Leica D-Lux 8 - the wait is over!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a break of more than five years, Leica Camera is continuing the D-Lux series. The sensor resolution (21 MP / 17 MP effective) and lens specs (24-75 KB equivalent) are identical to its predecessor, while the controls and user interface have been reduced and adapted to the other Leica model series such as the Leica Q.

The Leica D-Lux 8 will be available worldwide from July 2, 2024. The recommended retail price is €1,590.

• 21MP CMOS Sensor in 4/3" format
  • Lens: Leica DC Vario-Summilux 10.9–34 f/1.7–2.8 ASPH. (24–75 mm eq. in 35mm format)

Images Leica D-Lux 8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica announces the continuation of compact digital cameras with the upcoming launch of the Leica D-Lux 8 on 2nd July 2024

Wetzlar, 23rd May 2024. Leica Camera AG will launch the new Leica D-Lux 8 on 2nd July 2024. In 2003, the German premium manufacturer introduced the first D-Lux. Eight generations and numerous special editions later, the D-Lux has solidified its position in the top-quality segment of Leica’s digital compact cameras.

The new D-Lux 8 brings the quintessential Leica experience into a more compact and accessible form. The overall user experience and iconic design are a testament to the excellence of the legendary Leica brand, recognised globally as a leader in the field. For enhanced user comfort, the controls have been simplified and ergonomically repositioned, while the user interface, inspired by the popular Leica Q-Cameras, has become even more user-friendly. The D-Lux 8 features a 4/3” CMOS sensor offering 21 MP (effective 17 MP), the fast Leica DC Vario-Summilux 10.9–34 f/1.7–2.8 ASPH. lens (35mm camera equivalent to 24-75mm), intuitive design and seamless connectivity with the Leica FOTOS app. It is also the first D-Lux that features the versatile DNG format. The flash included with the camera further expands the versatility of the Leica D-Lux 8.

In addition to the camera, a new range of accessories will be introduced. These include a hand grip, carrying straps, wrist straps, and leather protectors available in multiple colours. Additional accessories such as an automatic lens cap, soft release buttons, and a selection of bags, including a hip bag, crossbody bag, and equipment bag, expand the camera’s portfolio.

The Leica D-Lux 8 will be available globally from 2nd July 2024 at Leica Stores, the Leica Online Store, and through authorised dealers. The recommended retail price will be €1,590.00 including VAT.

Customers can register at leica-camera.com/compact-cameras to be notified once the camera is available in store.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I really like the redesign. If I understand correctly, the whole menu system now looks like that from the Leica Q3. Also it now shoots in DNG. To me this all means that this is more than just a rebadged Panasonic. Leica really did change a lot to make it more Leica.

They also changed the compensation dial. Looks like it now functions like the one from te Q3. Maybe also a button on top?

And the maximum shutter speed seems to have changed from 1/4000 to 1/2000.

Edited by ArjanB

I used the D-Lux 3 in 2000’s before getting my M8.2. (I was still using film in an M6ttl & had a complete pro Canon set). It was a fine early digital camera. My only issue was the shutter release could be a bit slow while the camera processed the scene.

Posted (edited)

Offhand, my reaction is that this is a disappointingly outdated product. (And consequently laughably overpriced.) It’s the same product as its predecessor. Same sensor. No articulating screen. Same lens. WTF?  No thanks.

Addendum:  Reviewing the full scope of the release it seems clear that Leica is looking to make money from their new catalog of (fashion) accessories for this camera.

Edited by KenTanaka
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, sounds fine; since I happily use my M9 daily, I´m not having any problem with this camera being "outdated"...🙄

But....one big question remains:  CAN ONE LOCK THAT D:MNED FOCUS POINT SO IT REMAINS IN THE CENTRE???

Edited by elgenper
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The design is gorgeous, but the same “old” sensor of DL-7 is certainly not a good idea.

i had DL-3, 4, and 5. I used the first version of DL-7 very disappointingly as I had to return  it 3 times before giving up on the camera for good.

The previous DL cameras were rebranded from cheaper Panasonic models. I wonder which Panasonic inspired this “new” Leica DL!

BTW, I very much miss the portable/pocketable previous DLs, but DL7/8, are not “pocketable” at all! At least for my pockets! 😅

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KenTanaka said:

Offhand, my reaction is that this is a disappointingly outdated product. (And consequently laughably overpriced.) It’s the same product as its predecessor. Same sensor. No articulating screen. Same lens. WTF?  No thanks.

Addendum:  Reviewing the full scope of the release it seems clear that Leica is looking to make money from their new catalog of (fashion) accessories for this camera.

I think Leica wants to get in on the booming sales of Fuji X100vi.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KenTanaka said:

All true, but they have indeed upgraded the price.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, JohnSantaF4 said:

I think Leica wants to get in on the booming sales of Fuji X100vi

Agreed. Leica, if you're going to recycle an old model with a facelift, at least offer a higher resolution viewfinder and articulating screen to make the user experience distinctive from the rest of the old tech. I think it looks nice so I suppose it will appeal to the folks that can't find an X100VI or GRIII and want something that looks cool. I will be curious to see the feedback once people get it in their hands. 

Edited by MindsEye
typo
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, MindsEye said:

Agreed. Leica, if you're going to recycle an old model with a facelift, at least offer a higher resolution viewfinder and articulating screen to make the user experience distinctive from the rest of the old tech. I think it looks nice so I suppose it will appeal to the folks that can't find an X100VI or GRIII and want something that looks cool. I will be curious to see the feedback once people get it in their hands. 

Those who get it in their had, they think they got a “Leica” and they are happy to finally get one! lol

• Like 1

A little movie focusing on the case: 

Still Made in China, USB could/should be C.

I like the case very much but to me, it's not worth spending such a higher amount of money for the obviously old technology.

But let's wait until we know more about it.

I wonder whether this is a low cost opportunity for Leica to (re)test the lower end of the camera market. If it works maybe it will be worth them investing more heavily in a DL-9 with a more modern sensor, higher resolution EVF and LCD, somewhere down the track?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

After a break of more than five years, Leica Camera is continuing the D-Lux series. The sensor resolution (21 MP / 17 MP effective) and lens specs (24-75 KB equivalent) are identical to its predecessor....

Sensor resolution is identical...but is it the same sensor?

• Like 2