Woody Spedden, Gone from Leica

Shootist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know some, like Mr Cocker, can't stand anybody criticising their baby. If you don't like it please move on to another thread, but don't belittle mine or other's frustrations. Believe me, I wish it wasn't this way for me! I wish it had just worked out of the box like a $5k camera is supposed to (my M7 has unfailingly over the past 3 years). Anyway, it's supposed to be back from Solms next week (after two months) - I'll see then.

It's not my baby - its a camera ( like my MP, my M2, my III, my Rolleiflex, my Mamiya 7II, my Minolta Autocord, my Nikon D2x etc). Mine happens to be very good and reliable.I know many others can say the same. As I have said in another thread, strange as it may seem, most of those experiencing problems live in the USA. There could be a variety of reasons for that - I have my own theory.

If I see a comment or thread that I disagree with, that I think is stupid, that doesn't make sense I will comment - that's what a forum is about.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I see a comment or thread that I disagree with, that I think is stupid, that doesn't make sense I will comment - that's what a forum is about.

Don't you think it would be better to just skip over those threads?

I started this thread in the hopes to find out just what happened that would turn Woody away from the M8 and Leica in general.

God knows we've all had our problems with the M8 and lenses and service on both of those things, including me. But that hasn't made me sell my M8's and turn away from Leica as a whole.

I am waiting myself for a personal experience.

At about the same time I sent two lenses and a body to Leica and a D200 to Nikon service.

The Leica shipment included a 90mm pre-asph for coding, a 35mm Lux asph with a near-end focusing problem, and a body that I hoped that could be adjusted to focus both near and far with both lenses.

After one week, I received from Leica an estimate of 3-5 weeks on the 35mm, a 4-6 week estimate for the 90mm with a statement that it needed to go to Solms, and as for the body a 4-6 week estimate and a ~$95.00 estimate on "evidence of mishandling" for replacement of the focusing arm (I really don't think I mis-handled it other than minor 2mm wrench tweaking. I said ok, go for it by post the same day.

As for the D200, it needed recovering since the rubberized covering on the front whel had become unstuck. It was returned repaired in less than a week, repaired for no charge.

It is now three weeks and I am waiting patiently on Leica.

I am hoping for perfection, but if this turns out to be a real battle, I can see me taking a Woody type exit as well. My time and patience are more valuable to me than my money.

-bob

I want to stay with Leica but I hate what is going on here. My M8s are working (not perfectly but i can live with it). As a new adopter of the products of this historic camera company have I made the right decision, or will I always have to have a Canon or Nikon just in case?

Jeff

My thoughts and concerns exactly. Unlike some of the heavy weights here, I’m not in a position to justify a second body so as to have one in rotation while the other is in a slow relay race between Leica repair and me. Sure, computers go belly-up and if we don’t have an instant back up, we can all get pretty lonely but it’s a heck of a lot easier to buy an iMac than another M8. The real difference being the incident rate of failure appears to be considerably high and disproportional to the value of the product.

Regards,:(

My thoughts and concerns exactly. Unlike some of the heavy weights here, I’m not in a position to justify a second body so as to have one in rotation while the other is in a slow relay race between Leica repair and me. Sure, computers go belly-up and if we don’t have an instant back up, we can all get pretty lonely but it’s a heck of a lot easier to buy an iMac than another M8. The real difference being the incident rate of failure appears to be considerably higher than I could have imagined. Being new and all, it seems that it’s almost a guarantee that a high percentage of units will require some kind of repair or adjustment.

You might consider a nice used R-D1 for a backup. That's my plan. I had the R-D1 before the M8 and now keep it for both a back up and for when I need something a little quieter.

You can still keep shooting, keep your focusing skill up and use the Leica glass with the benifits of digital post processing.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While I can understand Woody deciding enough is enough due to what appears to be service issues, I think it is a sweeping statement to say "we have all had our problems with the M8 and lenses". I think that the vast majority of users in the UK have not had any problems.My be that is indicative of the dealers over here.I have always found Leica uk more that just helpfull .I appreshiate that their will be people who are not happy with the product/the dealer/ and or the importer.any two out of three and frankly I would take the same stand as Woody.

Just my opinion

Brian

Being new and all, it seems that it’s almost a guarantee that a high percentage of units will require some kind of repair or adjustment.

All M style cameras will need periodic service to maintain it's quality of image/focusing ability and propeer function of the camera. This has been true since the M3 and even the III series. The Rangefinder is a mechanical part of the camera and can go out of whack from wear and mishandling of the camera. But the same is partially true for SLR type cameras, as has to do with mirror allignmnet and focusing screen placement.

Lenses also wear over time and use and will need the periodic adjustment and cleaning, true for both M series and SLR lenses (although since the SLR type lenses don't have a direct contact with any focusing system they would mostly need just cleaning and internal adjustment).

...Rangefinder is a mechanical part of the camera and can go out of whack from wear and mishandling of the camera. But the same is partially true for SLR type cameras, as has to do with mirror allignmnet and focusing screen placement.

Thanks, and I agree that rangefinders need adjustments, etc. I have since appended my post to be more in line with my concern and assessment.

Regards,:rolleyes:

You might consider a nice used R-D1 for a backup. That's my plan. I had the R-D1 before the M8 and now keep it for both a back up and for when I need something a little quieter.

You can still keep shooting, keep your focusing skill up and use the Leica glass with the benifits of digital post processing.

That's a very good suggestion.

Cheers,

Sean

OH MY GOD! Someone has left the CLUB! I'm going to chuck my M8 in the trash bin right now!

I'm sure the folks at Nikon did the same thing when I left THEIR club.

As a retired disabled soldier I hang out on user forums to pass the time and to learn from other members. Unlike some forums, this one is different. Leica owners’ are unique as they’re not just individuals, but rather like’ fraternity members. So when someone becomes a casualty, it affects the forum community as a whole. Ok, this may be a bit sentimental although I suppose it’s not a bad thing.

Regards,:o

OH MY GOD! Someone has left the CLUB! I'm going to chuck my M8 in the trash bin right now!

I'm sure the folks at Nikon did the same thing when I left THEIR club.

Why is it that some threads get blown way out of proportion.

This thread is not about someone leaving the CLUB. What club is that, any CLUB that wants someone like me as a member I don't want to join (someone else said that first, I think Woody Allen, W.C. Fields or Groucho Marx).

For me what is unacceptable is to need 3 bodies. A pro may need one body plus a backup... but if the main body fails it takes FAR TOO LONG to repair. When I read things like 5-8 weeks !!!

So you need a main body + a backup body + a backup of the backup body !!!

If they cannot fix a body and send it back in less than 10 working days, then they should lend a camera in the meanwhile.

Eric

It's not my baby - its a camera ( like my MP, my M2, my III, my Rolleiflex, my Mamiya 7II, my Minolta Autocord, my Nikon D2x etc). Mine happens to be very good and reliable.I know many others can say the same. As I have said in another thread, strange as it may seem, most of those experiencing problems live in the USA. There could be a variety of reasons for that - I have my own theory.

I know you think were all anal retentive whiners over here and are psychologically willing problems on our M8s. I saw your posts before on this.

But couldn't it also be that there's a lot more users in the US and therefore a more proportionate amount of difficulties?

Anyway, I think I'm probably going to start giving this forum a rest, M8 or no M8.

Chill out, folks ... Canon and Nikon have been dumped probably 100, 1000 or 10000 times more than Leica has been dumped.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly understand the fury and frustration of Woody but I believe he'll come back, perhaps when Leica introduce the M9 or R10.

You all should go out and have a nice lunch with family or your buddies ... I know I'm doing so, right now. Have fun. :)

But couldn't it also be that there's a lot more users in the US and therefore a more proportionate amount of difficulties?

Possibly, but I'd guess that the European market is at least as large as the US, though I don't have the figures to hand, so it's just a guess based on Europe's much higher population.

As I have said in another thread, strange as it may seem, most of those experiencing problems live in the USA. There could be a variety of reasons for that - I have my own theory.

even if i'm not living in the usa, i would really be interested in your theory.

Just sent in some Leica equipment to Solms and got an answer that for some special rate, the speed of the service can be accelerated to a couple of days. DIdnt you guys get this choice?

Also I got a tracking number and telephone number-I called and they told me how long I would have to wait for the repair.

Are we talking about the same Leica service?

Cheers, Tom

Just sent in some Leica equipment to Solms and got an answer that for some special rate, the speed of the service can be accelerated to a couple of days. DIdnt you guys get this choice?

Also I got a tracking number and telephone number-I called and they told me how long I would have to wait for the repair.

Are we talking about the same Leica service?

Cheers, Tom

Sorta makes me wonder who wouldn't want to pay the extra money for the repair turn around, unless it was like' 100+ percent or higher. Otherwise, I wonder how they would be able to commit to the "couple of days" for so many customers. I suppose this for only certain kinds of issues, otherwise this would pretty much put this issue to rest.

Regards,