Card storage- having a senior moment.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all.

I'm trying to figure out the math for how many DNG files from SL-3 will fit on various size CFe cards. I know that those files are ~70MB each. So if I did my math correctly this means I could get:

~1830 DNG on a 128GB card

~3660 DNG on a 256GB card. Am I close?

If this seems remotely close, cool. Obviously video takes up a lot more space, but that's another day. I'm thinking for a ten 2 week travel 256 or even a couple of 128 cards would be good.

So next question: Lexar or Sandisk? I'll eventually be shooting 4K video on occasion, so am I looking at write speed of 1200MB'sThanks. Just trying to put together shopping list. Jonathan

Most of my images are between 80-90MB DNG each and 20-25MG for JPG Large

256GB cards is 238 GB after formatting and it said, it says 1K images left ON THE CAMERA, which could be 1999 too.

The folder of 1000 images is about 90GB on the card effectively.

I am using the CF 1TB Angelbird AV PRO SE, which you can find in many places for $199, and the counter says 6K images left.

Thanks. Looks like there may (or may not) be an issue with Sandisk cards. I’m thinking about two 256GB CFe cards for travel. Halfway through trip switch to the second card so in case something happens i’ll at least have half my pictures. I’m also considering just using the one CFe card and no SD “backup” to keep things simple. Maybe dumb and over thinking…..

Posted (edited)

"Divide and conquer" 
If you do not bring something like a laptop to backup your shoot of the day, I would not trust so many files on 1 card. Maybe it is even more economical to buy 128 GB cards... 

One cool way to assure a backup is to use the second slot in your camera. The obvious solution is of course to have the camera write DNGs to both cards. But even one 64GB SD card could provide a backup by setting the camera to DNG+JPG and write the JPGs to the SD while the DNGs end up on the Cfe. And because the JPG files are so small it does not slow down the camera. One 64 GB can hold ~ 6000 jpgs of 10MB.

I have my SL set up this way all the time (1 fast and large SD for slot 1 and a small one in slot 2 for the JPGs)

Edited by dpitt

Funny how with digital photographs we worry about making copies on any number of different computers and memory drives, while with film there are no multiple copies of negatives, we just carefully file them away and can reteive them any time in the future, years in the future. No worries about them being unreadable or requiring upgrades of software.

Film is real, digital is still something ultimately unreliable.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

Funny how with digital photographs we worry about making copies on any number of different computers and memory drives, while with film there are no multiple copies of negatives, we just carefully file them away and can reteive them any time in the future, years in the future. No worries about them being unreadable or requiring upgrades of software.

Film is real, digital is still something ultimately unreliable.

Funny you mention it, I just got an email from my lab in NYC. Longe lives digital!

Thank you for dropping off your film with us. Unfortunately, our black and white processor had a malfunction while processing your roll resulting in damage to some frames. We have gone ahead and have issued a full refund for any rolls affected and scanned what we were able to recover as a courtesy. We would also like to offer a cash reimbursement for one roll of film the next time you come in.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

THAT is why I process my own film so that I only have myself to blame. Did it 60 years ago and doing it now which seems much easier than 60 years ago. Better data sharing regarding dev times, agitations, etc and many more developers available today.

Excuse me as I must agitate this roll again-doing semi stand developing tonight.

60 years ago TV was minimal and I seldom watched it. Today TV is so bad I seldom watch it giving me more time for my hobby.