Leica Correction Lens/Diopter question.

AllenB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm for fortunate to have had great eyesight most of my life but as is the case with many of us as we age we need at least reading glasses.  I only wear a 1.5 strength but would like to get a diopter to help make things a little sharper for me while focusing but I'm not really sure what strength I should get since I've read something about the Leica eyepiece already having a slight magnification.  Can anyone give me some idea what I may need and is it a pretty easy thing to put on?

Posted (edited)

If you’re not close to a dealer, you might just stop by a local optician that stocks free trial diopters. I did that and simply experimented with a couple over the VF eyepiece to see if focusing improved. Turned out that, despite wearing glasses that correct for astigmatism and distance, my aging eyes benefit from also adding a +.5 diopter, which I then ordered from a Leica store. No need to do math; it just worked. (The Leica diopter simply screws on the threaded eyepiece.  Just needs to be screwed on tightly to avoid loosening.)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 3

+1 for experimenting with the optician. Make sure to take the camera with you.

When you are at +1.5 reading glasses now, you probably have had some reading glasses with less correction before this. In my case, I use glasses that I used for computer work 5 years ago. They are far to weak now for that but they are now perfect to see the focus patch of my M9 which is at a virtual 2m distance.
So if you have to guess, try to use glasses that are best to see 20/20 at 2m distance for your eyes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AllenB said:

I'm for fortunate to have had great eyesight most of my life but as is the case with many of us as we age we need at least reading glasses.  I only wear a 1.5 strength but would like to get a diopter to help make things a little sharper for me while focusing but I'm not really sure what strength I should get since I've read something about the Leica eyepiece already having a slight magnification.  Can anyone give me some idea what I may need and is it a pretty easy thing to put on?

What country are you in?

43 minutes ago, AllenB said:

Yea, the beauty of being retired.  

I’ve been retired for 16 years… only need to catch up on 19 countries (family care responsibilities until recently).  Hopefully some of the countries you visit have opticians and/or Leica dealers. 

Jeff

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I’ve been retired for 16 years… only need to catch up on 19 countries (family care responsibilities until recently).  Hopefully some of the countries you visit have opticians and/or Leica dealers. 

Jeff

I went to the Leica Store in Japan and Austria last month but I hadn't yet purchased my m11P.  I considered buying one there but it was out of stock and much more expensive than in the US so I waited until I got back.  Unfortunately, I don't have a Leica Store in my state but I do go to New York often so I may wait until I go there.