M11 freeze, almost sure it is battery-related

Svet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was waiting for new firmware hoping that my freeze issues will be resolved. Yesterday had another freeze 😞 but it seems that finally I found the root of this issue. 

To reproduce the freeze I do the following:

- the battery is 100% charged
- let camera go to power save mode
- do a quick full press 
- the camera freezes, and the only way to use it again is to remove and reinsert the battery; happens with and without SD card

If I first wake-up the camera with gentle half press and then take a picture with full press everything is ok. This is almost 100% reproducible with battery at 100%. However if the battery is at 60-70% everything is working well and above process is not reproducible.

Just wrote to Leica and waiting for their answer. Meanwhile, have you seen anything similar? Could you try to reproduce it? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Svet said:

I was waiting for new firmware hoping that my freeze issues will be resolved. Yesterday had another freeze 😞 but it seems that finally I found the root of this issue. 

- do a quick full press 
- the camera freezes, and the only way to use it again is to remove and reinsert the battery; happens with and without SD card

If I first wake-up the camera with gentle half press and then take a picture with full press everything is ok. This is almost 100% reproducible with battery at 100%. However if the battery is at 60-70% everything is working well and above process is not reproducible.

Just wrote to Leica and waiting for their answer. Meanwhile, have you seen anything similar? Could you try to reproduce it? 

I experienced a couple of freezes where I tried to use my finger like a motor drive, push push push as action occurred in rapid succession. Similar kinda problem. I think the new update will fix it it from the description in the release. Once the day begins I'll have to try that agina dn see what happen under the new firmware

39 minutes ago, colint544 said:

Just tried that, with firmware 2.1.1, and a 95% charge, but no freeze.

Thank you for trying. Let's hope it is just my battery and not the camera.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, kiwidad said:

I experienced a couple of freezes where I tried to use my finger like a motor drive, push push push as action occurred in rapid succession. Similar kinda problem. I think the new update will fix it it from the description in the release. Once the day begins I'll have to try that agina dn see what happen under the new firmware

Aha! Yes this is what I do and it seems to freeze my camera. I upgraded to the new FW 2.1.1 and hope it's fixed but, otherwise I have made my own fix to where my freezes are much more infrequent. 

I was told by one of the Akadamie reps the M11 doesn't like jamming the shutter like the M10/M240 did (actually said just don't do it). However in my experience, this seems to be radically different in the different resolutions (18MP, 36MP and 60MP.) Could this be the older processor in the M11?

Now, when I am in a situation where I think I need to do that I put it into another mode and typically at 36MP or even 18MP because I think the buffer of the Mastro II processor won't pull those larger files like that (this is not an issue with the SL3 and the newer Mastro III processor however, but there are other issues with it like a sliding scale of 14bit to 8bit files at the speedier shutters, not what I am looking for!)

On my M11-P I think of 60MP as my "studio mode" and frankly, don't need it very often anyway. When you think of it as the "hero" shots or where you need to crop, then it figures your mind to change it as need be. Not rely on the larger MP count.

Yes, it's unfortunate. But I would rather get A SHOT at ANY resolution than have to stop and pop the battery and miss the millisecond I had to get that one shot.

Edited by bilbrown
clarity

Am 25.5.2024 um 11:37 schrieb Svet:

- do a quick full press 

I cannot replicate that with the M11-P at 100 % battery and 2 minutes auto power off.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/25/2024 at 11:37 AM, Svet said:

[...] it seems that finally I found the root of this issue.
- do a quick full press
- the camera freezes, and the only way to use it again is to remove and reinsert the battery; happens with and without SD card [...]
[...] have you seen anything similar? Could you try to reproduce it?

I can't seem to reproduce this issue under firmware 2.1.1 on my 2022 M11 with 100% full battery and 2 minute auto power off, sorry. You may wish to try my tip 7 below if it is of any interest to you.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/357248-m11-freeze-issues-merged/?do=findComment&comment=5304935

10 minutes ago, lct said:

I can't seem to reproduce this issue under firmware 2.1.1 on my 2022 M11 with 100% full battery and 2 minute auto power off, sorry. You may wish to try my tip 7 below if it is of any interest to you.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/357248-m11-freeze-issues-merged/?do=findComment&comment=5304935

Thank you for trying to reproduce the problem. I never use User Profiles actually but will play with them ... who knows. Also this week new battery will arrive and will test with it, I really hope it is battery and not camera problem. 

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for trying to reproduce the issue. When I wrote the first post, for me it was possible to reproduce it at almost 100%. Since then received a new batter and it is not reproducible anymore. After full discharge/recharge of the original it works well too. So, mystery is not solved. Maybe something was (temporary) wrong with my original battery?

It should not be the problem but up to now I was using Apple-branded USB-C charger. This time used the M11-included adapter and cable. 

• Like 1