M9 wish list

hankg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agree with a lot of this stuff, particularly the need to have ISO manually controllable from, eg, a dial on the top plate. Unpaired brightlines would be nice. I'd also like to put a vote in for the top plate LCD (for battery charge and shots remaining) to remain on even when the camera's off (like pretty much any DSLR).

And since we're wishing, how about a 50% price refund for anyone whose M8 has had to go back to Solms more than once because of duff Leica quality control...? :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As Leica has put the kabosh on any improvements to the M8 via firmware I thought I'd make a list of the things that didn't quite clear the bar in the M8 and which should be fixed in the M9.

[ATTACH]63744[/ATTACH]

Hank,

Great ideas, but can you change this to the "M10 Wish List" ? It's too late for the M9 hardware, that's finished and they're working on the firmware and software now and field testing the M9. There has to be a design cut-off well in advance of launch.

Rolo

For people who can read german, there is a piece in the today's issue of german newspaper "Die Welt" about Leica.

There's a very interesting section in that article - translation via Google I'm afraid...

" Thus far been known to work meticulously to developers primarily on three innovations. First, there will be M9 viewfinder camera with a full-size sensor. That brings the highest picture quality. Moreover, a R10-Spiegelreflexkamera with übergroßem chip and autofocus in the works - a new complex to the closure and the lenses. And finally, should provide a kind of "small" digital M on the market."

Time to start saving those pennies <grin>

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My wishlist for the M9 would have been an M8 which got it right i.e. where Leica took the time (after the fact is O.K.) to listen to and support all the people who bought the M8, lenses et al on faith that Leica was a decent company. My hat stays on with respect to Stephen Lee and others who will take the Leica reputation to the very bottom with the way they treat their customers and I for one will not deal with them again and this is from a guy who had a DMR, a bunch (and I mean a bunch of R lenses) and subsequently two M8's and an inventory of M lenses that would make most folks envious.

I am going back to my Nikons, knowing the files are not as good as the Leica's (but more than good enough) and leave the Leica world to all you folks who deserve much better but don't get it.

This is my last post on the forum. I have loved getting to know so many of you through this experience. Best to all and great imaging.

Woody Spedden

Woody I hope you are kidding???

If not I'm sorry to see you go. Maybe in the future you'll change your mind.

Just what happened in the last week that made you come to this decision.

Thanks for all your knowledge, I've always enjoyed your posts.

There's a very interesting section in that article - translation via Google I'm afraid...

" Thus far been known to work meticulously to developers primarily on three innovations. First, there will be M9 viewfinder camera with a full-size sensor. That brings the highest picture quality. Moreover, a R10-Spiegelreflexkamera with übergroßem chip and autofocus in the works - a new complex to the closure and the lenses. And finally, should provide a kind of "small" digital M on the market."

Time to start saving those pennies <grin>

I wonder how much the M cameras will retail for.

.... My hat stays on with respect to Stephen Lee and others who will take the Leica reputation to the very bottom with the way they treat their customers and I for one will not deal with them again...I am going back to my Nikons.....This is my last post....

With all due respect to others who have posted in this fantasy thread, Woody's post leapt out at me as the most significant contribution, and a sad lament.

Woody has contributed a great deal to this forum and I have great sympathy for the frustration he feels with the company whose products he invested in and stayed with through their financial low point. Leica has to get Woody's message for their and our sake:

Improve quality control.

Understand that anything less than a rapid turn around on returned goods to Solms is unacceptable for professional equipment.

Wake up Leica!

Sorry to hear of your tipping point Woody.

.................... Chris

For people who can read german, there is a piece in the today's issue of german newspaper "Die Welt" about Leica.

And yes, the M9 is mentioned as well, although they mark it as "rumored" (along with R10 and a smaller RF camera).

Drei-Stufen-Plan für Leica - Nachrichten welt_print - WELT ONLINE

can M8 users trade in their M8s for M9?

Yes

Via eBay.

When will the "Leica have robbed me, I've just bought an M8 and now they've announced the M9" threads start?

You got that right. I first looked for a smiley face at the end of the trade 8>9 post but it wasn't there.

I have a M3 do you think Leica would take it in trade for a M9.:cool::eek:

Ther's always one in the crowd.;)

If you don't like the M8 then sell it and wait for the M9. Otherwise do what I'm going to do today.

Go out and take some pictures. With any camera you have.

Actually I'm going to a Gun Show first.

Have a good one.

And yes, the M9 is mentioned as well, although they mark it as "rumored" (along with R10 and a smaller RF camera).

Drei-Stufen-Plan für Leica - Nachrichten welt_print - WELT ONLINE

It sounds more like a collection of Leica forum rumor threads ... what haven't we talked about here? perhaps the author is a forum member? :D

I like the word they chose ... übergroßem ... sounds like a status symbol with a lot of bragging rights. LOL