Leica LUX App for iPhone: Leica goes Mobile!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some with the 75mm Setting at mid distance.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I downloaded it and the images look nice. Anyone notice that it goes to the same place your FOTOS app goes when shooting in RAW.

Not sure if I will try the Professional features but I shot at my kiddo's Winn Dixie school party today and I had my M11-P... neither the app nor my M (with the new FW) froze when taking pictures so I can say I am somewhat impressed.

I'll charge my phone fully and take the App for a spin against my M11-P or SL2-S at night and see what happens. I will assume the actual cameras will do better (they certainly feel better)... but curious.

I feel like digital photography has hardly scratched the surface (sans AI). Yes there are other apps, I've used basically all of them. This one feels incomplete but then I haven't used it that much and Apps can change in an instant with updates.

Those that like to take photos with our iPhones should at least try it out for a day or two, IMO. If you don't, don't.

meh, i already get some quite interesting effects from my phone 

• Haha 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb 105012:

I like that the Leica LUX app remembers your focal length choice (Apple Camera app always returns to wide angle, so annoying). 

That is strange.  On my iPhone 15 pro Max sadly enough it is just the other why around: The camera app always remembers the 35mm (1.5x zoom) setting. But the LUX app always starts with 1.4,  28 SLX and LEICA STD. Quite annoying. I wish it would keep the last settings regarding aperture, focal length and Leica look.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Geoff C. Bassett:

Bottom right of main screen set it to Aperture mode. Then you should be able to select by lens

Thank you, but strangely enough there is 75mm lens on my app:

3 minutes ago, Blues Bird said:

Thank you, but strangely enough there is 75mm lens on my app:

That's really weird, I have the 14 Pro and don't have the 135 option. Prefer having the 75 though.   

16 minutes ago, Blues Bird said:

That is strange.  On my iPhone 15 pro Max sadly enough it is just the other why around: The camera app always remembers the 35mm (1.5x zoom) setting. But the LUX app always starts with 1.4,  28 SLX and LEICA STD. Quite annoying. I wish it would keep the last settings regarding aperture, focal length and Leica look.

35mm is wide angle. If only the Apple Camera app would always start in the focal length I prefer. I have the wide setting at 1.2x (28mm equivalent), which I prefer to the awkward 35mm equivalent (60 degree angle of view), if only it would come up in a normal 50mm...

In P mode, Leica LUX does remember the focal length, always comes up as 48mm equivalent, yippee! 

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Geoff C. Bassett:

That's really weird, I have the 14 Pro and don't have the 135 option. Prefer having the 75 though.   

Yeah, weird since according to this:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?modelList=iphone-14-pro,iphone-15-pro

the cameras should be the same. And yes, I would prefer the 75 too. The 135mm is kind of gimmick-y.

And while we are at it: Did you also notice that fotos taken with iPhone camera app do look brighter (more HDR-ish) then the same motif  taken with the LUX app in the iPhone foto app (same thing on Macbook btw) ?

Posted (edited)
vor 27 Minuten schrieb 105012:

35mm is wide angle. If only the Apple Camera app would always start in the focal length I prefer. I have the wide setting at 1.2x (28mm equivalent), which I prefer to the awkward 35mm equivalent (60 degree angle of view), if only it would come up in a normal 50mm...

In P mode, Leica LUX does remember the focal length, always comes up as 48mm equivalent, yippee! 

Well, 35 mm is not awkward and while technically considered a wide angle it has in fact become kind of a standard focal length. 

But anyway, regarding your problem with 28mm and the camera app: You can set this as a standard in the main iPhone settings and the camera will start always with 28mm:

Edited by Blues Bird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blues Bird said:

Under settings in the app you can set it to "Last Used"

Posted (edited)
vor 17 Minuten schrieb Geoff C. Bassett:

Under settings in the app you can set it to "Last Used"

Unfortunately this only works for the camera mode itself - P or A. But not the settings within mode A. Leica needs to change this asap.

Regarding the 75 vs. 135mm: I overlooked that there is a difference between the cameras in the iPhone 14 (or 15) Pro and iPhone 14 (or 15) Pro Max. The largest optical zoom is 3x versus 5x. So Leica took the closest fixed focal length, I guess.

Edited by Blues Bird

To those, testing the 75mm Noctilux bokeh emulation:

Does it also create Bokeh-Balls for Highlights in the out-of-focus area like this:

Wow, all I can focus on with the app is the €79 a year or nearly €800 over 10 years. Even at €79 to buy the app outright it is still too expensive. I can't see Leica renting out many of the apps. 

OK, that is the rant over. The free version is pretty good, I just wish I could change lenses and exposure. For that I would pay €20 to unlock those features, but on a once off payment only. Oh, and an option to control colour balance would be nice too. 

But at nearly €80 a year, EVERY year...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jto555 said:

But at nearly €80 a year, EVERY year...

Many people use the iPhone as their everyday camera, so €800 per decade isn't all that much if it delivers.

• Like 1