M11P firmware update.

S58

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did a search but found nothing re the ETA of a firmware update.  Having recently heard there is an expectation of an imminent release I’m guessing I must have missed something as surely this would be the best source for all things Leica… Right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S58 said:

I did a search but found nothing re the ETA of a firmware update.  Having recently heard there is an expectation of an imminent release I’m guessing I must have missed something as surely this would be the best source for all things Leica… Right?

We are all patiently waiting for the next firmware update after the last FW 2.0.2 released in November last year... which within its release notes quoted "This error
will be remedied shortly."
  But it's been 6 months. 

But even if the update were released today, tomorrow, or whenever the M12 becomes the next m-camera public beta test program... I would hesitate to update until the consensus is that it actually fixes something, unlike the last firmware update that made things worse for many.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, hmzimelka said:

We are all patiently waiting for the next firmware update after the last FW 2.0.2 released in November last year... which within its release notes quoted "This error
will be remedied shortly."
  But it's been 6 months. 

But even if the update were released today, tomorrow, or whenever the M12 becomes the next m-camera public beta test program... I would hesitate to update until the consensus is that it actually fixes something, unlike the last firmware update that made things worse for many.

Yes always the wisest course of action… or in this case non-action. And to be honest, I don’t have any pressing issues with the M11P.  I do have an extremely occasional freeze, and the profile I prefer and use exclusively is not always shown as selected when I turn the camera on, requiring me to select it in the menu.

Neither are a big deal though.

46 minutes ago, S58 said:

Yes always the wisest course of action… or in this case non-action. And to be honest, I don’t have any pressing issues with the M11P.  I do have an extremely occasional freeze, and the profile I prefer and use exclusively is not always shown as selected when I turn the camera on, requiring me to select it in the menu.

Neither are a big deal though.

As soon as you make one configuration change your preferred profile sign will be replaced with the default sign.

• Like 1

I know I'm not alone on this forum in owning a Ricoh GR3 in addition to my Leica gear. I got my GR3 more than four years ago. There have been regular firmware upgrades for that camera - even one just recently - and I've unhesitatingly applied each to my camera. There's never a problem, and useful, thoughtful, features have been added over the years. I've used it a lot, and it just goes and goes.

The GR3 is a tiny camera, and it has a lot packed into it, including autofocus and IBIS. I accept that the M11 is also a complex camera, but much of that complexity is in the rangefinder and shutter mechanisms. These two things are generally not the source of M11 woes. It's the software.

I consider myself lucky, in that my M11 is still running firmware 1.6.1, and it gives me no trouble. But it seems that too many people are having real problems, and I wonder when, if ever, Leica are going to remedy the situation. If a £600 (at the time) GR3, with all its complexity and miniaturisation can operate flawlessly, why can't so many £8K Leica M11s?

It looks like it's not just one or two bad apples, something is wrong with the entire orchard.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, colint544 said:

It looks like it's not just one or two bad apples, something is wrong with the entire orchard.

What an appropriately great simile, not only with Leica's ever on-going CS / QC / Service / Firmware miss-development woes I've a ton of other uses for it, thanks Colin!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smudgerer said:

What an appropriately great simile, not only with Leica's ever on-going CS / QC / Service / Firmware miss-development woes I've a ton of other uses for it, thanks Colin!

You're most welcome!

• Like 1

My apple M11 works fine so far and so does my orange GXR but comparing similar fruits the M11 has got 7 firmware updates IINW vs 11 for the M240 so all hope is not lost 😉

1 hour ago, lct said:

My apple M11 works fine so far and so does my orange GXR but comparing similar fruits the M11 has got 7 firmware updates IINW vs 11 for the M240 so all hope is not lost 😉

What is an Apple M11

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Herr Barnack,  There is a word for those who suffer from the mental condition that causes one to have difficulty distinguishing between fantasy and reality...its called psychosis....LOL.  All kidding aside, the idea the firmware fix is in is like the long promised SL2 magnification function will be soon returned to the joystick.  Still waiting for that "update" too.  I know you have a good sense of humor...hence my comment.  r/ Mark

PS  I got treatment and cure for my M11 psychosis as soon I got the dealer to swap all three variants back to the M10-M and R with change left over to pay my pyschiatrist.

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m hoping that a new firmware will correct the magenta hue bias on the dngs and the occasional freezing on my P. I also have an issue with lens correction not being applied on jpgs with my 35 Summilux which is very strange. Would be great also if Leica looks support extends beyond the SL3 to the M11 (and others). (More of a nice to have to be fair).

Not sure if a firmware issue (or godox) but still looking for a TTL solution? I haven’t bought the godox xproII for Leica but read in other threads it works great with the m10 but not the m11. Any clarification on this very much appreciated!

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see if the next firmware update has bugfixes or disables some features the same way as Leica did with auto lens detection for uncoded lenses. Would confirm my feeling that most if not all M11 issues come from user errors or behaviors but i may be wrong and i'm not in a hurry to change the excellent (to me) firmware 2.0.2 anyway.

Does anyone else have the WB DNG issue on their 11 or 11P causing strong a Magenta temp bias? Presumed this is firmware related but if it could be a user issue, please point me in the direction of the cause so i can correct. Always seems to exist no matter what i do with my WB. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Does anyone else have the WB DNG issue on their 11 or 11P causing strong a Magenta temp bias? Presumed this is firmware related but if it could be a user issue, please point me in the direction of the cause so i can correct. Always seems to exist no matter what i do with my WB. 

Yes, I see this ‘slight’ magenta cast as well especially in blue skies.

• Like 1

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Big Dave:

Yes, I feel the same. I worked on this a lot and found a solution which I described on an earlier occasion (sorry for advertising my own post :-)):

I believe that - for whatever reason - it was a concious decision by Leica to design the color apperance of the M11 images to a more purplish tone. I don't like it, so I correct meanwhile every M11 image on import with a receipe/profile described above.

• Like 3