Thumb rest thingy..

AndrewPiper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys..

Ive just received my used M11 and Im well pleased with it..

Question for the group please..Im interested in purchasing a thumb rest for it and looked at getting a genuine Leica item until I saw the cost..lol.  Welcome to Leica, Andrew! With respect to the brand is there an after market alternative that is of the same quality and fit of the genuine product..? I dont think I want a painted one as Ive read that it rubs off but that isnt from any personal experience to be fair. Maybe too..if youve purchased the clones, cheaper ones and they are not so good, that maybe stuff others here would be appreciative also.

Thank you for any advice. 

I do not have an M11, but I can recommend  the Thumbie as it simply sticks onto the camera with an automotive deal tape and leaves the accessory shoe alone. The Thumbie is produced by Steve Barnett in the UK, It is available through his eBay page. The black paint will wear off quickly if that is  concern.

• Like 1

The Match technical is the alternative to the Leica OEM version and the position of the thumb is ever so slightly different than the Leica OEM. For my black M11, I went with the Leica version as it’s made of alloy to save some weight, and to match the finish of my camera. The Silver Leica OEM version is brass, not sure that the MT versions are made of.

If you have access to a 3-D printer there is a free 3-D model Leica M Thumb Rest at https://www.printables.com/model/879948-leica-m-thumb-rest. I recently got a cheap ($200) printer for plastics and have found models for rear lens caps, thumb rest, etc. Cost of materials is just pennies to make one, and it looks good and works very well.

• Thanks 1

I have the Match Technical on my M10-R and the Leica on my M11-P. The MT is brass and the black paint will rub off. Between the two I like the Leica original on the M11-P better. I just got an M11-M and have put the Thumbie on it. I like the look and feel of the Leica one on the M11-P but I wanted to try the Thubie because it leaves the hot shoe empty. So far I like the feel of the Thumbie ( not as much as the Leica but I think the empty hot shoe offsets that). It fell off the first time I put it on, not sure if I just did a bad job or the it was the texture of the black finish on the M11. Second attempt seem to be holding better. I will most likely change the M11-P over to the Thumbie soon. 

2 hours ago, Jean-Michel said:

I do not have an M11, but I can recommend  the Thumbie as it simply sticks onto the camera with an automotive deal tape and leaves the accessory shoe alone. The Thumbie is produced by Steve Barnett in the UK, It is available through his eBay page. The black paint will wear off quickly if that is  concern.

+1 for the Thumbie. Have been using them since the M9. A bargain compared to the others too. The paint wears to brass. I like how it's worn.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Photo of the Thumbie on my M11. This one was on my M10 and M10R before the M11, So it's got some brassing.

Put the Visoflex on so you can see how it looks.

Gordon

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

+1 for the Thumbie, only solution i found for using the Visoflex 2 with a thumb rest, but its black paint peals so easily that I ended up removing it completely. Ugliness is in the eyes...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Many here recommend the Thumbie, I actually would suggest to skip it. My experience was not positive at all. In winter it worked great, but during summer, due to the heat, you could feel it moving, this due to the glue. Also after taking it out it left a not so pleasant residue, which was hard to clean. 

I have the leica m10 one which works with the m11, I bought it used, so perhaps you can search for it in the used market? I used before match technical and it also worked quite well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I have the brass Match Technical one on my M9 Monochrom. That camera is built and shaped like a thick brass bar of soap, and hard to hold securely without the thumb grip.

When I bought my M11, I decided I'd get a thumbgrip at some point in the future. £250! My M11 is the black version, and I often shoot it with either a 35 Summaron, or 50 Summicron. I've come to realise that it's fine without the additional thumb grip, for my use anyway. The built-in bump over the thumbwheel is sufficient.

If it were the heavier silver chrome M11, and with bigger lenses, it might be a different story.

Edited by colint544

1 hour ago, Malabito said:

Many here recommend the Thumbie, I actually would suggest to skip it. My experience was not positive at all. In winter it worked great, but during summer, due to the heat, you could feel it moving, this due to the glue. Also after taking it out it left a not so pleasant residue, which was hard to clean. 

I have the leica m10 one which works with the m11, I bought it used, so perhaps you can search for it in the used market? I used before match technical and it also worked quite well. 

Are you sure you had the original tape on your Thumbie? Mine is very secure, even in an Australian summer. Or maybe he's using a different 3M tape?

There is residue though. It takes a few minutes to clean it off properly, although I only remove when I get a new camera.

Gordon

2 hours ago, Malabito said:

I think that happens when you don't press in the tape in the first 10 min.

to remove the tape they suggest rolling it off. my thumbie has moved to 3 different cameras already, and all the paint is gone.

9 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Are you sure you had the original tape on your Thumbie? Mine is very secure, even in an Australian summer. Or maybe he's using a different 3M tape?

There is residue though. It takes a few minutes to clean it off properly, although I only remove when I get a new camera.

Gordon

Yes i was using the orinal tape that came with it. Mine was quite a mess to take from the camera, (I took it out to sell the camera).