Leica LUX App for iPhone: Leica goes Mobile!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Blues Bird said:

Nice!  

Als always: some folks complain and some folks make pictures...

Fair enough. Are they any different or better than standard iPhone photographs though?

That was my point. 

I tried it. It's very hit and miss, to be honest, but I got a nice picture of my dog with it.

They claim they use ML and some kinds of AI post-processing, but it looks more like it's just applying color corrections to the image. 

I am not very concerned about the price, I'd happily pay more if the results were good. So far it's mostly underwhelming.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Tried it for two seconds. Deleted.

I don’t see any character to the out of focus areas beyond what the iPhone portrait mode already gives me, which is just simple blur.

Someone wake me up when Leica actually gets the out of focus areas to look like the lenses selected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

Sue them if they’ve breached your trade name or your intellectual property. 

We're not a multimillion dollar corporation. We can't afford extensive IP litigation, and unfortunately they probably know that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 15 Minuten schrieb andybarton:

Fair enough. Are they any different or better than standard iPhone photographs though?

That was my point. 

Sorry, but no, that was not your point. Your point was:

Zitat

Have you tried taking the same/similar photographs with the native App and using, say, Snapseed to process?

Which, of course is a different question.  The photographs themselves can't be any better because the same hardware and lenses are used.

So your original question was already going in the right direction: Can the end result, i.e. the edited photo, also be achieved with an iPhone and post-processing by another app? 

But even if the answer is “yes”, it wouldn't be the same. I think many people - myself included - would see it as a time-saving advantage if the finished photo could be achieved with practically one click instead of having to fiddle around with the iPhone and some apps after the fact.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My point was…. 

Does this app do anything that you can’t do with a standard iPhone (on its own) or with some free post-processing software? OK, two points, I’ll grant you that  

The answer is “No”. To both  

So, why would anyone pay seven quid a month for something they already have access to?

• Like 5

These three images are made with an iPhone XV using:

The ƒ setting in the native Apple Camera with the x5 (longest focal length lens).

The Aperture setting in the Leica Lux App with the 135mm lens.

The third image is made with the Apple Camera x5 and has no "softness" added.

The Apple Camera and Leica Lux show the degree of softness while making the images. Photos allows the degree of softness to be adjusted in editing.

The Leica Lux App has some filters that simulate "Leica color".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

vor 15 Minuten schrieb andybarton:

So, why would anyone pay seven quid a month for something they already have access to?

I already gave you the answer to this question in my last post. Whether you like it or not is up to you.

5 hours ago, Michael Jones said:

With regard to cost, I have used a Leica for more than 40 years for personal photography.  From a Leica IIIF to my current Q2.  Sadly, Leica has priced themselves out of my reach and this app is yet another example.  I cannot invest $15,000 for an SL body and ONE lens. And as far as the app, If a cell phone can deliver the "Leica Look," why do I need the mega dollar camera??  Thank you Leica for all the photographic pleasure you have given me in the past, but sadly, I cannot journey with you into the future with no professional use to cover the premium cost of ownership.

Fortunately, the gear you have now will carry you into the future with complete satisfaction and no sense of being left behind.

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

That second one must be an M8 emulation with the strange transparency IR look? in the rose. The first? Candy floss reds and blown highlights.

I have one app that I downloaded centuries ago (I’m joking, maybe 2016) and it has exactly the same over pinky and glowing colors, any photos will look alike in Leica Lux app.

But it was fun to try something new, at least to stick with what I already have in simple iPhone photo editing features. 

• Like 1

Silly money. 

I’d rather see the Looks available to M11 users, even only in LR as settings if not possible in camera. 

I’m reasonably confident that my M11-P is likely to be my last new body. The 12 would need to offer something truly staggering to get me to consider it at the likely NZ$20,000 launch price. 

I’ll find another 11 series in unused Rich Dentist Condition and get that instead I expect. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I Did some Tests for fun. Real Summilux 35mm FLE2 vs LUX APP. 

tbh they did it quite good. 

Edited by pvaihin
  • Like 6