Hole in R5 Shutter

Kex

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey, I bought a completely fine R5 a few days ago and shoot a couple rolls. 

The first 2 Rolls were perfect but the other ones showed stripes. 

so I checked my camera and I found a little hole in the shutter. It definitely wasn’t there when i bought the Camera. 

But I thought Sun couldn’t burn a Metal shutter ?! 

so what do you think caused this problem and is there a chance to fix it ? :( 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome to the forum, Sorry for the reason.  
Titanium burns easily, especially when thin…You need to take similar precautions as with a cloth shutter.

You are in a bit of a pickle now as there are no spare parts for R series cameras so a replacement is impossible. Maybe someone can fill the hole without impacting the smooth running of the blades. 

How does an SLR shutter that has a reflex mirror in front of it get sunburned?

https://learn.zoner.com/comparing-digital-single-lens-reflex-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras-which-one-is-right-for-you/

Was the mirror lockup left open for some reason?

I shot film SLRs for 35 years and never worried about the shutter getting burned.

To me, the hole is a indentation/crater, suggesting the shutter was punctured - and short of a very-high-power laser impulse, I can't see light alone doing that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't have an R Leica but as I understand it the 'hole' is supposed to have a sort of rivet/grommet in it but I can't quite see from the photo if it's there or not. Can you see daylight through the hole if you take the lens off and lock the mirror up? If the rivet is there you are OK in that regard and you should look for failed foam light seals for the streaking problem, and that's an easy DIY job.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

Am 10.5.2024 um 23:25 schrieb Kex:

The first 2 Rolls were perfect but the other ones showed stripes. 

so I checked my camera and I found a little hole in the shutter.

The R5 shutter moves vertically, not horizontally. The stripes you mentioned, do they run in vertical or horizontal direction? And does their position coincide with the position of the "hole" in the shutter? If the stripes run horizontal and if their position does not coincide with the "hole", then the "hole" is not the culprit. As others have said, this does not look like a hole to me anyway, but more like one of the fastening points between the shutter arms and shutter leafs.

Posted (edited)

i would as well assume, that the "hole" is actually a tiny rivet. You can see that on any similar shutters in charged position (Seiko MFC). 

I would assume, that the film window light seal needs to be replaced. A common issue with these cameras after 40 years....guess, you still get these seals from Leica. Got mine some years ago even for free...

Regards,

Torsten

Edited by wagner

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can get a pre-cut light seal kit on eBay or buy a sheet of the foam material and cut your own. The most difficult part is removing the old gunk.

Edited by 250swb

@Kex In an earlier post I said I didn't have an R Leica, but long story short I do now, and it's an R-E based on the R5. Outwardly it is like new but the first thing I noticed when inspecting it was that the light seals have the consistency of hot tar so if they haven't been replaced yet on your R5 I'm even more convinced the streaks are a light leak from the seals. It would make sense if it's been unused for years it may work ok the first time but then by changing films you squidge the seals down and light comes in.