50 mm SL summilux f1.4 asph or the APO summicron sl 75 mm lens?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently own the 50 mm sl summilux f1.4. It is great for portrait and low light. I use the SL2s body and do a lot of street, and travel photography.  I was thinking of trading in the 50 and going for the 75mm APO summicron sl.  Any thoughts?  Weight is an issue but would I be trading away image quality if I go to the 75 mm APO?

A 75 is a bit long for street work. The shallower depth of field could also be problematic, as well as a higher ISO and shutter speed compared to using the 50. I would go the other way, 35 or 28. The 75 is more suitable for tighter portraits rather than the 50.

Thanks for replying Pieter.  My other lens besides the summilux  is a 28mm APO summicron sl f2.  If I keep my kit as is,  it consists of the 28mm summicron apo and the 50 mm summilux.  My thought was to trade in the summilux and get a smaller/lighter 75.  But what do you think?

The SL 75 apo is my favorite lens ever made by any manufacturer… I have all 6 apo summicrons and they as a matching set are impressive for ultimate image quality and good balance of not being too big.

I don’t see the 75 as a primary use for street.  Portraits, both it and your 50 work well.  But because you also have the incredible 28 apo (for street) I’d prob add the 75 apo so you have best of both worlds with a matched set of apo looks.

You’ll have plenty who recommend the 50 because of its distinctive look as well.  But compression without cropping a full frame sensor it can’t achieve like the 75.  I would pair your 28 with the 90 apo if you are keeping the 50 1.4 for a great spread of 3 different focal lengths.  To me, the 50 and 75 are too close to each other.  

Robb

• Like 5

I used to own the 75 APO. It's an amazing lens but I had to sell it because it never got used. Like Robb says, it's too close to the 50/1.4 SL I do mostly street, travel and portraiture. For my needs, the 28 APO, 50, and 90 APO are more than enough. I'm thinking of adding the 21 but I fear that being too close to the 28 one of those two will become redundant.

On another point, a lot of people complain about the weight and bulk of the 50/1.4 SL. I take it with me everywhere. It works for me. Here's a recent image I took in Dubai. Notice that nobody is looking at me. Depends a lot on how you work too:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 75 APO is a great lens, probably my favorite of the APO Summicron-SL lenses that I currently own (I have the APO 21, 35, 50, 75), but I love the 50 1.4 and commonly carry it as well.  I think @Sohail makes a good point - but in my case I had both the 90 and 75 and chose to keep the 75 for the way I used it, even for portraiture.  I have no issues carrying either a 21/35/75 kit or a 21/50/75 kit, especially with the SL3, where I can still get a 32mm equivalent to fill the gap in APS-c mode at 26 MP.  

Subject separation at equal framing with the 50 1.4 and 75 APO will be similar - although obviously you'll need more working distance with the 75.  But the falloff is different with the 50 1.4.  If you're looking for a very abrupt falloff with very precise subject borders at portrait distances than the 75 is what you want to use.  If you're looking for a smoother transition at portrait distances while still maintaining a high level of subject separation then the 50 1.4 is what to use.  It's why I still have all of these lenses. 

Edited by Dr. G
  • Like 4

I own both…slightly prefer the Summilux rendering. But one is 50 the other 75. you need tonknow which focal length you prefer.

if its just size not focal length, getbthen50 sl apo Summicron. If you want a little focal length…get the 75 and forget minor differences in rendering. Thats what I would recommend.

I dont know why but I use 50 more often then. 75.

but I think I should use 75 more often.

The other question is the combo with other focal lengths.

28-50 works fine

35-50,quite close

35-75:fine

28-75 should work, alittle more challenge to decide for either little wider or little closer

i havent made up my mind if I prefer 28-50-90 or 28-75.

to sum it up… you need to know which focal length you prefer.

last comment. For indoor 75 can be a little tight compared to 50, outdoor you can stepmbackwards a little bit.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 4:51 AM, Simone_DF said:

Why?

There are photographers that shot street regularly with a 90 and above. 

For most, street photography is about capturing an instant, working quickly and close among the people or places you are photographing. A longer lens is less than ideal for those situations, being slower to focus accurately, having shallower depth of field, physically bulkier and standing out more when anonymity is usually preferable. I'm sure there are those shooting street with long lenses, I would ask for examples of well-known practictioners. To my knowledge, the great majority of street shooters use 50mm or shorter lenses almost exclusively.

My experience matches Tom’s.  I have had both, and loved the 50 Summilux for its rendering - it’s the best 50mm lens I’ve used, without exception (compared to the Noctilux, Summilux APSH and APO SUmmicron in M mount, which I still have).  The 75 Summicron is also fabulous, but I never saw the benefit in owning both.

My advice would be to keep the Summilux if you can handle the weight and the slightly slower focus - the results are worth it, and it is nice to have the option of a faster lens and different rendering.  It balances nicely on the 601.

I’m also a fan of wides.  There’s a huge difference between 21mm and 28mm.  If you like wides, 21-28-50 is a combination I often carry (with an APO 180/2.8 Elmarit-R, if I don’t have to carry it all).

I don’t do street photography, as I don’t see the point in taking photos of random strangers unless there is an interesting situation unfolding and then I prefer it if the people are just figures, with no particular recognition - I don’t see the point.  But then, my photography is more contemplative.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Pieter12 said:

For most, street photography is about capturing an instant, working quickly and close among the people or places you are photographing. A longer lens is less than ideal for those situations,

I disagree. A longer lens is neither better or worse, it gives a different perspective. 

15 minutes ago, Pieter12 said:

being slower to focus accurately,

Again, why? My APO 90 focus as fast as my APO 50 and my 24mm. Do you have anything to back your claim or are you just referring to manual focus lenses?

17 minutes ago, Pieter12 said:

having shallower depth of field,

Sure, but you can also stop down. 

17 minutes ago, Pieter12 said:

physically bulkier and standing out more

Not at all. The APO line has the same size and bulk for all the lenses in the lineup, so swapping between 28 and 90 is the same. Panasonic’s line of 1.8 lenses follows the same formula. The Sigma 90mm 2.8 is incredibly compact for what it is too. 

I’ll post some photographers later

6 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

A longer lens is neither better or worse, it gives a different perspective.

Moving your feet gives a different perspective.

Before we head off into another discussion about cropping, the difference between the 50 Summilux and the 75 Summicron is less about field of view than it is about rendering (particularly fall-off) and having the f/1.4 option.  I haven’t calculated the comparison, but I suspect the depth of field of a 50mm lens at f/1.4 and a 75 at f/2 is indistinguishable, of you don’t move …

10 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

I’m also a fan of wides.  There’s a huge difference between 21mm and 28mm.  If you like wides, 21-28-50 is a combination I often carry (with an APO 180/2.8 Elmarit-R, if I don’t have to carry it all).

I agree - and I could honestly just go out with my SL3, the 21 APO and either the APO SL or Lux SL and get 97% of what I need between standard mode and crop mode.  The 21 APO is a lens that needs to be experienced to understand just how good it is.  It behaves like a wide normal, if that makes sense, with very little stretching at the edges.  

That being said, I somehow found a way to fit the 21, 35, 50 and 75 APO and the 50 SL into a relatively modest sized bag.  I'm built like a linebacker so I just take it all with me most of the time.  When the 10mm Laowa 2.8 ships I'll probably swap out either the 35 APO or 50 APO for it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Moving your feet gives a different perspective.

Before we head off into another discussion about cropping, the difference between the 50 Summilux and the 75 Summicron is less about field of view than it is about rendering (particularly fall-off) and having the f/1.4 option.  I haven’t calculated the comparison, but I suspect the depth of field of a 50mm lens at f/1.4 and a 75 at f/2 is indistinguishable, of you don’t move …

I should take my 50 Lux and 75 APO out this weekend and shoot some things side by side.  Full disclosure - I'm terrible at balancing exposures between lenses, but I can frame things the same.  Could be an interesting comparison.

My prediction is still that the 75 APO will create an image where the subject has more of a "cutout" look with almost equal depth of field as the 50 1.4.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

I disagree. A longer lens is neither better or worse, it gives a different perspective. 

Again, why? My APO 90 focus as fast as my APO 50 and my 24mm. Do you have anything to back your claim or are you just referring to manual focus lenses?

Sure, but you can also stop down. 

Not at all. The APO line has the same size and bulk for all the lenses in the lineup, so swapping between 28 and 90 is the same. Panasonic’s line of 1.8 lenses follows the same formula. The Sigma 90mm 2.8 is incredibly compact for what it is too. 

I’ll post some photographers later

Manual focus and film.

Edited by Pieter12

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I consider this a street shot. Shot with an SL2 + 90 APO SL. Not my preferred focal length for street photography but just to say that I think it's limiting to say that you can't do street stuff at any particular focal length. 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 7:22 PM, Pieter12 said:

Manual focus and film.

For manual focus and film, sure, I totally agree with you, but the OP is using a SL2-S and considering a 75mm SL APO, which is an AF lens, so speed is not really applicable here.

Anyway, here are some examples of people using lenses longer than 50mm for street photography. Google is your friend, though 85 is more popular than 90mm.

https://www.derekclarkphotography.com/35mm-street/2015/12/08/street-photography-with-the-fujifilm-90mm-f2

https://alikgriffin.com/street-photography-with-fujifilm-90mm-f2/

https://petapixel.com/2019/03/08/what-a-longer-focal-length-can-offer-your-street-photography/

https://nicoharoldphotography.com/2018/05/16/85mm-street-photography/

• 3 weeks later...

Now I have a dilemma.  I have a friend's wedding to attend in Cabo next weekend and I'm debating what lenses to take with me for the trip.  It's either 21/35/75 APO, 21/35/50 APO or 21/35 APO and 50 Lux.  Kit needs to be able to do some photos at the wedding as well as travel photography while I'm there.   Part of me thinks the 50 Lux is better left at home because as a guest, that's an imposing lens to be using.  The 35 APO is so highly resolving that I could use it in APS-C mode on my SL3 and I'll still have great looking images at a 50mm equivalent.  Tough call.