M10 Acquired!

Campagnolo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Purchased preowned from Leica Store Miami. Props to Josh, he was very knowledgeable and helped me out for my first foray into the M-system. Have owned a Q2 for the past 18 months and have fallen in love with the Leica Ecosystem (fully as expected). Long time Nikon shooter before that. Paired it with a matching silver chrome Summicron 35mm ASPH v2 and pleased with the experience so far. RF has been very charming and I think I'm getting the hang of it (have been practicing in full manual with the Q2 to ease the transition). The lens has tons of Leica "mood" as well.

Looking for opinions on an ND filter for the summicron. 

Here are a few shots from the first 24 hours of ownership:

Sunset on the lake (bracketed HDR)

Son shooting me with the Q2 

Sleeping 997 

Looking forward to engaging more in the community! Cheers🍻

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Congratulations!
Enjoy the RF experience.
My take on ND filters... try not to shoot everything with your lens wide open. And stay at base ISO.
Where I live (Belgium), I rarely have had too much light, even at F2.0, so I did not need a ND filter so far. Maybe it would be more useful if I had a Noctilux.
YMMV

Even if your Summicron 35 is very good at F2.0, it gets even better if you stop it down a bit. And of course stopping down makes focusing so much easier.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Congrats. It’s a great camera. From the license plate, I assume you live in Florida, maybe even SoFla. I live in Miami. We’re really extremely fortunate to have such a great Leica store nearby. They’re always very knowledgeable and welcoming to all. It’s really more than just a store, it’s a great photo center dedicated to the art of photography. . 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, dpitt said:

Congratulations!
Enjoy the RF experience.
My take on ND filters... try not to shoot everything with your lens wide open. And stay at base ISO.
Where I live (Belgium), I rarely have had too much light, even at F2.0, so I did not need a ND filter so far. Maybe it would be more useful if I had a Noctilux.
YMMV

Even if your Summicron 35 is very good at F2.0, it gets even better if you stop it down a bit. And of course stopping down makes focusing so much easier.

Thank you! Yes, I'm realizing quickly that shooting at smaller apertures is much more forgiving in terms of focus. I ordered a UV filter in the meantime, but I may still need the ND when shooting in harsher lighting conditions. I'm in south Florida, so we get a LOT of intense sunlight. 

6 hours ago, AceVentura1986 said:

Congrats. It’s a great camera. From the license plate, I assume you live in Florida, maybe even SoFla. I live in Miami. We’re really extremely fortunate to have such a great Leica store nearby. They’re always very knowledgeable and welcoming to all. It’s really more than just a store, it’s a great photo center dedicated to the art of photography. . 

Thank you! We are indeed neighbors, I'm in Fort Lauderdale! The Leica store is phenomenal to have nearby to be able to handle gear before purchasing which is quite nice, but a little dangerous at the same time. Every time I go in, my wallet comes out much lighter for some reason!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Am 8.6.2024 um 21:24 schrieb Campagnolo:

Looking for opinions on an ND filter for the summicron.

Without ND-filter at 1/4000s usually stopping down to f/2.8 is sufficient in our region in Summer, so that's only on F-stop for the Cron - IMO not really worth, buying an ND filter. A Summilux or Noctilux are another story and may be Florida also needs an extra F-stop. I usually buy ND filters from B+W (Schneider Kreuznach, Germany). Neutral colors, good coating.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Campagnolo said:

Thank you! We are indeed neighbors, I'm in Fort Lauderdale! 

I'm in Fort Lauderdale - a few weeks before Thanksgiving and then end of March :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 3D-Kraft.com said:

Without ND-filter at 1/4000s usually stopping down to f/2.8 is sufficient in our region in Summer, so that's only on F-stop for the Cron - IMO not really worth, buying an ND filter. A Summilux or Noctilux are another story and may be Florida also needs an extra F-stop. I usually buy ND filters from B+W (Schneider Kreuznach, Germany). Neutral colors, good coating.

We shall see! I ordered a UV filter in the meantime, but the summer is here and I should know if I need one very soon!

16 hours ago, brickftl said:

I'm in Fort Lauderdale - a few weeks before Thanksgiving and then end of March :)

Very cool! Asheville the rest of the year? I have family in Raleigh and we head up that way at least once per year. Love NC.

2 hours ago, FotoMonkey said:

Congrats and howdy from Jax.

Thank you sir! We always stop by Jax on road trips, cool town!