shuttertest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear, I am writing a book about light and have a specific question that the people of your organization who are involved with the history of the brand might know an answer to, 

Leica would have been done in the past (late 1980s early 1990s) in some clubs and association shutter speed test, 

it was proven that everyone could take a sharp photo in 1/30th of a second and for some even with a lower shutter speed it was a myth.

I have heard from various sources that this test has indeed taken place.

Now I'm looking for written proof that I can use in my book.

You would oblige me greatly if you would submit this question to the people concerned and I dare to hope for a speedy answer. 

Thank you in advance and best regards.

eddy willems

Posted (edited)

No info about this test. But if you want we can arrange some historical info, old magazines and books, and a hands on experience with pre-war Leica's, from 1930 to today.

I am in Alken on a regular basis because my mother still lives there, close to your hometown.

Regarding the minimum speed. Minimum shutter speed is in function of the format  and resolution of the negative/sensor. So the test would be only valid for FF and resolution of film. It would not be easy to translate that to digital. IMO most of all, it depends on the photographer's skill.

Edited by dpitt

With the advent of modern DSLRs stuffed with pixels (giving a sharpness comparable or superior to film medium format), what counts as a sharp picture changed a lot since the film days. I can use my Hasseblad 500c handeld at 1/100 have acceptable pictures. I have trouble getting something done with my nikon D800 at under 1/100...  but I pixel peep the Nikon while I traditionally enlarge the 6x6 film.

On 5/13/2024 at 8:14 PM, altphoto said:

Dear, I am writing a book about light and have a specific question that the people of your organization who are involved with the history of the brand might know an answer to, 

Leica would have been done in the past (late 1980s early 1990s) in some clubs and association shutter speed test, 

it was proven that everyone could take a sharp photo in 1/30th of a second and for some even with a lower shutter speed it was a myth.

I have heard from various sources that this test has indeed taken place.

Now I'm looking for written proof that I can use in my book.

You would oblige me greatly if you would submit this question to the people concerned and I dare to hope for a speedy answer. 

Thank you in advance and best regards.

eddy willems

Thanks Eddy

You approached me last week through an intermediary and I sent you something, which did not really address what you need, which is sight of a write-up on a test/survey done by Leica about 30 years ago on the minimum handhold-able speeds with various camera types. I have done a few look-ups on the LSI Viewfinder Archive website and did not find anything specific, but something might be there. I am travelling for the remainder of this week. If you have not found anything by early next week, I will ask Jim Lager who will surely recall anything that might have happened on a formal basis involving the Leica Company.

We have been told for many years that the reciprocal speed v the focal length, say 1/60th with a 50mm lens, is the one to use. With a rangefinder you may get up to a stop more depending on how steady your grip is. Personally I would not be ‘safe’ at 1/30th with a 50mm lens, but some people might be. The megapixel craze has made things worse and I have found in some cases that twice the reciprocal is needed ‘to be safe’. There is an element here of variation between one photographer and another, but one must assume that any professional test would build in something to take account of the human variations.

William 

This topic rings a bell. I looked-up "shutter speed" in my copy of the New Leica Manual (12th Edition, 1953). It's in the article on photo-journalism, contributed by Arthur Rothstein, on p.226:

"As used by the photo-journalist, the Leica is mainly a hand-held camera, and in this respect it is worth practicing with the shutter speeds of 1/5 or 1/10 second to see whether the camera can be held firmly. It will help to press the camera against a firm support like a tree or post, or to tighten the neck strap around the wrist."

That section is illustrated by a series of photographs taken by Mr. Rothstein with a 200mm Telyt at 1/4 second. The facing page has a photograph by Stanley Kubrick, taken with a Summar 50mm at 1/8. Obviously, those two photographers aren't "everyone"!