What Metal Leica embossed lens cap for a FISON?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just bought a FISON hood at a very reasonable price from Germany (sent to France so no duty implications) for my Leica 1A, with 11 o'Clock Elmar I recently won at a Flint's auction. The camera did not come with a lens cap, as I suspect the yellow filter is stuck on. I think I can easily remove that with my miniature strap wrench, after leaving it in a warm place, applying a drip or two of watch oil on the lens/filter junction with my clock oiler pen and then putting it in a Ziplock plastic bag, with a couple of small bags of silica gel and into the freezer. You must leave it to warm up inside the bag or you will get horrible condensation on parts of the camera you would want to leave dry. 

What Leica embossed metal cap will fit the FISON hood? 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Isn't the front of the hood A36, like the diameter of the lenses it fits on, so you can use the same cap? I'm afraid I don't have one to test.

Edited by Anbaric

Posted (edited)

I may well have one in my bag of assorted Leica lens caps back in the UK, in that case. I am using a VALOO hood on my 1C standard with 11 o'clock Elmar and a FIKUS on my 1932 chrome 50/2.5 Hektor on my model 3. I think I have two metal Leica lens caps for the Hektor, a satin chrome one and a rather tatty black paint stepped front one (probably the original). My great uncle had extensively and horribly retouched his Model 3 with what Alan Starkie described as being tarry black fence paint and I think the same treatment was applied to the lens cap. I should have got Alan to strip and repaint it when he repainted the Model 3, which now looks lovely. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

JC many thanks for the benefit of your very wide knowledge of Leica accessories. Looking at the photos of the one I have bought (apparently from one Oskar Barnack) it looks to be the later straight sided model. So a 50/3.5 Elmar cap should fit. I think I may have upwards of 15 assorted Leica lens caps in a bag in my Leica accessories and filters drawer, so hopefully at least one or more will fit. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the same cap for the FISON and for the lens itself:

As the FISON has no knurled rim it won't hold as well as on the lens, though mine doesn't drop off when I carry the camera.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

JC many thanks for the benefit of your very wide knowledge of Leica accessories. Looking at the photos of the one I have bought (apparently from one Oskar Barnack) it looks to be the later straight sided model. So a 50/3.5 Elmar cap should fit. I think I may have upwards of 15 assorted Leica lens caps in a bag in my Leica accessories and filters drawer, so hopefully at least one or more will fit. 

Wilson

Thanks Wilson
Using this one, you can use the same as the one for the lens

• Thanks 1

All black versions.

25 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

All black versions.

The two types I prefer are the stepped or lipped front caps, notwithstanding that the flat version might be more correct for a 1929/30 11 o'clock Elmar but the only one of those that I recall I have, appears to have been tarred rather than painted. It would need to be stripped and repainted but with a small item like this, not a huge problem. I do have a new/unopened mini-tin of Revell Gloss Black enamel and in the UK (I am back there for 10 days from the 15th), I have a good quality airbrush. The only thing I don't have is a really good water separator for my compressor but for how little air the airbrush uses, I can fill up the 200 litre air tank on my large industrial compressor and leave it for an hour or so (it leaks down very slowly) for any water to settle in the bottom of the tank and that might be good enough. For an airbrush, I turn the air output regulator down to around 20 PSI. With the tank charged to 150 PSI and a 200 litre air tank, that will last far longer than I would need. 

On page 146 of my Hasbroeck, it shows a selection of A36 lens caps but unfortunately no decoding of which cap for which year/lens. Laney is silent on this, neither is the Leica accessory guide of any help. There is obviously room for someone to write the definitive tome on Leica Lens caps. It might be a best seller 😆

Wilson

vor 32 Minuten schrieb wlaidlaw:

There is obviously room for someone to write the definitive tome on Leica Lens caps. It might be a best seller 😆

Certainly not definitive...though one may find traces in deeper geological layers of this Forum:

• Thanks 1