post
Share on other sites

M is M.

While the Q has its own sort of pleasure with it WYSIWYG EVF and crisp output, if you enjoy the RF experience then nothing else is like it.

Plus you can explore all the lens universe with the M ...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from the obvious RF difference, I would also keep the M240 because:

  1. The Q2 is 28mm only, and maybe 35mm cropped. In theory you can crop the Q2 to 50mm without issues and keep 14 MP.
    The M240 with 50mm M lens has 24MP and more importantly... If you crop, the DOF stays the same. So shot wide open at F1.7 your cropped 50 mm shot will have a DOF like a 50mm at F3.5.
    If anything, keep the Q2 for casual shots and the M240 for the flexibility of other lens options.
  2. The Q 28mm is very good, but not as good as the best 28mm M lenses. 
  3. The M240 with a tiny 28, 35 or 40mm would be more compact than the Q2
  4. It is hard to tell of course, but IMO the M240 prices have bottomed out now.  Keeping it will not cost you much. If the price of my M8 and M9 are a good reference to go by, then the M240 price will probably go up on the used market in the near future, like the M8 about 5 years ago and my M9 in the last few years. 

Just my 2 cents...

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 for keeping it.  I grew tried of my Q when the 28mm lens didn't fit all situations.  24mp Leica M continues to be a sweet spot, the images  compare well to the latest sensors in many ways.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

There will always be occasions during which I will want to use a 21mm lens. A Q cannot capture that angle of view. It is possible to “stitch” images, during post-processing, but, at the moment of capture, there are occasions when it it is not feasible to capture the series of images necessary to be able to stitch. An example would be the family images I captured in a tiny room at the care home, shortly before my father passed away. Multiple people were moving about. I was moving about. That was a time for 21mm action shooting.

I have less need for 75mm and 90mm lenses, but, less need is not the same thing as no need.

The character and rendering of the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH is what lured me to add the Leica M system. I do not own an M Type 240*, but, I learned to use my individual Summilux-M 50mm ASPH lens, while it was available for sale, pre-owned, at a nearby Leica dealer, using a pre-owned M9 camera, and a demonstrator M Type 240 camera, during multiple visits to the camera store. Using the rangefinder mechanism, to achieve focus, was an integral part of that experience.

Cropping a Q image to 50mm may be feasible, but such an image would not have the character of an image shot directly with my Summilux-M 50mm ASPH. I very much doubt that I could post-process a Q image to look like that which I would desire, and, moreover, do not like post-processing, anyway.

I do not “hate” Q cameras. I could, occasionally, use a Q to serve as a “convenience camera.”

*I made my final decision to buy that Summilux lens, based upon its performance on an M Type 240 rangefinder camera. Only after making that buying decision did I learn that it had just become possible to buy a new M10, without having to first be on a waiting list. So, my post-retirement self-gift became the Summilix, and an M10. I later added an M Type 246 Monochrom.

 

Edited by RexGig0
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you keep it, you will not loose money of you sell it at a later Stage.
My M-P 240 has a special place in my camera cabinet, just in the front behind my M10-R and M11M.
At the moment I am using the M-P 240 more then its successors.

So yes, absolutely, the M240 is a keeper.
Value might even go up in the near future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I too I’m considering moving on from the rangefinder. I’ve enjoyed my M240 and four lenses for many years.
 
I thought about trading it for a Q But after much deliberation, I’ve decided to go with the new RICOH GR. Trade the 240 and lenses on an SL and zoom to start, Either the Leica or the Sigma/Leica. I like the range of the original Leica zoom but I have to see how heavy it is?
 
These two kits seem like they make more sense as my eyes age. And I still get a full range of my photography needs
 
I don’t wanna collect cameras. I only want cameras that I use.
 
This esteemed groups thoughts are always welcome
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RexGig0 said:

There will always be occasions during which I will want to use a 21mm lens. A Q cannot capture that angle of view. It is possible to “stitch” images, during post-processing, but, at the moment of capture, there are occasions when it it is not feasible to capture the series of images necessary to be able to stitch. An example would be the family images I captured in a tiny room at the care home, shortly before my father passed away. Multiple people were moving about. I was moving about. That was a time for 21mm action shooting.

I have less need for 75mm and 90mm lenses, but, less need is not the same thing as no need.

The character and rendering of the Summilux-M 50mm ASPH is what lured me to add the Leica M system. I do not own an M Type 240*, but, I learned to use my individual Summilux-M 50mm ASPH lens, while it was available for sale, pre-owned, at a nearby Leica dealer, using a pre-owned M9 camera, and a demonstrator M Type 240 camera, during multiple visits to the camera store. Using the rangefinder mechanism, to achieve focus, was an integral part of that experience.

Cropping a Q image to 50mm may be feasible, but such an image would not have the character of an image shot directly with my Summilux-M 50mm ASPH. I very much doubt that I could post-process a Q image to look like that which I would desire, and, moreover, do not like post-processing, anyway.

I do not “hate” Q cameras. I could, occasionally, use a Q to serve as a “convenience camera.”

*I made my final decision to buy that Summilux lens, based upon its performance on an M Type 240 rangefinder camera. Only after making that buying decision did I learn that it had just become possible to buy a new M10, without having to first be on a waiting list. So, my post-retirement self-gift became the Summilix, and an M10. I later added an M Type 246 Monochrom.

 

😅 I also don’t like post processing… and in this era, sharing of pics to social media on the “instant” is the trend…

I also don’t keep cameras, I use them. I’m already feeling the seller remorse even before selling it 🤔😅🤔.

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ECohen said:

 

I too I’m considering moving on from the rangefinder. I’ve enjoyed my M240 and four lenses for many years.
 
I thought about trading it for a Q But after much deliberation, I’ve decided to go with the new RICOH GR. Trade the 240 and lenses on an SL and zoom to start, Either the Leica or the Sigma/Leica. I like the range of the original Leica zoom but I have to see how heavy it is?
 
These two kits seem like they make more sense as my eyes age. And I still get a full range of my photography needs
 
I don’t wanna collect cameras. I only want cameras that I use.
 
This esteemed groups thoughts are always welcome

My main camera is an M10-R / 50APO,  but I always have a second pocketable camera for some days, so recently was about to buy a GR IIIx HDF but hesitated as the Ricoh images were a bit too different to my liking.

Then a fortunate ebay bid landed an Leica X2 in my hands....... After shooting the X2, I am so thankful I hesitated on the Ricoh.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jskywalker said:

😅 I also don’t like post processing… and in this era, sharing of pics to social media on the “instant” is the trend…

I also don’t keep cameras, I use them. I’m already feeling the seller remorse even before selling it 🤔😅🤔.

In this case, your best choice is an iPhone or such. There is even a Leica app that makes your iPhone images have the look of various Leica lenses! I have an use an M-P(240) and SL2 but also plan to get a new iPhone 15 pro Max. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought an X2 new. It’s a lovely camera. Terrible in low light and its focus is extremely slow. Colors are wonderful and it’s a great carry around camera. I had no idea it had resale value.

I’m sure I could come up with a preset to make the ricoh gr colors usable/pleasant or just use it as a black-and-white camera, Funny that you mentioned an iPhone 15 pro I’m using one now and that is the reason I wanna go to an actual camera too many buttons to get my phones camera to where I can  take pictures. For me too many moments are missed trying to get a cell phone on and setup.( it’s probably me.) Fabulous camera!

After all these years photography should be easy and seamless. Isn’t that why we choose Leica, for the menus, and of course the build and the lenses?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you selling all your m lenses too? If not, you should keep your M240, espcially if you like its rendering better.

Fuji gear is easier to use for me, but Leica is my comfort food for the soul.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2024 at 6:05 PM, ECohen said:

 

I too I’m considering moving on from the rangefinder. I’ve enjoyed my M240 and four lenses for many years.
 
I thought about trading it for a Q But after much deliberation, I’ve decided to go with the new RICOH GR. Trade the 240 and lenses on an SL and zoom to start, Either the Leica or the Sigma/Leica. I like the range of the original Leica zoom but I have to see how heavy it is?
 
These two kits seem like they make more sense as my eyes age. And I still get a full range of my photography needs
 
I don’t wanna collect cameras. I only want cameras that I use.
 
This esteemed groups thoughts are always welcome

I understand your thoughts.

your short m-lenses ( for me 21mm and 35mm Zeiss ) on your Leica m240

and  longer lenses ( 50mm, 90mm ) on a Panasonic S5 and novoflex adapter , with focus peaking.

I love it !    hope It helps, Geert.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...