1 out of 3

itoncool

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you value the 35/2 for its lightness and compactness, the Noctilux and 75mm Summilux are definitely not the way to go. Both are large and heavy and change the handling of the camera as a result and that's before you even get to the question of whether the Noctilux focusses properly. Mine is on its third trip to Solms, Leica's fourth attempt to set it up to allow the minute focussing corrections this lens needs and to be properly calibrated at each end of the focussing range.

You need to think about how big a step in angle of view you want; you could go for the 28 Summicron and 50 Summilux to give you quite modest changes (use the preview lever to see them, rather too approximately) or else you could go for bigger step changes to a 24mm Elmarit and 75mm Summicron. All depends on the photography you like to do.

They're all excellent lenses and I could happily live with just the 28mm Summicron (while still hankering after a 28mm Summilux).

The Summilux-M 35mm ASPH is a good alternative for a first and base lens in a system. You can go up (75mm, 90mm) or down (24mm, 21mm) for completing the set.

The Summicron-M 28mm ASPH is a second possible (alternative) base for a set, as Mark has explained.

I have decided to go for 75mm first, I'm not sure of getting the Nocti now and I'm still considering between 28 or 24, but I'm pretty sure that I will not go over 75 for my RF. That's why I make up my mind to go for the 75 first. Thanks a lot for the input guys, really helpful! I really mean it...

I went to one store at my town this morning not for buying the lens, but I had a chance to hold and try a while all the lenses I want, including the LEICA APO-SUMMICRON-M 75mm f/2 ASPH. It's not about the price, but the size, I like it better than the SUMMILUX-M 75 mm f/1.4, I haven't bought one, but if I go for the 75 summicron regarding of the size, then do you guys think I will lose 'bigger' from not having the 75 summilux?

From my limited experience with one M camera + one M lens, there is one thing that I like most about Leica beside the compactness is you don't need to slower the aperture to get the noticeable sharpest result. Go wide open is as good (or at least less noticeable) as a few stops smaller. IMHO.

It's not about the price, but the size, I like it better than the SUMMILUX-M 75 mm f/1.4, I haven't bought one, but if I go for the 75 summicron regarding of the size, then do you guys think I will lose 'bigger' from not having the 75 summilux?

It's all about how the lens draws. Some here on this forum like the way the Summilux draws better then the Summicron and that it is one stop faster. I've never even held a 75 Lux but I do own a 75 Cron and it is one great lens.

The Lux seems to be used more for portrait shots wide open because it is softer and has shalllower DOF at that aperture compared to the 75 Cron wide open. In todays world that is nothing that can't be corrected for in Photoshop if you use the 75 Cron.

Of course, as with everything, YMMV.

I have decided to go for 75mm first, I'm not sure of getting the Nocti now and I'm still considering between 28 or 24, but I'm pretty sure that I will not go over 75 for my RF. That's why I make up my mind to go for the 75 first. Thanks a lot for the input guys, really helpful! I really mean it...

I went to one store at my town this morning not for buying the lens, but I had a chance to hold and try a while all the lenses I want, including the LEICA APO-SUMMICRON-M 75mm f/2 ASPH. It's not about the price, but the size, I like it better than the SUMMILUX-M 75 mm f/1.4, I haven't bought one, but if I go for the 75 summicron regarding of the size, then do you guys think I will lose 'bigger' from not having the 75 summilux? .

Given what you've said I'm sure you're right to go for the 75mm and not something wider. Speaking for myself, about 98% of the time I'd rather have the lighter weight and easier handling of the Summicron over the Summilux (and probably of the Summarit over the Summicron). Only you can decide whether the extra f stop is worth it to you.

The Summilux 75mm is bigger and heavier than the APO-Summicron 75mm. From f/2.8 down the differences in resolution and contrast are very small in practical terms, if any. The Summilux at f/1.4 has a very special rendering but, be careful, focusing with precision isn't easy.