DIY 3D printable 6bit coding template of higher precision

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently designed this model with more accurate 6bit sockets position comparing to other available 3D models. It worked with 100% accuracy at least on 7 different Voigtlander lenses I coded so far. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on 6bit coding template improvements, thanks.

3D model is free for personal non-commercial use

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

Thanks for this - very nice job! The very thin template around the coding wells will help let the pen point fill the whole area. I printed it twice this morning, using your suggested settings for slicing, and had a few notes:

Be sure to let it cool well before removing from the plate, as with the large surface and thin section it can distort if you aren't careful removing it. That happened on my first try.

Be very careful trimming the ID cleanly to size - a slight edge burr will keep it from fitting the flange tightly, and the marks may not be precisely in position. I noticed this on my first try, that it didn't line up exactly on all my factory-coded Leica lenses. Better trimming helped, but it was distorted removing the part while warm.

The 2nd printing try aligns perfectly, and should would with all codes.

• Like 1

Thank you for very useful feedback! I went through the similar route of tries and errors when tuning print settings. Main problem is the first print level expanding and reducing inner diameter, second problem is accurate printing of sockets and reasonable print speed and print line width.

Fortunately, camera sensor array is narrow, so only central square area should be precise, I made the separations between sockets angular like on Leica mount lenses.

Based on feedback from multiple people I'm going to write extended article on print and use hints.

One way for checking print precision if you don't have 6bit coded Leica lens, but have Leica 14397 body cap. It should be snap fit, then take centered picture of 6bit template mounted on Leica body cap. The straight line above letters should merge with 6bit template edge (see below), if line is tilted up/down by 1-2mm - it is indicating print precision issue. Of course this method is not perfect, but at least guiding a bit.

Leica M10P 6bit sensor close-up. Wider bar pairs are actual sensors, you can see that distance between each sensor is about 1mm.

So it's important that intersecting square area is all opaque black on lens to trigger "1" bit. The rounded bar edges are purely cosmetic.

Second hint of more precise using of this 6bit template on lens while coding - the petals of tool are not cosmetic, they serve for precise template positioning and need to be grabbed with fingers like pictured below. Use left thumb to secure lock pin position, then gently press with index finger on wider petal in CW radial direction to make sure 6bit template inner edge connects to lens mount cylinder.

I'm coding with liquid paint drops, so resulting black bar shape is not very accurate. You may get more precisely painted bars if use sharp pointed markers recommended for such job. Though it's fine if paint is expanding a bit, but not reaching area of "0" bit socket.

When mounted "011101" coded lens on camera with "LENS DETECTION" > "Auto" :

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've noticed that sometimes a lens coded with another coder template will work on M10, but not M9, The M9 6-bit sensors aooear to be mounted in a straight line - not curved;

so the issue may be the marks may not be tall enough to be read by both sensor types. Should not be a problem with your new template.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

I've noticed that sometimes a lens coded with another coder template will work on M10, but not M9, The M9 6-bit sensors aooear to be mounted in a straight line - not curved;

so the issue may be the marks may not be tall enough to be read by both sensor types. Should not be a problem with your new template.

Thank you very much for this important note! I'll check if current template 6bit socket edges are close enough to cover the M9 sensor.

Looks like the way I'm currently coding Voigtlander lenses with only square bars works for M10 but may fail for M9. Most Voigtlander lenses have radial mount groove, where bar of paint layer remains undisturbed by mount friction. It seems that for M9 there is a need of mount grinding of central four bits or mount ring replacement.

Good to learn that.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2024 at 10:29 AM, mr_parker said:

That's fabulous work @yukosteel.

Would you consider making these available to purchase for those of us that don't have access to a 3D printer?

Best, Chris.

Thank you for asking Chris, and for your feedback. That is a very good question, which I personally can't solve due to lack of time and resources.

Fortunately there is another person also willing to make 6bit coding more accessible for Leica M mount lens owners. I'm not affiliated in any way, but had a great conversations with author from of AkaraLabs. Their effort is completely independent from mine, and was there before I even decided to jump into 3D modelling area.

Comparing to the free 3D model I'm sharing, it may sound a bit odd to pay $24 plus shipment for AkaraLabs 6bit coder. Though from the other side - running a service where you could simply order one online with few clicks is involving extra costs over just pure value of 3D printing. You may save on ordering 3D print of my free model from local 3D print services, though they will not be able to test the precision after printing on 6bit coded Leica lens, so it may take some iterations and extra costs. I'm glad to see AkaraLabs effort, and would gladly recommend to consider as an option if you don't have local/remote 3D printing:

https://akaralabs.com/products/leica-m-mount-lens-6-bit-encoder

Edited by yukosteel

Speaking of hard to check precision of ordered 3D model (unless you have another coded lens), I'm on the way of solving that.

One of potential solution is to 3D print self-centering template as a whole ring. It should eliminate radial play and offset of 6bit sockets which can be observed on C-shaped 6bit templates. Full radial design though is requiring more material (which is still inexpensive). I've prototyped few so far, but need to find time and polish design and add better "in place" 3D printable lock mechanism.

3D model of V5C4 prototype   is also available for personal non-commercial use

• Like 3

Very good modified design! I printed a "3D model of V5C4 prototype" and it printed very well, just slowing the print speed. After bending the lock tab so it would engage automatically it is very precisely aligned with my 4 factory coded Leica lenses. It should better assure coding is done correctly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

Very good modified design! I printed a "3D model of V5C4 prototype" and it printed very well, just slowing the print speed. After bending the lock tab so it would engage automatically it is very precisely aligned with my 4 factory coded Leica lenses. It should better assure coding is done correctly.

Wow, thank you for help! That's great to know printing went easy and fits four Leica lenses coding. With this 3D models it's always a challenge to not just prototype the shape geometry, but also keeping in mind FDM print precision and next layers overhang limits. I'll keep posting here when making improved versions.

On 6/18/2024 at 2:51 AM, yukosteel said:

Thank you for asking Chris, and for your feedback. That is a very good question, which I personally can't solve due to lack of time and resources.

Fortunately there is another person also willing to make 6bit coding more accessible for Leica M mount lens owners. I'm not affiliated in any way, but had a great conversations with author from of AkaraLabs. Their effort is completely independent from mine, and was there before I even decided to jump into 3D modelling area.

Comparing to the free 3D model I'm sharing, it may sound a bit odd to pay $24 plus shipment for AkaraLabs 6bit coder. Though from the other side - running a service where you could simply order one online with few clicks is involving extra costs over just pure value of 3D printing. You may save on ordering 3D print of my free model from local 3D print services, though they will not be able to test the precision after printing on 6bit coded Leica lens, so it may take some iterations and extra costs. I'm glad to see AkaraLabs effort, and would gladly recommend to consider as an option if you don't have local/remote 3D printing:

https://akaralabs.com/products/leica-m-mount-lens-6-bit-encoder

Ahhh @yukosteel thank you so much for sharing that link! I've been searching for some solution to this issue for a while, but hadn't come across that.

Much obliged :)

• Like 1