True Leica Look…!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It just occurred to me the “True Leica Look” can only come from Digital Leica cameras after the M9.  A Leica film camera only shows the film stocks (color rendering) of Kodak, Fuji Film and others. 
A Leica Digital camera’s color science of the sensor, the MD 262 for example, made to Leica specifications in Belgium reveals what Leica considers its color palette as unique and different from other brands…! 

• Haha 1

I see your point, but to me, it’s the rendering of the Leica optics that really stands out, regardless of the film stock.  It’s the ability of the lenses to retain subtle shadow detail without blowing out the highlights that first drew me to Leica…before digital was available.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anthony MD said:

It just occurred to me the “True Leica Look” can only come from Digital Leica cameras after the M9...

😸

Excellent post Anthony! I'm just going to nip out briefly to buy a very large bag of popcorn and a nice bottle of Chablis! But your thread may have turned out to be even more entertaining had you posted this in the 'Leica Film Camera' sub-forum...

😸

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, pippy said:

😸

Excellent post Anthony! I'm just going to nip out briefly to buy a very large bag of popcorn and a nice bottle of Chablis! But your thread may have turned out to be even more entertaining had you posted this in the 'Leica Film Camera' sub-forum...

😸

Philip.

Popcorn and chablis...you'll get sick, Philip 😃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

There's so many variables now.

Cameras back in the film era were nothing but light-tight boxes to hold the film and open the shutter accurately.  Each new body brought nothing new to the table in that area.  Stick one lens on and you'll get one style of picture, stick another on and you'll get another.  Leica lenses were considered "the bees knees" back then, so makes sense that they created a look many other lenses didn't replicate.

Fast forward and every other new Leica has a new sensor, different megapixel count etc.     So the only thing that can be the same between cameras is the software algorithms built into the camera that process the image.

Assuming the algorithms are mostly the same across Leica bodies, but "scaled up" for each new sensor, then maybe that indicates the camera has something to do with "the look".  But surely the only bit of the algorithm that would impact on the look would be the "colour* science" (*color, for the hard of English 😁).   And no sooner is that wonderful colour science loaded into your favourite image editor, then it'll no doubt be subtly (or drastically) changed.

And if that's the case, then today the "Leica look" must be a combination of Lens, Sensor, Software-in-Camera, Image Editor, and screen.  And possibly printer.

So... which one of you has the right combination of all those ingredients to consider yourself getting the definitive Leica look? 🤪

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anthony MD said:

It just occurred to me the “True Leica Look” can only come from Digital Leica cameras after the M9.  A Leica film camera only shows the film stocks (color rendering) of Kodak, Fuji Film and others. 
A Leica Digital camera’s color science of the sensor, the MD 262 for example, made to Leica specifications in Belgium reveals what Leica considers its color palette as unique and different from other brands…! 

You've got it all wrong. It's not the color rendering, it's the GLOW, man!

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lelmer said:

Popcorn and chablis...you'll get sick, Philip 😃

Thanks for the concern, Lelmer, but no; the popcorn is 'AOC Grande Cru Classé' so I should be fine...

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow… I wasn’t aware that this debate has been so long standing.  For full disclosure, I rarely shoot color film, so my interpretation of the Leica “look” is through the rendering in black and white… mostly HP5 and TX.  At box speed, Leica optics beat out my previous lenses.  

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Anthony MD said:

The look is the film stock for me…!

😸 😸 😸

So the coice of lens-used is utterly inconsequential?

When a roll of Kodachrome 25 (for instance) was loaded in to a Leica it instictlively knew that it had to behave in a different manner from when it was loaded in to a camera from another manufacturer just in order to provide the (still Yet-To-Be-Beatified) " Leica Glow"?

Yup. That makes perfect sense!

Popcorn is still holding-up well but I fear that the Burgundy is entering the Sunset of its Days (although I would stress that I have had some help to achieve this state of affairs)....

Philip.

Edited by pippy

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, pippy said:

😸 😸 😸

So the coice of lens-used is utterly inconsequential?

When a roll of Kodachrome 25 (for instance) was loaded in to a Leica it instictlively knew that it had to behave in a different manner from when it was loaded in to a camera from another manufacturer just in order to provide the (still Yet-To-Be-Beatified) " Leica Glow"?

Yup. That makes perfect sense!

Popcorn is still holding-up well but I fear that the Burgundy is entering the Sunset of its Days (although I would stress that I have had some help to achieve this state of affairs)....

Philip.

No, the Leica look needs a Leica lens to have a Leica look also…!

Edited by Anthony MD
  • Thanks 1

This is the 'Leica look'.....

A man stands confidently, his attire a blend of classic and modern styles. He wears a fedora hat, its brim casting a subtle shadow over his face, giving him an air of mystery and sophistication. Slung across his shoulder is a high-end bag, its polished leather surface and sleek design indicating its expensive nature. In his hands, he carefully holds a Leica camera, known for its precision and quality, suggesting he has a keen interest in photography or perhaps is a professional photographer. His posture and accessories imply that he values quality and style, and is possibly someone who appreciates the finer things in life.

• Haha 8

The Leica Look:

1.  A Sensor developed or has specifications by Leica.

2.  A Leica lens.

3.  A Leica camera.

4.  A film camera that shoots only film developed by Leica…!

10 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

This is the 'Leica look'.....

A man stands confidently, his attire a blend of classic and modern styles. He wears a fedora hat, its brim casting a subtle shadow over his face, giving him an air of mystery and sophistication. Slung across his shoulder is a high-end bag, its polished leather surface and sleek design indicating its expensive nature. In his hands, he carefully holds a Leica camera, known for its precision and quality, suggesting he has a keen interest in photography or perhaps is a professional photographer. His posture and accessories imply that he values quality and style, and is possibly someone who appreciates the finer things in life.

I’m more the sloppy-vagrant look. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1