Stone Bridge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In a park near my house.

Q3

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

2 hours ago, fotografr said:

In a park near my house.

Q3

Please forgive me for tampering with your local scene. As you title gives emphasis to the stone bridge, I felt the urge to allow the bridge to enjoy its importance in the landscape. My changes were made using Snapseed on my smartphone. So there is scope for further steps on a PC, if desired. See what you think.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, wda said:

Please forgive me for tampering with your local scene. As you title gives emphasis to the stone bridge, I felt the urge to allow the bridge to enjoy its importance in

the landscape. My changes were made using Snapseed on my smartphone. So there is scope for further steps on a PC, if desired. See what you think.

Your version does look good and I don't mind at all that you made the adjustments. The one I posted is more accurate to what the weather was like--dark and between storms, whereas yours makes it look sunny and pleasant. Cheers, Brent

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, David Cantor said:

Looks like a typical scene found in the English countryside. 

This is exactly what I thought when I saw Brent's photo 🙂

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fotografr said:

Your version does look good and I don't mind at all that you made the adjustments. The one I posted is more accurate to what the weather was like--dark and between storms, whereas yours makes it look sunny and pleasant. Cheers, Brent

Maybe something in the middle but closer to Brent's version might be worth exploring.  But I do love the scene.  English countryside nails its impact.

Edited by Aram Langhans
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Aram Langhans said:

Maybe something in the middle but closer to Brent's version might be worth exploring.  But I do love the scene.  English countryside nails its impact.

I'll try another editing session.

[A few minutes later]

How's this?

(Thanks for the nudge, David. You were right about the first image.)

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

My original intention was to give a little more emphasis to the bridge, the subject of the scene, which merges with the gloom. It is easy to get carried away, particularly when you were not there when the picture was captured. For the bridge I used a control point on the lighter tones. . Then I used the same technique to lighten the river water.

It is noteworthy that a discussion has ensued, which is laudable. We all stand to learn something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fotografr said:

I'll try another editing session.

[A few minutes later]

How's this?

(Thanks for the nudge, David. You were right about the first image.)

Well, I like it, but I was not there.  I can envision the grass and the reflection being more subdued like in your original shot, but I do see the bridge more now.  But overall I like this better than your original or wda's version which to me looked to artificial.  So, if you are willing, try a GND filter on the foreground to get it a bit more like the original, but not all the way back.  I don't think it should be much lighter than the trees across the stream.

I think it is a cool shot and I wish I were there.

Edited by Aram Langhans
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Aram Langhans said:

Well, I like it, but I was not there.  I can envision the grass and the reflection being more subdued like in your original shot, but I do see the bridge more now.  But overall I like this better than your original or wda's version which to me looked to artificial.  So, if you are willing, try a GND filter on the foreground to get it a bit more like the original, but not all the way back.  I don't think it should be much lighter than the trees across the stream.

I think it is a cool shot and I wish I were there.

Final edit: This version uses the same foreground (with a touch of sharpening) as the original with the revised bridge. I'm satisfied with it.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 5

I read all of the comments about Brent's bridge an image that i liked immediately upon viewing, but I just have to jump in with my two cents and rant a bit!  I just don't believe in altering what comes out of the camera because we don't like the weather.  If it's a grim day than that's the photo you get, that's how it looked at that time and place.  If you want a bridge that sings in the sunlight, go back on a sunny day. I know i'm in an extreme minority as photos in this forum are altered in PP almost as a rule. I feel digitally deceived when I see photos with obvious significant alterations to sky, clouds and water that never really existed. This is a fine camera, it's firmware has be adjusted to provide a specific kind of result, additionally the photographer has many options to prepare the camera to perform to his or her particular idiosyncrasies. Then so many options are available as to location of focus and exposure time, depth of field, etc. Almost infinite possibilities to produce the desired resulting image.  For me a jpeg straight out of the camera is what I would like to see more of.   

• Thanks 1