My new M2 have spots

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got my very beautiful M2 which looks very nice and little sign of use, however I noticed spots on the focusing screen, it a bit effects the ease of focusing but still I can focus. I didnt contact the seller yet what do you think is that ? should I return it? bought it 1600$ 

check the next photo for focus

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

there was no mention of that at all

You definitely overpaid the camera. In EU, mint M2s of 1mio serial number run from 1000-1200 euros on average.
Seems you have had some bad luck with your analog M's... first the M5 with fungus, now this.

Not retail, in the UK, they don't.

Red Dot have four M2s for sale. Ignoring the black painted one, they range from £1,150 to £1,500 ($1,500 - $1,900) (€1,350 - €1,750) and these are "just" Exc/Exc+ examples. The cheapest one shows signs of "separation" of the prisms in the viewfinder and is a bit rough around the edges (still "Exc" though).

https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/247-m-bodies?q=Leica+M+Models-M2

I would think that the spots wouldn't affect the focussing of the camera, but it is a bit of a pain.

My M2 has some mark on the rangefinder patch which can’t be easily fixed (I think the guy who serviced it said something about it being on the mirror silvering within the rangefinder assembly).

It is ‘just’ cosmetic but should have been mentioned by the seller. Was it a dealer or individual?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I wrote in EU very clearly.
I also think making a "market analisys" based on one UK store is wrong.
This is the latest from eBay from Germany, Spain, Italy compiled. And we know eBay is up to 20% above second hand market in classifieds.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, malfaris said:

Just got my very beautiful M2......I noticed spots on the focusing screen, it a bit effects the ease of focusing but still I can focus......

Is it possible for you to work out where the marks are located / coming from? If it is simply the outside of the v/f windows (obviously) they just need to be wiped clean. If the marks are on the inside of the v/f it is still a fairly simple process (remove / re-fit top-plate) which will take around 15-20 mins. If the marks are on any of the prisms and other stuff then that might be a slightly different matter to resolve.

Philip.

Posted (edited)

since the camera is in very good shape I don't mind trying to fix it. I cleaned the outside which didnt help so its from inside. regard removing the top place I thought that's tough one to do? I don't mind doing even 1 hour work if I can solve it , however I am worried I will make it worse since I didnt do it before. 

I just noticed the issue is inside the small screen which I think its called rangefinder patch? which reflect in the viewfinder focus box

Edited by malfaris

55 minutes ago, andybarton said:

Not retail, in the UK, they don't.

Red Dot have four M2s for sale. Ignoring the black painted one, they range from £1,150 to £1,500 ($1,500 - $1,900) (€1,350 - €1,750) and these are "just" Exc/Exc+ examples. The cheapest one shows signs of "separation" of the prisms in the viewfinder and is a bit rough around the edges (still "Exc" though).

https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/247-m-bodies?q=Leica+M+Models-M2

I would think that the spots wouldn't affect the focussing of the camera, but it is a bit of a pain.

Yea I did some test one my children and I think I can manage to get use to it, the viewfinder is clean and crisp which help. I am worried it some sort of fungus that might spread.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

You definitely overpaid the camera. In EU, mint M2s of 1mio serial number run from 1000-1200 euros on average.
Seems you have had some bad luck with your analog M's... first the M5 with fungus, now this.

I got lucky with an M3

I did my research and focus on the outside more which meant paying more, there are many that look mint at the start but when you read the details they have one issue or another that I don't like , this seller said the rangefinder working good. which is right however these spots are annoying a bit but found myself getting used to it, but sometimes I tell my self why I should deal with it. however everything else seems working fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

My M2 has some mark on the rangefinder patch which can’t be easily fixed (I think the guy who serviced it said something about it being on the mirror silvering within the rangefinder assembly).

It is ‘just’ cosmetic but should have been mentioned by the seller. Was it a dealer or individual?

its a dealer,

@Al Brown

It depends where you look for prices. The top end of the standard mint condition M2's seems to be higher on ebay. All these were sold recently...

I think I'd either ask the dealer to pay to have it cleaned or return it. You definitely can do better, and if you keep it the spots will increasingly become an annoyance.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dpitt said:

@Al Brown

It depends where you look for prices. The top end of the standard mint condition M2's seems to be higher on ebay. All these were sold recently...

Top end is limitless. Go to Goerlitz or Leicashop, you can get M2s for 2500 euros easily there lol 😀
And because you are from EU and are showing us UK and US sold prices - know that there is TAX added to those prices automatically by ebay (not import tax).

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, malfaris said:

its a dealer,

In that case either bargain for a partial refund (if you are willing to put up with the defect) or return it for a refund.

If the problem is similar to mine (and it looks very similar) it can't be fully rectified. Careful cleaning (by an experienced repairer) might improve it a bit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It looks like a delaminating frameline mask. These are a glass sandwich in the M2 (and M4). Happened to my M4 but presented as small scratches all over the focus patch. I would return it and find a perfect example with no defects. Rangefinder repair is very expensive compared with general CLA, and only Cameraworks UK makes a replacement frameline mask for M2.

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mute-on said:

It looks like a delaminating frameline mask. These are a glass sandwich in the M2 (and M4). Happened to my M4 but presented as small scratches all over the focus patch. I would return it and find a perfect example with no defects. Rangefinder repair is very expensive compared with general CLA, and only Cameraworks UK makes a replacement frameline mask for M2.

I think I will take your advice as the dealer happily accept the return 

thanks all for the help 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Top end is limitless. Go to Goerlitz or Leicashop, you can get M2s for 2500 euros easily there lol 😀
And because you are from EU and are showing us UK and US sold prices - know that there is TAX added to those prices automatically by ebay (not import tax).

I am not in Europe I am UAE

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, malfaris said:

I am not in Europe I am UAE

I was answering to another user with my thread answer.
However, all stores sell to UAE and Leicashop online store network for used gear includes Leica Store Dubai from Dubai Mall.
I do however now understand you paid more in UAE.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1