Another bag question…!

Kiwimac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, Smogg said:

I also really like the Wotancraft Pilot bag series. They have two advantages over modern Billinghams: discreetness and WEIGHT. For example, the Billingham Hadley Small Pro is very beautiful and has convenient pockets, but weighs more than 1 kg. The Billingham Hadley series uses inserts, which are also too thick, which eat up a lot of useful space. I preferred the protection of the Billingham fstop system (discontinued), which had no inserts, the protection was thinner and the bags weighed much less.

I had a Billingham Hadley Pro years ago and I do remember the padding taking up a lot of space, nice bags though, but I always thought they looked like expensive camera bags and would be a target for thieves when traveling.  With Wotancraft there's just enough padding and I also like that you can attach their accessory pouches to the outside of the bag, I have a number of these as well.  Wotancraft is just so well thought out to the point where they even have hidden pockets in their bags like in the 7L Pilot, and it's listed at under 2lbs.  I can also get my 11" iPad Pro in the 7L.  

• Like 1

The Hadley One does have some thinner padding in the actual bag structure, for anyone interested. I wouldn’t trust it in a drop from height onto a concrete floor, but it’s enough for bump protection in doorways and crowds. 

The Eventer 2 has none at all if you remove the insert. It would benefit from Half Insert like the One I think. As I said above though, the Hadley One insert won’t fit it because the press studs are the wrong way round. 

19 minutes ago, Kiwimac said:

The Hadley One does have some thinner padding in the actual bag structure, for anyone interested. I wouldn’t trust it in a drop from height onto a concrete floor, but it’s enough for bump protection in doorways and crowds. 

The Eventer 2 has none at all if you remove the insert. It would benefit from Half Insert like the One I think. As I said above though, the Hadley One insert won’t fit it because the press studs are the wrong way round. 

Eventer bags are unnecessarily heavy due to the large amount of leather. This is the case when, for the sake of appearance, comfort has significantly decreased

Posted (edited)

Why not upgrade yourself on EJ to "up front" seating which allows you the larger carryon, same size as BA. 

Small size carry on is 45x36x20 whilst the Mk II 445 is 43x25x30 so just squeeze it and it will be 20cm

Edited by Sandokan

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, AllenB said:

I had a Billingham Hadley Pro years ago and I do remember the padding taking up a lot of space, nice bags though, but I always thought they looked like expensive camera bags and would be a target for thieves when traveling.  With Wotancraft there's just enough padding and I also like that you can attach their accessory pouches to the outside of the bag, I have a number of these as well.  Wotancraft is just so well thought out to the point where they even have hidden pockets in their bags like in the 7L Pilot, and it's listed at under 2lbs.  I can also get my 11" iPad Pro in the 7L.  

I agree re Billinghams actually looking like fancy bags. I’ve had a few over the years and they’re excellently constructed and provide a lot of protection. But the argument that they don’t look like camera bags and are unlikely to be targeted by thieves is nonsense. They might not look like camera bags but they sure do look expensive, unless you have a canvas one that’s been used for 20 years or so! Fibrenyte just looks new forever

i have a Wotancraft 7l now and it’s almost perfect. My only complaint is that the material is really harsh and it’s damaged a few pieces of clothing (trousers, jacket) in the year or so I’ve been using it.

Edited by jagstang
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 8:59 PM, AllenB said:

I have a Hadley Pro small and a Hadley Pro 2020 and they’re nice bags. I don’t worry about them looking like an expensive camera bag because I usually have an expensive camera dangling from my neck so any thieves will notice me anyway. 

I also have one of the fstop bags (f2.8?) but don’t use it these days because the square shape doesn’t suit a one camera, one lens set up. 

Im still searching for a bag to use for light hiking - mostly non-camera gear like first aid kit, food and clothing layers but also space for a travel tripod and somewhere to stash the camera quickly if the rain gets too heavy. I was looking at the Wotancraft 18L but it doesn’t look like it’d do the job. My current backpack is an Osprey hiking bag (22L I think) which is a top load bag and usually less than a half full. Currently I have the mounted on a capture clip on one of the bag's shoulder straps but keep a small Lowe-Pro camera bag at the to of the bag to put the Q2 or M11 in but that means taking the backpack off, which is a faff, especially when there are people behind trying to walk past.

I think I might keep that and just use my PD 3L sling positioned on my chest so that it doesn’t get in the way of the Osprey’s waist belt and stuff the camera in that during a deluge. Waist belts don’t work because of the need to scramble over stiles etc. Has anyone used a similar combo before?

On 5/27/2024 at 10:20 PM, Kiwimac said:

I got my hands on a Billingham Eventer II as a comparison to the Hadley One. 

It’s about 20% larger and very nice. The full leather base makes it very luxurious. 

I think it’s a better travel bag for cameras and ‘stuff’ because you can zip it shut which helps when putting bags in overhead racks and bins etc. 

It’s a little slower to work out of and the shoulder strap needs to be a bit longer for me to wear it cross body at the ideal height. 

One thing I noticed. I don’t know if it’s deliberate but I wondered about using the half width Hadley One insert in the Eventer. 

Billingham have fitted the press studs reverse in each bag. The Hadley inserts have the female half fitted to them and so does the Eventer II bag, so you cannot pop them together! The half insert works fine apart from that. 

As a pure camera bag the Hadley series is probably better. As a multi purpose bag, the Eventer is. 

Always liked the Eventer. Beautiful design. If I could justify a 21st Billingham bag, the Eventer II would be it ….

Perhaps a pic?

On 5/22/2024 at 12:32 PM, Kiwimac said:

Unfortunately I can’t stand in ear headphones. I’ve never yet found a pair that are even vaguely comfortable. I’ve got a pair of Sennheiser top of the range ones. All I can hear is my own heartbeat which is distracting. They’ve had about 2 hours of use for the almost $2000 they cost. 

I wish it wasn’t so because you’re right - they’d be a lot easier to carry!

You can get a Filson laptop bag and buy a billingham insert. It fits perfect and is almost identical to the magnum special edition in size and capacity. I’ve done this. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've been a long time user and fan of the Tenba "Cooper" line. I do have two or three Billingham bags, including their dedicated Leica M bag, but for practical use in the field, the Tenba Cooper bags are tops for me. 

They are a series of basically rectangular shoulder bags ranging in size from just big enough to hold a single body with lens to large enough to carry at least a couple bodies and half a dozen lenses. 

They're like a messenger bag in having a wide front flap, but underneath that flap, on top, they also have a wide zipper closure to the main compartment. You can close the zipper for transport, or leave it open for rapid access through the flap. 

In the field I carry a Microsoft Surface Pro. It tucks neatly into a zipped back pocket on the Cooper. 

I've got five or six of these bags. The load out I'll pack depends on what I'll be doing. 

Sadly, Tenba no longer offers the Cooper line. In their current line up, I'd take a look at their DNA bags and Skyline bags, which are similar in concept and execution

Edited by DadDadDaddyo

Posted (edited)

I have far too many bags! But my latest addition is a Hadley Digital .

I like the Hadley Digital as a small bag for the M11 and a couple of lenses plus one on the Camera is possible.  It might already be my favorite.

Well rereading the original post I guess I read to many bags posts...  Apologies, totally of topic reply but I can't figure out how to delete a post

Edited by kiwidad

Self admitted bag obsessed here…far too many bags in my history, I’m always searching for the perfect one 😀; have owned nearly everything from various Oberwerths to every Billingham Hadley, gone back to my war-tested faded 40yr old beat up Domke F2 and then tried some new smaller Domkes and Wotancrafts, travelled overseas to Tokyo to buy Artisan and Artist bags and straps when they were only available there, then went the semi custom nitche route with Rofmia bags made of the super durable fabric Dyneema https://www.rofmia.com/shift-series-2 which I’m ‘pretty’ happy with …but I’m always looking for options and perfection 😄

For the type of photographing I now do, the challenge is a less about weather protection and more about having a bag that didn’t look like it was full Leicas and lenses, yet I’m not going with a “camera’ bag from a box store or do I need quick ‘tactical’ fast action access like some bags and backpacks promote. I’ve now chosen a different route that most here would not follow as these bags offer little weather protection and are not highly theft proof. These are bags made by a designer in Japan called https://dodesignbook.com and https://www.instagram.com/do_designbook/. The bags are pretty luxurious if you take a close look…yet at time they look like just a basic tote/satchel bag from a distance. Very lightweight and impeccably made, mine is black horsehide which should age nicely and durable to the end of the earth and I have another incoming made of a horsehide and waterproof cotton.  These bags are not inexpensive but the USD to Yen exchange is quite favorable so it was a good time to buy… yeah it’s a niche within a niche market for these bags as they don’t really serve the purpose most want in their bag (protection) and they are on the higher end in terms of cost. Time will tell how long these will be my go-to bags but for now they work for me.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 5:33 AM, Kiwimac said:

I’m looking at my pile of camera bags and not quite seeing what I need. 

I am flying and cruising for six weeks and I want to find a bag that will transport M11, 21 VM Nokton, 35 Apo Summicron, 75 Apo Summicron, Visoflex2, battery etc

AND 

noise cancelling over ear headphones, Kindle Scribe, medicine, hand gel, passports, tickets, guide/notebook etc etc. 

AND

be allowable as carry on for the single Easy Jet flight which is the only one on the trip with strict restrictions of 45cm x 36cm x 20 cm. 

Closest I have is a Billingham Hadley One but it’s a bit tight to fit that lot and lacks a zip. I could add end pockets for more space but by the time I ship them here they’ll be about 40% of the cost of a new bag anyway. 

I don’t really need to work out of the bag and some places I’ll go, anything that looks too fancy might draw unwanted attention. 

Filson did a bag in conjunction with Magnum a few years ago that would have probably been ideal but that isn’t available any more sadly. 

Does anyone have a suggestion? I wondered about the Billingham Eventer which is fractionally bigger than a Hadley One and has a zip but I’m not convinced it’s different enough to justify the not insignificant cost. 

I think this is what you're looking for. Peak Design stuff is tough as nails. My sling has been through everything. 

https://global.peakdesign.com/collections/all-bags/products/everyday-backpack?variant=29743300771884

I would stay away from these leather fancy billingham style bags. 

Edited by crons

It's not a bag in that sense, but it fits best here. As of today, there is a combination of half case and handle, so far there was only one or the other.

Oberwerth makes very high quality bags and photo accessories. I ordered one right away, because it closes exactly the gap in the market. Here is the link

Leica M11 TagCase® Prestige (oberwerth.com)

Leica M11 TagCase® Prestige

Billingham Hadley Small Pro is perfect for daily use carrying 3 or 4 lenses. Billingham 25 is great for hiking or overnight tour. Hadley pro 2020 is on the way hoping to carry all my lenses.

On 6/9/2024 at 4:35 AM, RMF said:

Self admitted bag obsessed here…far too many bags in my history, I’m always searching for the perfect one 😀; have owned nearly everything from various Oberwerths to every Billingham Hadley, gone back to my war-tested faded 40yr old beat up Domke F2 and then tried some new smaller Domkes and Wotancrafts, travelled overseas to Tokyo to buy Artisan and Artist bags and straps when they were only available there, then went the semi custom nitche route with Rofmia bags made of the super durable fabric Dyneema https://www.rofmia.com/shift-series-2 which I’m ‘pretty’ happy with …but I’m always looking for options and perfection 😄

For the type of photographing I now do, the challenge is a less about weather protection and more about having a bag that didn’t look like it was full Leicas and lenses, yet I’m not going with a “camera’ bag from a box store or do I need quick ‘tactical’ fast action access like some bags and backpacks promote. I’ve now chosen a different route that most here would not follow as these bags offer little weather protection and are not highly theft proof. These are bags made by a designer in Japan called https://dodesignbook.com and https://www.instagram.com/do_designbook/. The bags are pretty luxurious if you take a close look…yet at time they look like just a basic tote/satchel bag from a distance. Very lightweight and impeccably made, mine is black horsehide which should age nicely and durable to the end of the earth and I have another incoming made of a horsehide and waterproof cotton.  These bags are not inexpensive but the USD to Yen exchange is quite favorable so it was a good time to buy… yeah it’s a niche within a niche market for these bags as they don’t really serve the purpose most want in their bag (protection) and they are on the higher end in terms of cost. Time will tell how long these will be my go-to bags but for now they work for me.

I really like that. Seems to be sold out though. 

15 hours ago, lexffm said:

It's not a bag in that sense, but it fits best here. As of today, there is a combination of half case and handle, so far there was only one or the other.

Oberwerth makes very high quality bags and photo accessories. I ordered one right away, because it closes exactly the gap in the market. Here is the link

Leica M11 TagCase® Prestige (oberwerth.com)

I saw that. Nearly fell off my chair when I converted that to NZ$!!