Leica LUX App for iPhone: Leica goes Mobile!

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I have tried a number of photo apps on a smartphone, but eventually concluded that I want a smartphone to take quick snaps that require no preliminary choices, settings etc, and if I want to edit a shot, I'd rather do it on a big screen. If I want to take the best photo I can, I will use a single-function, ergonomically designed camera. For a quickie, I will use iPhone Camera on default settings.

And I find the simplest way to make my phone pictures look like non-snaps is to hold the phone in landscape mode and keep horizons and verticals as they should be. Portrait mode and tombstones are for selfies and parties.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

Obviouly it's a cash grab attempt at following the success of VSCO, Halide and other subscription based photo apps. Not an app I'm interested in, but perhaps it can have some success, if they market it well and develop it well, two things where Leica clearly lags behind the competition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

And I find the simplest way to make my phone pictures look like non-snaps is to hold the phone in landscape mode and keep horizons and verticals as they should be. Portrait mode and tombstones are for selfies and parties.

For a quickie with iPhone 13pro when I don't have my gear I use the portrait mode because it allows an excellent 1.4 aperture and consequent DOF... but nothing is my Leica!
Here one I took with the IPhone photo app, 
ISO 50
f/1.5
1/468

5.7mm

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lucena said:

For a quickie with iPhone 13pro when I don't have my gear I use the portrait mode because it allows an excellent 1.4 aperture and consequent DOF... but nothing is my Leica!

For clarification, by 'landscape mode' I meant holding the phone horizontally, not selecting a mode intended for landscapes! I understand why you choose a mode intended for portraits, but making that selection is one tap too many for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Obviouly it's a cash grab attempt at following the success of VSCO, Halide and other subscription based photo apps. Not an app I'm interested in, but perhaps it can have some success, if they market it well and develop it well, two things where Leica clearly lags behind the competition.

We make Halide. We actually had conversations with Leica at their insistence on potential collaboration. Needless to say it's disappointing to see them having ghosted us and then release an app with the same name as our company (Lux Optics) despite our urging them not to. As a longtime Leica user I'm incredibly disappointed with the company. 

Edited by sdw
  • Like 9

I’m trying it now. No idea how one finds the various “Leica lens” options. 

I doubt I’ll continue after the two week trial. 

Edit: Hang on. They’ve just turned up. How, I don’t know. 

Edit, edit: You need to set Aperture mode. 

Edit, edit, edit: If this lasts until the weekend, I’ll be surprised. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sdw said:

We make Halide. We actually had conversations with Leica at their insistence on potential collaboration. Needless to say it's disappointing to see them having ghosted us and then release an app with the same name as our company (Lux Optics) despite our urging them not to. As a longtime Leica user I'm incredibly disappointed with the company. 

Sue them if they’ve breached your trade name or your intellectual property. 

Posted (edited)

I appreciate it may be a different target group, but you can't on one hand extoll the virtues (and present yourself as a champion) of Content Authenticity - and offer *this* on the other...

How about allocating the programming budget to fixing actual (firmware) issues? Just a thought...

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NaAn said:

Trying now and it looks like just another filters for me 😉

That second one must be an M8 emulation with the strange transparency IR look? in the rose. The first? Candy floss reds and blown highlights.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Downloaded the 2 week trail to see what it can do. I like what they are doing with the processing. Seems pretty natural. iPhone 14 Pro

Edited by Geoff C. Bassett
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

I bought the app. How will I know if it's any good if I don't use it? $70 is a cheap Noctilux and using one on my iPhone is so much easier than on a Leica M or SL! I look forward to seeing the development of the app during the year. Here are my two first photos. I used Aperture mode and the setting was at ƒ/1.2. A real Noctilux won't focus this close. The iPhone is the best close-up camera I have ever used because of the tiny sensor and lens which has amazing depth of field... much easier than using a Linhof with a Luminar!

The native Apple Camera has an ƒ setting that simulates an out-of-focus look with any focal lengths. Color can be changed in the editor to simulate the Leica look, or any other look. There is competition in the fuzzy look apps offered. I'll discover if the Leica App offers anything special. This App is new. Collaborating with some of the Apps that already work could help Leica. 

Edited by cliveruss
  • Like 2

vor 25 Minuten schrieb Geoff C. Bassett:

Downloaded the 2 week trail to see what it can do. I like what they are doing with the processing. Seems pretty natural. iPhone 14 Pro

Nice!  

Als always: some folks complain and some folks make pictures...

• Like 4

What it appears they have forgotten in the simulations is to mimic the field curvature around the frame edges to reproduce the “swirl effect”. Otherwise, the classic Noct simulations will look too modern.

• Like 1