Do I need an SL3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, o2mpx said:

At the top level it seems there are 5 improvement areas, 60mp, the flip screen, improved low light or overall IQ, autofocus and slightly less weight/size. The power button and top knob might not get agreement that those are substantial improvements. Whether these are enough to spend a few thousand is personal. 

to me, there is more.

USB charging during the shoot is big / Touch screen/records every resolution to card/ time code /New card system that is fast/ DR and ISO/

and let's not forget that Leica LOOKS 🤣

None of the changes to the SL3 are revolutionary. But the total amount of small improvements together with the much better high iso picture quality make for an altogether much better experience. Whether it’s worth the money only you can judge.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

So in the end it was the slightly better shutter sound which gave the edge for him?

Yep.

I didn’t like the new shutter either. three months later I think I prefer it. But I’m weird, as most of you realise by now.

Gordon

p.s. There’s no such thing as *needing* a Leica. They’re all wants. So if you want…..

• Like 3

vor 5 Minuten schrieb FlashGordonPhotography:

Yep.

I didn’t like the new shutter either. three months later I think I prefer it. But I’m weird, as most of you realise by now.

Gordon

p.s. There’s no such thing as *needing* a Leica. They’re all wants. So if you want…..

I agree. I also  prefer the SL2-S shutter sound, but after some days with the SL3 I seem to not think about it any more and got used to it.

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hits and misses for the SL3 vs 2.

Hits:

* Better balance.

* flippy screen..

* Improved DR and file malleability.

* Leicons (sort of)

* buttons moved to right side. (Playback in EVF easier)

* mostly similar to SL2

Misses:

* loss of a custom button (rear click wheel)

* new dial (not enough options)

* Home Screen (not enough options)

* power button (no sleep indicator)

* beta firmware (grrrrr!) no high res shot etc.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography

18 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

loss of a custom button (rear click wheel)

Since I received my SL3 I haven’t used my SL2 once. It has just been sitting in the dry cabinet. The only thing that I miss about the SL2 is the above, customizable rear wheel. Maybe it feels a little better in hand, but with the battery grip on the SL3 I like it more. And the files in the SL3 are more pleasing, too. I’m not ready to buy another as a backup just yet, but maybe one day I will. For now the SL2 is an excellent backup. But the 3 is the daily carry for sure.