LFI Need to be subscribed to be awarded a Master Shot?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am asking if anyone knows if you have to be subscribed to LFI in order to even be considered for a Master Shot? I have a few photos that were selected when I had my 3 month subscription from buying a new Q3 and now after sending countless photos, not a single acknowledgment. 

So, I ask, do I have to be paying for the opportunity of being awarded a Master Shot.......I think so.

Who in the forum has submitted for selection but has no active subscription to LFI?

The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

I've had a lot of Master Shots and even a couple of Photos of The Week, but then go long periods submitting work that is just as good and I get nothing, or perhaps a sub category. They chose an image of mine for the Q3 launch issue which was totally average relative to other images I've shot on my Q2M and submitted. Nice to be in the magazine for sure, but the picture wasn't one of my better ones. 

Remember this first and foremost: the whole thing is a marketing exercise. Which means they need to feature pictures from markets important to Leica. So if you are thinking inclusion is based on you giving them 88 euros a year, or on the actual raw merit of your photographs, then you're making an incorrect assumption.

Also: we all think our photos are great. The LFI folks see A LOT of work. We are never the best critics of our own work when we're looking for external approval. 

Keep trying. And are sure you're submitting correctly, the first 20 images I thought I submitted I filed in my private inbox (instead of creating a new named folder that was viewable by people other than me) so they never even saw them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trickness said:

Remember this first and foremost: the whole thing is a marketing exercise. Which means they need to feature pictures from markets important to Leica. So if you are thinking inclusion is based on you giving them 88 euros a year, or on the actual raw merit of your photographs, then you're making an incorrect assumption.

I don't agree with you. They are not affiliated with Leica.
I believe they do "bend" for Leica, similar to the long delay getting a magazine a few months ago as the M11-P was being introduced, but I don't think that they might see a photo from a region/territory and say: "I think Leica would want us to publish this."
The Apple App Store writes about LFI-->
Since 1949, LFI – Leica Fotografie International has been established as an independent magazine for the field of Leica photography, as well as the renowned go-to publication for anyone wishing to expand their knowledge, understanding and exposure to all things Leica.
Best, and congrats on all of your work(s) being published in LFI. It was a thrill when I have been published in LFI. Very good magazine.
Mark

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tappan said:

I don't agree with you. They are not affiliated with Leica.
I believe they do "bend" for Leica, similar to the long delay getting a magazine a few months ago as the M11-P was being introduced, but I don't think that they might see a photo from a region/territory and say: "I think Leica would want us to publish this."
The Apple App Store writes about LFI-->
Since 1949, LFI – Leica Fotografie International has been established as an independent magazine for the field of Leica photography, as well as the renowned go-to publication for anyone wishing to expand their knowledge, understanding and exposure to all things Leica.
Best, and congrats on all of your work(s) being published in LFI. It was a thrill when I have been published in LFI. Very good magazine.
Mark

All you need to do is look at the magazine and see how they are ALWAYS lock step with Leica in product marketing cycles to disprove the notion that they are totally independent. They asked for permission to use my image months in advance of actually publishing that issue, because they knew when the Q3 was going to be released. 

I am not suggesting that all of the editorial content of the magazine is driven by the marketing goals of Leica. But what I am suggesting is that at least a portion of the content is affected by this, including in some cases the Master Shot category. 

In any case, if you want to try to predict or guess the process they actually use to choose as a Master Shot, you’d probably have more luck buying a lottery ticket. 

And your chances certainly don’t increase just because you subscribe to the magazine.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AussieQ said:

Who in the forum has submitted for selection but has no active subscription to LFI?

I've had several Master Shots and sub categories on LFI, and I am not subscribing.

But I started subscribing to the online magazine TCFW (The Camera From Wetzlar) a few weeks ago because I wanted to read an article there, and shortly afterwards I was asked to share some of my photos and give an interview in the magazine. So that will probably be in the next issue.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I am not so hard done by not having my shots listed as Masters, I was just curious if there was a " you gotta pay to play" idea behind it. This is why I wanted to find some members who have Masters or Sub Cats and aren't paying for a subscription but obviously have a login for submitting the photos.