M9 wish list

hankg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As Leica has put the kabosh on any improvements to the M8 via firmware I thought I'd make a list of the things that didn't quite clear the bar in the M8 and which should be fixed in the M9.

I am not talking about sensor size or IR filtration since I'm sure Leica will do whatever the technology allows. If they can go full frame and git rid of the IR filters on the lenses they will do it. I am talking about design decisions that where not the result of technological limitations. Not in order of importance:

1. Smoother shutter release (see Walts recent post)

2. Some sound insulation to quiet the shutter release sound

3. Better gripping surface maybe have 2 options: Griptac or Vulcanite

4. At least a purchase for the thumb to make up for the loss of the winder as a stop for the thumb.

5. External controls for ISO and EV

6. More accurate framing at the most used RF distance say 3 meters?

I'd like to be able to adjust ISO and EV without taking my hand out of position. In the illustration attached I envisioned controls that work like a auto shifter: click to go up or down a 1/3rd to reset to base settings (whatever you set on the rear LCD menu) push down or in on the clicker.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Smoother shutter release (see Walts recent post)

2. Some sound insulation to quiet the shutter release sound

3. Better gripping surface maybe have 2 options: Griptac or Vulcanite

4. At least a purchase for the thumb to make up for the loss of the winder as a stop for the thumb.

5. External controls for ISO and EV

6. More accurate framing at the most used RF distance say 3 meters?

Hank - Yes please. And ....

07. Flash connection.

08. Shutter speed readout in the viewfinder.

09. Built in diopter correction.

10. D3 quality screen.

11. Full screen histogram option without image.

12. Option to reverse over/under exposure indication in the viewfinder.

13. Zoom magnification of viewfinder.

14. Thumbwheel shutter speed control.

15 Quality control improvements.

The legacy Taliban will want me flogged with a teddy bear, thrown in jail for 15 days, and deported for suggesting 13 and 14.

............... Chris

Hank - Yes please. And ....

07. Flash connection.

08. Shutter speed readout in the viewfinder.

09. Built in diopter correction.

10. D3 quality screen.

11. Full screen histogram option without image.

12. Option to reverse over/under exposure indication in the viewfinder.

13. Zoom magnification of viewfinder.

14. Thumbwheel shutter speed control.

15 Quality control improvements.

The legacy Taliban will want me flogged with a teddy bear, thrown in jail for 15 days, and deported for suggesting 13 and 14.

............... Chris

Personally I don't think 14 would improve the controls. Not that it couldn't work it's just that what is there works fine as it is and there is no point in changing controls that users are accustomed to unless they offer a significant improvement.

A zooming viewfinder I wouldn't want either. The Contax G had one and to me it sucked compared to the M finder. I would like an improved finder that preserved the simplicity, clarity and transparency of the current optical component of the finder but with one frame presented at a time accurate for framing and parallax. But that would be new technology (LCD) and here I'm just speaking about interface choices.

In AE mode you do get a shutter speed readout and I wished you had it in manual mode. I know when it's to slow for a steady shot and that going from 30 to 60 is one stop. I know if it's fast enough to stop action, etc., To me it makes things a lot easier.

I'm all for the rest.

How bout a smaller shutter speed dial with the shutter speed display, and aperture display, a more robust bottom plate lock, seals everywhere. I mean apart form what is generally listed.

And get rid of that plus minus on the shutter speed dial. Sheesh.

The plus minus is not on the shutter speed dial it's for EV comp at the front and changing ISO at the back with small controllers extending from the bottom of the shutter speed dial. So with your forefinger and thumb you have shutter release, shutter speed, EV and ISO at your fingertip with your hand in firing position.

The camera has an aperture display, it's on the aperture ring on the lens. The camera has no way of knowing the aperture accurately and why have another LCD display up top when shutter speed and aperture are clearly displayed on the controls as they have been for 50 years. Another reason the shutter speed dial is better as is rather then as a thumbwheel.

I should also add better jpeg and AWB. It isn't something I need but for jpeg shooters who have to nail it in camera it's a big deal.

All of this is really more an M8 II rather then an M9. It's the current camera with some slight tweaks and fixes. Not that I think Leica is interested in revisiting the M8. It was a sales success and now it's on to the R10 and M9. Gotta keep the products coming to maintain sales growth.

Here's all I need in the M9:

1. The M7 shutter noise (or lack thereof!)

2. A microchip to be implanted in my brain that knows everything about color management from shutter click to paper print. Hey, I know I'm asking a lot: I just want the colors on paper to be what I see when I click the shutter.

-g

My wishlist for the M9 would have been an M8 which got it right i.e. where Leica took the time (after the fact is O.K.) to listen to and support all the people who bought the M8, lenses et al on faith that Leica was a decent company. My hat stays on with respect to Stephen Lee and others who will take the Leica reputation to the very bottom with the way they treat their customers and I for one will not deal with them again and this is from a guy who had a DMR, a bunch (and I mean a bunch of R lenses) and subsequently two M8's and an inventory of M lenses that would make most folks envious.

I am going back to my Nikons, knowing the files are not as good as the Leica's (but more than good enough) and leave the Leica world to all you folks who deserve much better but don't get it.

This is my last post on the forum. I have loved getting to know so many of you through this experience. Best to all and great imaging.

Woody Spedden

The plus minus is not on the shutter speed dial it's for EV comp at the front and changing ISO at the back with small controllers extending from the bottom of the shutter speed dial. So with your forefinger and thumb you have shutter release, shutter speed, EV and ISO at your fingertip with your hand in firing position.

The camera has an aperture display, it's on the aperture ring on the lens. The camera has no way of knowing the aperture accurately and why have another LCD display up top when shutter speed and aperture are clearly displayed on the controls as they have been for 50 years. Another reason the shutter speed dial is better as is rather then as a thumbwheel.

Some might want to use the camera in manual. Locating the +/- beneath the shutter speed is stupid. It gets in the way. Find a thumb tab or something.

Yes I know it has aperture on the lens barrel. Whats your point? It cant be seen in the viewfinder. I guess for aperture automatic guys it doesnt matter.

And yea I would keep the shutter speed on the top but smaller like m6 mp so you can use shutter release at same time as setting speed.

Why the bulge in the front of the grip? How the heck do you glue sheet neoprene patch round the end if there is a silly half assed finger grip?

Anyway, I would settle for robust, sealed, jpg fix, reliability. Call me when it happens.

Some might want to use the camera in manual. Locating the +/- beneath the shutter speed is stupid. It gets in the way.

That would depend on how it's implemented. I'm sure there are many and maybe better ways to do it. But this is 15 minutes in Photoshop not a design study. I think people get the idea.

Yes I know it has aperture on the lens barrel. Whats your point? It cant be seen in the viewfinder.

I thought you were talking about displaying aperture in an LCD dislplay on top. Which is why I said what I said. In any case the lens has no way of communicating aperture to the camera so it's not really an option.

Why the bulge in the front of the grip? How the heck do you glue sheet neoprene patch round the end if there is a silly half assed finger grip?

There are 1000's of cameras with grips small and large that are covered with no problem. The more critical bit for grip is for the thumb. I'm sure lots would object to anything that changed the appearance of the front of the camera so it's unlikely any sort of grip small, half-assed, big or any other kind would see the light of day.

As long as I'm dreaming. This would let the thumb work EV and ISO without moving out of position and the forefinger control shutter speed and release.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

Hank just bought you a plane ticket to Solms. I LIKE that and that was what i said from day one that bigger LCD screen on top. Now i like the plus and minus also around the shutter dial. The only thing i would add is you see the adjustment IN the finder like a readout as the shutter is today. Som indication wothout removing your eye on where you are at with Exp comp and ISO. the only thing i would add to the list is the electronic frame lines for the lens you have on the body. Just a single 4 corner slashes or thin white lines and still see out side them and maybe have the ability via firmware to grey out the outside the lines or not. Gives the user a choice. i would be pleased as punch right there on what you have and what i added. of course maybe some small mior improvemnet but there the biggies right there for me. FF i would not turn it down nor would i turn down 18 mpx but would certainly like to get back to 16 bit as the DMR is .

Could you send me that image, i know just who to send it to and bug him:D :D :D

Actually love the second setup even better all at the thumb without looking . be still my beating heart

At last some VERY GOOD IDEA AND DESIGN thinking on how bettering what we have, not some lcd removal and fancy digital MP for my grandad.

I really like what I see here. Direct access to key setups without making the back look like a piano as t happens with many reflex camera.

Regarding the frame line accuracy, I second Guy. Actually why do we need to bring the frame mechanically and display a line that actually physically exists in the body? the frame line could be a digital overlay in the viewfinder, if it was this way, we could adjust it via a menu a -/+ set so if I like the frameline to match at 2 meters I adjust, if I want if at 1 m, I do too. etc... This also means we could have many more framelines available in the way I could adjust a CV25 or a CV40 pushing my 24 frame or my 35 one. It also means I could bring one single frame at a time if I wished, this would avoid confusion and error for many new comers to RF.

For me the best physical improvement they could do, is to get rid of the base plate. I understand they wanted to give a completely M look, but with digital we do not have to load a film, garanty that there are no light leaks from the bottom etc. So please forget this time wasting way of changing batteries and cards, leave them where they are, but just put a simple push / lock door, as on many cameras.

Eric

I like the bigger LCD idea. Would like a push button lock for the on-off switch, like the lock for the mode dial on the Leica R9. Would be nice but not necessary to have a dedicated button for changing the ISO, e.g. push the ISO button and turn the thumbwheel to change ISO. Otherwise, request that the M9 doesn't change too much from the traditional M ergonomics.

Would be really really nice if the M9 can be made no bigger than a MP in size and thickness together with some weather sealing. A discount coupon for M8 owners. Full frame please !!! Oh, forgot to request a 3rd colour choice of anthracite for the M9. Thanks and Best Regards to the Leica Team reading this xxxxxxxxx :D