1 out of 3

itoncool

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been an SLR shooter for a long time (+ DSLR now), in about a year ago I started to shoot RF after I bought an M6 + 35 f/2 Summicron, I love it, small and handy, my best traveling friend ever since...

I'm planning to have three lenses more to go with it, and will be having them one by one, slowly... End of this year I'm thinking of adding one more lens, for my own Christmas present :D but, I still confuse of deciding what will be my next purchase first. I have 3 candidates.

28 f/2 Summicron, because it's the widest lens my M6 viewfinder could bear without any additional viewfinder. (correct me if I'm wrong)

50 f/1 Noctilux, because it seems to have 'not-ordinary' result that I'd like to have.

75 f/1.4 Summilux, because I like portraiture and it's the longest Leica I want to have.

I would be happy to get one of those three, but What do you think between those three should I get first to be paired with my 35 f/2 Summicron? "if You were Me".

Many Thanks for your kindly response :)

Well if I were you I'd go for the 28mm Summicron - but then I prefer wide to long. People say that 28/35/50 are close together, but I've not found that .

You are correct, provided you have an M6 classic, or an M6 TTL with .58 or .72 viewfinder it's the widest you can use with the built in viewfinder. You should be able to see the framelines by moving the small lever on the front of the camera. The 28mm framelines are coupled with the 90mm.

The Nocti and Summilux are good lenses, but a bit close together in terms of focal length - and try to handle the Nocti before you buy. Operationally it can be difficult, expecially if you want to focus fast.

You know of course none of us can _really_ make the decision for you <grin>

Ariston, welcome.

You may find all lenses from Leica are hard to obtain at the moment.

You may also discover that the Noci' is very expensive. It contains a single element that contributes more than half the cost of the lens, and the cost of producing this element has gone thru the roof.

If you are thinking you might go digital (M8), you may want to think of the lenses as both M6 and M8 "lengths." The nominal length of the lens increases by a factor of 1 1/3 on the M8.

I use and love the 75 'lux. I also use and couldn't do without the 24mm f2.8. Highly recommended.

It is said that anticipation is the greatest joy in life (I guess that means many people find getting is less enjoyable than thinking about it). Photography and Leica's fit anticipation to a "t."

Enjoy.

Ariston, welcome.

You may find all lenses from Leica are hard to obtain at the moment.

You may also discover that the Noci' is very expensive. It contains a single element that contributes more than half the cost of the lens, and the cost of producing this element has gone thru the roof.

If you are thinking you might go digital (M8), you may want to think of the lenses as both M6 and M8 "lengths." The nominal length of the lens increases by a factor of 1 1/3 on the M8.

I use and love the 75 'lux. I also use and couldn't do without the 24mm f2.8. Highly recommended.

It is said that anticipation is the greatest joy in life (I guess that means many people find getting is less enjoyable than thinking about it). Photography and Leica's fit anticipation to a "t."

Enjoy.

Bill you have summed up the relationship with Leica in a nutshell. We spend hours of research on lenses map out our strategy on how to obtain them (without too much backlash from the loved ones). No sooner do achieve the goal then someone on the forum highlights the merits of the next target. Guess what ... I wouldn't have it any other way.

Regards to all ... Jim.

I've been an SLR shooter for a long time (+ DSLR now), in about a year ago I started to shoot RF after I bought an M6 + 35 f/2 Summicron, I love it, small and handy, my best traveling friend ever since...

I'm planning to have three lenses more to go with it, and will be having them one by one, slowly... End of this year I'm thinking of adding one more lens, for my own Christmas present :D but, I still confuse of deciding what will be my next purchase first. I have 3 candidates.

28 f/2 Summicron, because it's the widest lens my M6 viewfinder could bear without any additional viewfinder. (correct me if I'm wrong)

50 f/1 Noctilux, because it seems to have 'not-ordinary' result that I'd like to have.

75 f/1.4 Summilux, because I like portraiture and it's the longest Leica I want to have.

I would be happy to get one of those three, but What do you think between those three should I get first to be paired with my 35 f/2 Summicron? "if You were Me".

Many Thanks for your kindly response :)

First get the 24/2.8 asph which goes extremely well with a 35 mm lens. Next year, get the 50/1.4 asph, and the year after that buy the 75/2.0 asph.

I would probably have bought the 35/1.4 asph instead of the 35/2.0 asph, but both are extremely good lenses, and the 35/2.0 asph is extremely contrasty and a very good lens, although it is limited by the maximum opening of 2.0, where the 1.4 asph with its better possibilities of unsharp out of focus areas offers better photografic possibilities.

The 24/2.8 asph is one of Leica's best lenses ever and the ideal companion to the 35 mm focal length with the M8. The 28/2.0 asph will not find practical use, if you have already a 35 mm lens, som go for the wider lens, also since the 24/2.8 asph is so much better a lens than the 28/2.0 asph.

Some people would say that you could do well without the 50 mm lens, if you have a 35 mm lens, and that a 75 mm lens would complement the outfit better. However, the 50/1.4 asph is such a good lens that you should never build an outfit without that lens. The 50/1.0 is, certainly, in a class of its own, but if you have the 50/1.4 asph, you really do not need the Noctilux, unless, of course, you can afford to have both lenses. Do not listen to people that propose to get the 50/2.0 lens or any other 50 mm lens with smaller openings. The summicron 50 is in my experience nothing special in our days, but a rather dull lens compared to the star quality of the 50/1.4 asph. The Noctilux is too heavy and impractical for everyday use - whereas the 50/1.4 asph will quickly become your camera cap!

The 75/2.0 asph is an excellent lens and easier to handle than the 75/1.4 which has also gone out of production. If you can afford both, do buy them, but if you have to be a bit economic, the 75/2.0 asph really delivers excellent results. The 75/1.4 is, however, the best portrait lens and very much gives results like the Noctilux, and it is as too heavy and impractical for everyday use, just like the Noctilux.

I should add that I am in no way biased in my advice to you - I have all the lenses mentioned in this post, except the 50/2.0 and the 35/2.0 asph which I have recently sold, since they could in no way compete with the 50/1.4 asph and the 35/1.4 asph and therefore found very rare use.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First get the 24/2.8 asph which goes extremely well with a 35 mm lens. Next year, get the 50/1.4 asph, and the year after that buy the 75/2.0 asph....The 24/2.8 asph is one of Leica's best lenses ever and the ideal companion to the 35 mm focal .

I am in accord with Michael's suggestions except that (disclaimer: I have never used the 75mm f2.0) the 75 'lux is an "old design." The 24 and the 50 f1.4 are new designs that will give you incredible detail and sharpmenss. The 75 f1.4 will give you the warmth and softness of Leica lenses from some time ago.

It is a wonderful lens and foceses much better if you buy the STEER from leicagoodies.com. I can't believe how I got along without this (inexpensive) add-on to my 75 'lux.

Have a ball.

Seeing as you have a 35 on a full frame camera, I'd choose the 75 Summilux for those portraits. The 50 you can get by without for the moment, the 35 / 75 combo should suit most situations. In terms of the Noctilux, it's no longer available from Leica (or so I've been told) expect a new version if rumors are correct but in reality a 50 summilux Asph is a much safer bet in terms of focus and lack of focus drift as the aperture changes. On the wide side, I'd go wider than the 28 seeing as you have the 35, perhaps a 21 with an external finder would give a complete different perspective.

I have used a M6 +35 and 90 mm for years.

If you allready have I think 28 and 50 is not that much different. In this case I would go for 75 (if you prefer that instead of 90).

Later you could add a 21mm lens and you are all set

If you would shoot with M8 I would prefer 28+50.

Cheers, Tom

If I would strictly follow your list, agree with Eoin : you speak of "travelling" : 35 + 75 is an ideal set, and the 1,4 (that I have not) can donate you unique OOF flavours and ambient-light capabilties. And I personally tell you to forget the Noctilux.

Of course, speaking of a different way to spend the same money... a world of possibilties opens to you... even without leaving the brand...

- Summarit 75 + used Super Angulon 21 (lovely lens) ?

- Same with Summarit 90 ?

- Summarit 75 + used Tele Elmar 135 ? (roughly, also a CV 15 fits in the $...) ?

- Summarit 90 or 75 + Elmarit 28 Asph ?

The 28 'cron is by far the most versatile of the three lenses you list. I've had one since this summer and it just keeps on amazing me. It is also a lot smaller and lighter than the Nocti and the 75'lux. It's your call, good luck deciding.

- Carl

Yeah Carl,

As my first Leica lens I recently opted for the 28-cron' and it is indeed a keeper. Initially, I thought it was too heavy although I now embrace the 3300-hundred dollar investment as my body cap. Next up; will likely be the silver 50-lux’ although the 21-Elmarit is very tempting though expensive!:rolleyes:

Regards,

...It is said that anticipation is the greatest joy in life (I guess that means many people find getting is less enjoyable than thinking about it). Photography and Leica's fit anticipation to a "t."...

Bill, you tend to always come up with just the right words that most all of us can relate to. Thanks for this insight and accurate passage; now excuse me, since I have to get back to figuring out how to turn my fantasy of the 21-Elmarit into reality.

Regards,:rolleyes:

For your next purchase, I would go with the 75/1.4. If you like portraiture, I think you'll love this lens. Also, it is the furthest from what you currently have.

In terms of the other lenses you mention:

- The 28/2 is a great, sharp lens and is the lens I use most often. If I go out with only one lens not knowing what I'm going to find, that is the lens. But if you've already got a 35, I don't know that it makes sense for your only two lenses to be a 28 and a 35. So I say get the lens one day, but not right away.

- The Nocti can be a fun lens, but I don't consider it practical as your only 50mm lens. It is a large beast, focus shift makes many of the fast apertures unusable for me, and the bokeh can sometimes be ugly to my eye. The 50/1.4, on the other hand, is a wonderful lens, sharp in the in-focus areas and nice bokeh to my eye in the out-of-focus areas. It is also very practical for day-to-day use. I would get the 50/1.4 before even thinking about the Nocti. After the 28/2, it is my most used lens.

Just my 2 cents...

David

Thanks a lot guys for your all kindly responses...

I've heard a lot about the Nocti, goods and bads, Honestly, I really curious about the lens, and how this lens could create 'different' results but after I read all the responses here, maybe different is not equal to good and I need to rethink again about having one.

From what I've received, now I began to get tempted to go wider than 28, but an additional viewfinder is really bugging me, I wonder how important is using the extra viewfinder if I go wider than 28?

I have all three lenses as well as the 35 Cron asph. I have to vote for the 75 1.4. It is my favorite lens along with the 28Cron.

My order would be-

1. 75 Lux. A must have if you like portraits.

2. 28 Cron. Also my favorite. It can wait a little since you already have a 35,

3. Nocti. You either like it or you don't. I don't use it enough but keep it as a toy. Franlkly, there are other lenses I would get before the Nocti. e.g. 50 Lux asph or the 90 APO.

Most of these are regularly available used in mint condition from eBay or dealers.

Good hunting,

Alan

I've heard a lot about the Nocti, goods and bads, Honestly, I really curious about the lens, and how this lens could create 'different' results but after I read all the responses here, maybe different is not equal to good and I need to rethink again about having one.

From what I've received, now I began to get tempted to go wider than 28, but an additional viewfinder is really bugging me, I wonder how important is using the extra viewfinder if I go wider than 28?

I certainly don't want to talk you out of ever getting a Nocti. It is a unique lens and capable of producing beautiful results when used well. I just don't think it makes sense as a staple of your photography for all the reasons I mentioned. IMHO, your first few lenses should be your staples. Then later you can look into special purpose lenses, a category the Nocti fits for me.

As for external viewfinders, I don't find them to be too cumbersome and definitely like to know how the shot will be framed before I take it. But if you think you might be able to get by without it, no reason not to get a lens without an external viewfinder and buy the finder later if you are unsatisfied.

Good luck...

<quote>

Ariston

It depends upon you are or are not too accustomed to SLR... 21 on M6/M8 can be really well used without finder, but in some cases is better to have a VF and not using RF... counting on DOF and estimating focus; a CV 15 needs a VF... is really terribly wide vs. the Leica body finder, does't have RF coupling... no problem of switching from one to the other finder, that is really a bit annoying.

Ok, I’m still on my first and only lens (28-Cron’) and I’m also seeking my goal of two additional lenses. This reminds me of the paint commercial where the lady is going crazy trying to figure out which shade of paint to choose from eight colors on the wall. Initially, and perhaps still tracking with the 50-Lux’ and 21-Elmarit although most every thread on the subject plugs the 75-Lux’ as the worst and the best i.e. horrible frame lines, yet best for portraiture. Anyway, I like to shoot urban and casual bust shots. Sorry, the term “street & portraiture” doesn’t quite express how I shoot.

Regards,:o

I figure it others' can deal with a VF, then so can I. The more I read this thread, the more I want the 21-Elmarit before the 50-Lux'.

Regards,:)