Wrist strap or neck strap?

That is wholly personal. I prefer to wear my camera bandolier style as I hate something dangling from my wrist or around my neck. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is actually very individual and largely depends on the typical use case. I use the Q3 with a wrist strap, but for me it acts as a camera for taking pictures only of my family and in the rain, I don't use the Q3 for anything else. With the Ricoh GR IIIx I don't use a strap at all. I carry all other cameras crossbody (Leica M11, Hasselblad X2D)

• Like 1

Wrist strap only on a camera that is small enough to slip quickly into a pocket, or it's a pain when I need both hands free (I usually have a back pack rather than a shoulder bag, so putting the camera away is a bit slow). Neck strap on everything else, though I have the camera in my hand most of the time.

Personally, I prefer a long strap because it is more versatile.  Around the neck, crossbody or just a couple of loops around my wrist and it becomes a wrist strap.  Sometimes I need both hands free without putting down the camera.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Wien said:

I find the peak design cuff ideal, particularly for the Q3, which would be easy to drop.

David

I prefer this one

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I personally use the Leica carrying strap with the peak design wrist strap attached to the camera. Perfect combination in my opinion for day to day photography. Leica stock photo provided below for reference.

Q2 Holster

Posted (edited)

I prefer wrist straps with the camera in a small bag together with one or two bits and bobs.  However I just bought a grip and find that the top of it fouls the wrist strap attachment.  Is anyone using the Peak Design cuff or the Leica leather wrist strap (both mentioned above) in conjunction with the handgrip?  If so, how do they fare with the grip?

Edited by warth man

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, warth man said:

I prefer wrist straps with the camera in a small bag together with one or two bits and bobs.  However I just bought a grip and find that the top of it fouls the wrist strap attachment.  Is anyone using the Peak Design cuff or the Leica leather wrist strap (both mentioned above) in conjunction with the handgrip?  If so, how do they fare with the grip?

Which grip do you have? I have the JJC HG-Q3 grip and the Leica thumb rest. The grip does not prevent use of the PD cuff attached directly to the top of the Q3; but I prefer to attach the it to the bar at the bottom of the RH end of the grip.

Apologies for the lousy photos: my Canon R6 doesnt like taling pictures of the Leica!

David

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by David Wien

Posted (edited)

It's the Leica one specifically for the Q2M, so I'm using a lug for the strap attachment.  No bar at the base of the grip.  My present wrist strap is a Hawkesmill one and the grip interferes enough for me to have taken the handgrip off.  A smaller split ring might do the trick but then I would need to add a new protective leather patch too.  The split ring on that Leica strap looks smaller and the PD cuff doesn't have one of course. 

To be honest, I've always been in two minds about adding things to smaller cameras because it rather defeats the purpose but I thought the extra grip might be nice to have on the Q2M.  For now, at least, I prefer the handling with the strap alone.

Edited by warth man
correction

On 6/11/2024 at 4:05 AM, jaapv said:

That is wholly personal. I prefer to wear my camera bandolier style as I hate something dangling from my wrist or around my neck. 

+1 

I try a wrist strap once in a while but still strongly prefer the bandolier style wear.

21 hours ago, Steve19958 said:

This YouTube video appeared in my feed. This Shows how to configure a neck strap into a wrist strap.

I’ve been carrying my Q3 like this for a couple of weeks now - after seeing it in another YouTube video - and it has now become the preferred way to carry my camera. I used to just coil the rope strap around my wrist but was always readjusting the strap which really p****d me off. Now, with this “cuff” carry the camera feels so much more secure around my wrist and is the most comfortable way, for me, to carry the camera when in use. 

• Like 1