What is your experience using vintage glass on SL2?

That would be hundred of lenses, everybody has a favourite. The rendering does not change, but a better sensor will enhance it. Let’s see what people like. 

I love this topic so here we go. My faves are the ones I still own. I use these on the sl2s and if it matters, the m10r, m8u. They work great on all of them. 

28mm MInolta f2.8, 35mm Summilux pre asph v2, Canon 35mm f2 ltm, 50mm Summilux pre asph v3, 50mm Elmar f3.5, Minolta 90mm f4

I own a load more but have not used them on the sl2s yet but I'm sure they will also work very well.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jaapv said:

That would be hundred of lenses, everybody has a favourite. The rendering does not change, but a better sensor will enhance it. Let’s see what people like. 

Yes the rendering does change depending on which sensor your're on. It's not as easy as better or worse sensor.

20 hours ago, costa43 said:

love this topic so here we go. My faves are the ones I still own. I use these on the sl2s and if it matters, the m10r, m8u. They work great on all of them. 

28mm MInolta f2.8, 35mm Summilux pre asph v2, Canon 35mm f2 ltm, 50mm Summilux pre asph v3, 50mm Elmar f3.5, Minolta 90mm f4

I own a load more but have not used them on the sl2s yet but I'm sure they will also work very well.

Great! I'm a bit curious about the Minolta M lenses actually! Maybe I should pick 1 or 2 up!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Leicaboy Norway said:

Great! I'm a bit curious about the Minolta M lenses actually! Maybe I should pick 1 or 2 up!

Here are a couple with the 90mm on the sl2s that I've already posted in the older glass thread. 

For perspective, this lens cost me around 180 euro. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I have a 50/2 Summicron-R lens from 1975 that I use on an R4S Mod. P when I want to shoot film.  I have adapted it to an SL2 on occasion and it's surprising how nice it renders.  It's more of a classic look that's still sharp but doesn't have quite as much contrast as the modern SL lenses.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leicaboy Norway said:

Anyone using Contax Zeiss lenses on the SL series?

That's an excellent combination with the SL, as you would expect. Zeiss/Contax had two different looks in their lens line. The 18, 25, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 have one look which we would call "vintage" now, but not at the time. The 21, 28, 50/1.7, 85/2.8 have what we would now call a modern look.

One word of advice: get the Novoflex adapter. It's more expensive than most other adapters, but it feels right, just like mounting the same lens on an RTS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Leicaboy Norway said:

I feel like the Voigtlander SL Norton 58mm f/1.4 SL II isn´t as great on the SL2 as it was on my Pentax K-1 and Canon R5...

But Steve Huff loved it for the first SL so I don´t know

I will echo this, I think the lens is actually better on thicker sensor stack sensors.

6 hours ago, Geoff C. Bassett said:

I will echo this, I think the lens is actually better on thicker sensor stack sensors.

Darn!

I was hoping for the opposite reaction 😂 Because this is one of the best lenses I've ever used. Well, guess I'll use it only on the K1, but focus peaking directly in the viewfinder is usually the easiest :(

On 5/21/2024 at 3:55 PM, costa43 said:

Here are a couple with the 90mm on the sl2s that I've already posted in the older glass thread. 

For perspective, this lens cost me around 180 euro. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Gorgeous images and editing!

I use the Summicron 90mm f2 v2 ( I think) and some of the images are magical in terms of rendering.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Leicaboy Norway said:

I feel like the Voigtlander SL Norton 58mm f/1.4 SL II isn´t as great on the SL2 as it was on my Pentax K-1 and Canon R5...

But Steve Huff loved it for the first SL so I don´t know

You might like the current Nokton 1.5 50 ii in that case. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jaapv said:

You might like the current Nokton 1.5 50 ii in that case. 

Interesting!

It also looks very much like my Voigtlander 35mm 1.7  Ultron, which is very sharp (even wide open), but lacks a bit image character in my opinion...

Sorry, it's the version 1 that looks like the 35 1.7

Edited by Leicaboy Norway