Is an M10 file similar to an SL2-S file?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm in need of another SL2-S for weddings this year to equip my second photographer, but was thinking that maybe I can give the second one of my SL2-S' and instead take the opportunity to maybe get an M camera again (I've had a couple M6's in the past but currently don't have one). Ideally I'd love for the SL2-S files to mix well with whatever M I go with, it just makes editing way faster/easier when the files are similar. 

Is the M10 the most similar of all the M bodies to the SL2-S in terms of color and overall output? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi, as an owner of a Leica SL2-S and an M10-P & -D, I would say that the raw files are not similar and therefore can’t be treated identically in terms of the digital workflow. But similar is a broad term in the world of digital photography. And of course its meaning also depends on personal preferences and photographic needs.

However, technical specifications suggest that the two different CMOS sensors generations do not deliver similar files:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Leica-M10-versus-Leica-SL2-S___1207_1360

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Leica M10,Leica SL2-S

PS: You should give the SL3 a try as second body. You get everything you like about the SL2-S but with improved UI, improved ergonomics, lighter weight and higher resolution. I did only a couple of test shots with the SL3 but found these files to be very similar to my SL2-S files. 🙂

Edited by RF’sDelight
  • Like 1

SL2-S and M10 are, sadly, very different. Also, the M10 has only one card slot, so I wouldn't use it for any work where loss of images would be catastrophic. Same goes for the SL3 with the weird image overwrite bug, let them sort that out first via firmware!

The SL2-S is an amazing camera for weddings, used prices are under 2.500 EUR at the moment, just get a second body. Or an SL2, they are not to far apart when it comes to the DNG files. Or, if you really want an M, the M11 is the better option (internal memoty plus card, better low light, better exposure, exposure on highlights, to name a few). But again, files are very different and it has it's very own set of bugs.

I have both the SL2S and a M10. They produce similar but different files. Colors are ever so slightly different and the shadow detail is different. But the odds are your client will never notice. You can profile or just compensate in post. Try opening the shadows and adding a bit of black on the M10 shots. Not too much, mind you. And maybe a little more sharpening. 
That said, I have no problem shooting with both cameras at the same time. I just use a 75/2 or a 105 or 100-400 on the SL2S and a 35 on the M10. Works fine for whatever I do but if I were shooting weddings, I go 70-200 on the SL2S and a 50/1.2 or 1.4 on the M10, and have a 28/2 in my bag or pocket.

You might also consider a Q2 or Q3.

http://www.barefootinkauai.com

HelloBrandonScott,  Based on my experience with the file colors, the SL2-S and M10-R have the most like and best color when comparing these two cameras.  Color perception is subjective. But IMO, these are the two cameras closest to each other.   r/ Mark

Posted (edited)

Unsurprisingly when it comes to colour, everyone has a different take. I own the sl2s and m10r and find that the colours differ a fair bit. The m10r leans towards the green a little and the sl2s the other way, being more neutral.  The sl2s for me is closest to the m11 with a little less magenta. The files are also a little cooler than the m10 series in my experience. 

Edited by costa43

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an SL2-s and an M10-P. To give some context about the way I use them, I always set cameras to DNG in the standard resolution and process them with DxO PhotoLab (v. 7, i.e., the current one). My processing is usually rather simple (usually, I only do adjustments to light curve, contrast, vibrancy, noise reduction).

I find the files of the two cameras not too far apart in terms of colour (white balance and such), but more different in terms of how low light areas render. I believe what I am seeing here is just the fact that the SL2-s has a lot more dynamic range, due to the greater bit depth. Files from the SL2-s can be pushed more and provide more detail in shadows when needed whereas M10-P files are less forgiving. But still I am quite pleased about the fact the kind of adjustments I make in PL are rather similar for both cameras.

As far as overall output, I find them much closer than other pairs of cameras I had in the past. I guess sensors have just become so good that it makes less difference for the kind of prints I make (typically up to 13"x19", rarely more).

On 7/6/2024 at 1:13 AM, RF’sDelight said:

Hi, as an owner of a Leica SL2-S and an M10-P & -D, I would say that the raw files are not similar and therefore can’t be treated identically in terms of the digital workflow. But similar is a broad term in the world of digital photography. And of course its meaning also depends on personal preferences and photographic needs.

However, technical specifications suggest that the two different CMOS sensors generations do not deliver similar files:

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Leica-M10-versus-Leica-SL2-S___1207_1360

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Leica M10,Leica SL2-S

PS: You should give the SL3 a try as second body. You get everything you like about the SL2-S but with improved UI, improved ergonomics, lighter weight and higher resolution. I did only a couple of test shots with the SL3 but found these files to be very similar to my SL2-S files. 🙂

Improved ergonomics are a personal preference. To me, the SL3 actually has worse ergonomics. They made the camera thicker but shorter, which to me is a horrible design decision. Now I need to stretch my hands more, and my pinky is out of the grip like with Sony and Panasonic S5 bodies. It's also a slower camera, not a faster one, even with the phase detect.

On 6/8/2024 at 10:15 AM, hellobrandonscott said:

I'm in need of another SL2-S for weddings this year to equip my second photographer, but was thinking that maybe I can give the second one of my SL2-S' and instead take the opportunity to maybe get an M camera again (I've had a couple M6's in the past but currently don't have one). Ideally I'd love for the SL2-S files to mix well with whatever M I go with, it just makes editing way faster/easier when the files are similar. 

Is the M10 the most similar of all the M bodies to the SL2-S in terms of color and overall output? 

they are different. I had both for quite some time. Recently upgraded the m10 to m11, but i keep my sl2s.

The m10 and sl2s actually do have different outputs, also be aware that the m10 kind of clips highlights way easier than the sl2s. So you can avoid less noise shadows by not having to underexpose that much with the sl2s.