TL lens effective focal length on the SL3 body

yst

Posted (edited)

That depends on the crop factor of the TL, which is googleable very quick. The question is more whether the TL lens’s image circle is broad enough for full format. 

Edited by otto.f

Shooting on my SL1, the SL switches to APS-C automatically when a TL lens is mounted. My Summilux 35 TL gives excellent results and is my only AF 50mm eq lens for the SL. With the 24 MP , APSC is 24 / 1,5/1,15 = 14 MP only,  with the SL3 you should have to 35 MP.

vor 14 Stunden schrieb yst:

What would be the effective focal length of a Leica 55-135 mm 1:3.5-4.5 TL lens on a Leica SL3 body?

55-135 mm.

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, 01af said:

55-135 mm.

You can not use the TL lens in FF mode on the SL3, shooting mode is locked to APS-C only, so it will be 80 - 210 eq. , at least it is on my SL(601). Can you confirm that the SL3 allows  FF mode with a TL lens?

Edited by dpitt

vor 26 Minuten schrieb dpitt:

Shooting on my SL1, the SL switches to APS-C automatically when a TL lens is mounted. My Summilux 35 TL gives excellent results and is my only AF 50mm eq lens for the SL. With the 24 MP , APSC is 24 / 1,5/1,15 = 14 MP only,  with the SL3 you should have to 35 MP.

You have to apply the 1.5 crop factor to both dimensions of the FF sensor. TL lenses result in 10.7 MP images on the SL and in 26.8 MP images on the SL3. 

• Like 2

Focal length, and aperture, are properties of the lens, not the camera.  The OP might have been better served by asking about equivalent field of view, not focal length. But this word choice (and belief) has become the norm in many if not most discussions.

Jeff

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chaemono said:

You have to apply the 1.5 crop factor to both dimensions of the FF sensor. TL lenses result in 10.7 MP images on the SL and in 26.8 MP images on the SL3. 

Thanks. You are right ofcourse...

Edited by dpitt

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jaapv said:

And is on the CL/TL

Good to know.   Therefore it is the same effective focal length as CL/TL/SL3.    

How about the DOF?  Will the same TL lens image have shallower depth of field when used on a SL3, than used on a CL body?   

Edited by yst

4 hours ago, yst said:

Good to know.   Therefore it is the same effective focal length as CL/TL/SL3.    

How about the DOF?  Will the same TL lens image have shallower depth of field when used on a SL3, than used on a CL body?   

Simple answer - No.

• Like 2