Value of the boxes

gotium

If they're the original box, they will enhance the value of the lens when you sell it. By themselves...they are only worth what somebody will pay for them...I see them often on Ebay, but digging deeper, the seem to have a long lag sales time and often end up being discounted from the (absurd) original asking price. I just keep mine stored away in the event I sell its lens. Collectors like that.

• Thanks 1

Yes. Intel firs thand and from several second hand dealers: Usually for a lens that costs, say, 2000 euros used, if there is no outer grey box (where available) the second hand price goes down by 50-100 euros and if there is no original packaging it can affect the price for up to 250 euros.
Every dealer has its own system but this is a proper rule of thumb and a guideline.

• Thanks 1

I keep all my boxes, it's somewhere to keep all the bits I don't want cluttering my drawers like instructions, lens pouches, etc. I even keep accessory boxes. Resale value may or may not be affected depending on the body or lens, but they are a fatter and tastier worm on the hook for any potential purchasers. 

• Thanks 1

I think that equipment offered for sale with its original boxes may sell slightly more easily, but I'm not so sure that it increases price. Price is fundamentally determined by other factors (condition, current market, perceived desirability, collectability, etc.) but boxes may 'sweeten the deal', so to speak. I have most boxes for my gear but don't anticipate them increasing its value should I want to dispose of anything.

• Thanks 1

It definitely increases the sales price. Depending on the object and the age it can be 50€ or more for a box. Of course that is sometimes hard to tell for used item prices. The item and state of the item are most important. But even having the original packing means these things for me:

1. It is probably not stolen. Most items are stolen without the original packing.
    If the original invoice is not included/available, a box reassures me a bit.
  2. The user is careful with his gear, and the item is probably used with care too. I rarely see a really beaten up item with a box and I rarely see a mint item with proof of provenance without a box. The importance of having a box is less important for older items, but I expect a first user to keep a box for at least 5 years.
  3. Boxes for items 40 years and older have collectable value (when sold with an original near mint or mint item). This is not of interest to me personally, but it affects the resale value.
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Yes. Intel firs thand and from several second hand dealers: Usually for a lens that costs, say, 2000 euros used, if there is no outer grey box (where available) the second hand price goes down by 50-100 euros and if there is no original packaging it can affect the price for up to 250 euros.
Every dealer has its own system but this is a proper rule of thumb and a guideline.

That's significant! Sounds like it's worth making the space to keep these things...