M on a bike

lldd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone done extended bicycle riding while carrying an M camera?  Any issues, or hints on how you stored it while riding to minimize the impact of vibrations?

13 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Don’t fall off the bike.

And certainly not when wearing a camera bandolier style. Falling on it can result in serious injuries including damaging your spine. 

18 minutes ago, jaapv said:

And certainly not when wearing a camera bandolier style. Falling on it can result in serious injuries including damaging your spine. 

You’re not wrong. I recall club cyclists years ago that carries lunch and a few tools in the jersey pockets and suffered as a result.

i find a handlebars mounted light padded bag best but it’s never had my m11 in it and it probably never will. Pot holes are atrocious here!

I use a Hadley in my Ortlieb Back-Roller Classic bag. The Ortlieb bag is made from waterproof PVC and closes very well.
I never had my camera (including the sensitive M8) out of calibration because of taking it with me on my bike.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Anything with soft padding will do, 

It is not how extended it is, but cobblestones.

Those are real danger, if no suspension and slick tires. Mine are 25mm and steel frame, fork. 

I could go 80 km just fine, but even fifty meters on cobblestones makes phone falling off from the holder. 

Posted (edited)

I did one week of bike-packing in Scotland (60% gravel, 40% road) carrying my M10 in the Leica neoprene bag inside a handlebar bag without any issues and need to recalibrate after.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by gweber
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for your replies.  Sounds like this is doable if I take a bit of care when packing/padding the camera for the ride.

Posted (edited)

One of the small Pelican boxes would provide the ultimate in protection for an M camera and a lens or two. 

Yes, it might be a bit awkward to carry but we are talking about an extremely costly piece of photographic equipment. 

Come to think of it, explaining to your insurance company that you crashed your bike and wrecked a $10,000+ camera and lens and that they should pay to replace both would be more than a bit awkward...

Edited by Herr Barnack