SL3 Left Dial Questions.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all.

I've been reading the manual for the SL3 and not to much is mentioned about the left dial on top of camera. It looks like it is used to change ISO and something about Auto focus on the fly. This is a BIG dial. So my question for those who have the SL3, how easy is it to accidentally rotate that left dial and inadvertently change the ISO? I'm thinking with the camera dangling from a strap at your side, something is bound to move that dial. Or is there a "Lock" button you have to press in order to rotate that dial.

Thanks.

that is a good question.

there is a dial lock in the menu, I can be assigned to a button. but it will lock all Dails.

The ISO dial is set to "AUTO ISO" and needs extra action to unlock, like the joystick, then you can keep changing ISO. You can change iso from the menu quick screen and it will do the same.

You can not lock the ISO dial independently, but that has not been a problem for me slipping on the shoulder for now.

It would be interesting to implement and independent lock to Dials so that you can still change exposure compensation.

Currently the new dial is useless to me. I'd never use any of the three available functions for that dial. *If* they add more customisation to the dial then I think it will be useful. I'd like something like profiles (my preference) or focus or shooting modes.. I want all of the currently available functions they allow for that dial to be accessible with my RIGHT hand. Just like I can already do on my SL2. In real world shooting, who wants to lower the camera to change ISO, aperture or EV compensation? They didn't think this one through, IMHO.

Having said that, I haven't had any issues with accidentally changing ISO (which is what I left it on as you can't set it to no function). So I don't think that'll be an issue.

Gordon

• Like 3

I am using the iso dial frequently, walking around doing Street and haven’t had any accidental bumps causing it to change. 

When you do want to change ISO the left thumb can manage and unlike the M cameras ISO dial, it works freely without having to lift the dial up to be able to change it. I have what I need on the other FN buttons including re centering the focus rectangle, stabilization, ev compensation, 2 second timer and shutter type which suits my different modes of shooting. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/14/2024 at 10:51 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Currently the new dial is useless to me. I'd never use any of the three available functions for that dial. *If* they add more customisation to the dial then I think it will be useful. I'd like something like profiles (my preference) or focus or shooting modes.. I want all of the currently available functions they allow for that dial to be accessible with my RIGHT hand. Just like I can already do on my SL2. In real world shooting, who wants to lower the camera to change ISO, aperture or EV compensation? They didn't think this one through, IMHO.

Having said that, I haven't had any issues with accidentally changing ISO (which is what I left it on as you can't set it to no function). So I don't think that'll be an issue.

Gordon

+1. Haven’t used the left dial once, yet. The two FN buttons on the front + on the top right side + joystick are fine with me. Besides being too old to change habits (according to my spouce), the left hand takes care of the lens stability, and remains on the lens for that resson.

On an M-body, the dial is likely more useful as the lenses are shorter, so the left hand is closer to the body. Leica clearly thinks differently re SL3, but I don’t get it, not yet, anyway…

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, helged said:

+1. Haven’t used the left dial once, yet. The two FN buttons on the front + on the top right side + joystick are fine with me. Besides being too old to change habits (according to my spouce), the left hand takes care of the lens stability, and remains on the lens for that resson.

On an M-body, the dial is likely more useful as the lenses are shorter, so the left hand is closer to the body. Leica clearly thinks differently re SL3, but I don’t get it, not yet, anyway…

Agreed. All I want is for the next firmware to give me the ability to customise the rear wheel click function like I can on the SL2. That's where I have ISO on the SL2 and it's absolutely perfect.

The button defaulted to the eye sensor is handy as well. I have that set to recentre the focus point which works well, except in some focus modes you can't recentre the spot or zone focus??

Gordon

• Like 1

I have found myself inadvertently rotating that left top ISO dial. It is a BIG nuisance. 

I WANT to see a new FW update that lets me turn that dial off, jay that dial, not all dials which is the current setup allowed. For me the last thing I want to do is reach over the camera when hand holding to adjust ISO with this wheel. I try to keep all change functions for right hand use. With the terrific IBIS, tripod use has become lass and les used.

• Like 1

This weekend using the SL3 on a tripod capturing predawn images and adjusting my shots as the light came, the ISO dial is a great function for landscape work. Anything shot on a tripod really, the dial is useful.  Using the LCD to work the shot one doesn't need to press a button to activate  and change the ISO. Also for Street looking down at the top screen while adjusting the ISO wheel, saves one from having to put the camera to one's eyes.   

• Like 2

I mostly use M lenses on my SL3 with the Leica M>L adaptor, and am currently working with AUTO ISO set to ISO range of 100-6400 and minimum SS of 1/125.  In settings I have assigned ISO to the Left Dial for both AF & MF lenses.  As others have previously reported, the Left Dial is 'locked' if I want to change from AUTO ISO to a fixed ISO value, instead I have to use the combination of dials/buttons to unlock it.

Today, though, I went back to using my SL lenses.  To my surprise, without making any settings changes (my 'home' profile of '1' is still displayed without a star next to it), the Left Dial is no longer locked.  Even stranger is the fact that it isn't changing ISO, but instead is changing Exposure Compensation (the arrowhead moves up and down the +/- 3 EV scale).  I re-checked my settings with the SL lenses on the camera, and the Left Dial is still assigned ISO (not Exp. Comp.) with both AF & MF lenses.

I switched between my M and SL lenses a few times, with the camera still set to AUTO ISO, and the Left Dial definitely remains locked with M lenses attached, but functions as another Exposure Compensation dial with SL lenses attached. 

I also experimented with my Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 with the Leica M>L adaptor, and the Left Dial behaves the same as with Leica M lenses (it remains locked), which makes me wonder if the issue is with the Leica M>L adaptor ... either mine being faulty, or it's a firmware issue that needs fixing, just like the loss of magnification option on the SL2-S Joystick with the Leica M>L adaptor, but not with the Novoflex adaptor (so I've read).

Has anyone else experienced this difference in Left Dial operation with M (with Leica M>L adaptor) and SL lenses attached?

I'm trying to send the query to Leica, but for some reason my email keeps being rejected as spam.

Edited by Carrot