Leica SL3 problems

Linas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/27/2024 at 1:33 AM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

All those combinations but mostly both. Currently one of my SL3's has Lexar cards (both slots) and the other has a ProGrade CFE(B) and Sandisk SD card. I have also used Sandisk CFE cards. I quite like the Lexar cards. Better value than Sandisk and fast. Never had a problem with them in any camera.

I avoid Sony cards. Except in my Sony cameras where I use a pair of CFE(a) cards for my A1 and A7R5. Not had great luck with Sony SD cards over the years.

Gordon

I agree - in the past as I was returning to Leica - first with the ME 240 - I had several problems with Sony cards. Next using a Sony card in my QP - that was enough. I had many Sony cards which I had been using in my old Sony 100 MKIII - that's the only place I will use them now - my old Sony. I've been using SanDisk Extreme Pro for some time - no problems.

3 hours ago, Planetwide said:

At this point in time, I do not really trust any youtube influencer's reviews...

Wise…

On 5/22/2024 at 9:40 AM, Ejh said:

I'm actually having this same issue.  The camera FOTOS connection worked flawlessly until recently where it now freezes upon connection or fails to connect.   As mentioned, the only solution has been to remove the battery.  I've deleted and reconnected on both the phone and camera but it hasn't fixed the issue.  

Works fine when connected by USB.   

On 5/22/2024 at 9:40 AM, Ejh said:

Hope that I am posting within the correct topic …

I just purchased my first „real“ digital camera, the SL3, coming from the analogue world of Nikon F2 and shooting a lot of mobile phone pics to continue  my passion for photography.

So far the issue with the Leica SL3 is that it freezes up, quite regularly, when syncing with Leica FOTO over wifi. The only remedy is to dislocate the battery…

Otherwise, I still am getting used to AF and trying to configure my preferred profile.

Ejh

For those who say their SL3 hasn't had any problems with losing images, I'm happy for you and consider yourself lucky =T. I'm one of the people from the other thread that lost photos... from two weddings.

I sent my cards for professional data recovery setting me back a $1200 with no success.

I set my cards to dual write LDNG to both the CFe and SD. My cards were Sandisk (CFe) and Prograde (SD).

Sadly... I will probably never recover those images and I also know another wedding photographer who has also lost all the family photos from a session. 

I have a suspicion that the processor can't handle the load therefore something fatal like this is happening. I have since switched to MDNG to the CFe and Jpeg to the SD to lighten the load on the camera. I haven't lost images since but I've also been WAY more careful to not pop the battery out (like I use to on the SL2S).

My SL3 will be going to Leica this week for a 4-month repair time, meanwhile going back to the SL2s (and an SL2 loaner)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am one of those people.  I have only had the camera a week but no issues so far.  And I also don’t shoot zillions of photos in a short period of time.  I have owned the 601 for years and various M cameras and regularly take the card out without powering off without issue.

I love the images and love the glass.  It’s great for me.

But…

I also want this system to be viable for professionals.  I am typically skeptical of internet reports of Bad Things.  It does seem though that there is fire at the center of this smoke.  I love the Leica brand and the many cameras and lenses I have owned and still own.

I very much hope Leica gets this sorted in short order.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/13/2024 at 8:56 PM, nonoketchup said:

For those who say their SL3 hasn't had any problems with losing images, I'm happy for you and consider yourself lucky =T. I'm one of the people from the other thread that lost photos... from two weddings.

I sent my cards for professional data recovery setting me back a $1200 with no success.

I set my cards to dual write LDNG to both the CFe and SD. My cards were Sandisk (CFe) and Prograde (SD).

Sadly... I will probably never recover those images and I also know another wedding photographer who has also lost all the family photos from a session. 

I have a suspicion that the processor can't handle the load therefore something fatal like this is happening. I have since switched to MDNG to the CFe and Jpeg to the SD to lighten the load on the camera. I haven't lost images since but I've also been WAY more careful to not pop the battery out (like I use to on the SL2S).

My SL3 will be going to Leica this week for a 4-month repair time, meanwhile going back to the SL2s (and an SL2 loaner)

I think the issue is that it was never written to the card, I have tried recovery and I got back images from months ago but did not do what I wanted.

This week was a busy week for me 6-day shoot, 900GB of RAW files shot. I didn't lose any photos, but I was shooting tether most of the time.

This morning shooting my Summicron APO and SL3, but no computer was involved, I got 2 hours of shooting when I got the message " Please restart camera" inside the EVF, and after two hours again. Looks like the camera reset and had to enter all the settings again.

Am 16.6.2024 um 08:21 schrieb Mikko Kankainen:

At least in my case it was written because we watched images with playback inside camera. Overwritten is my understanding. 
Also nothing from recovery. 

Does it cause a problem to play images in the viewfinder? 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I still wonder if this "bug" is reproducible? If, like the person in the video is say is correct, and the camera is resetting number sequence you should be able to see if that is happening right away.

So with that, can someone with this problem take some pictures and look at the sequential file numbers in Review mode and make a note of the last frame shot i.e. L100000256 (or your last captured file name/number). So now do your battery pull (after a complete shutdown) put new battery in camera. Turn on camera and then take one test shot. In review mode Is that test shot numbered L100000257? Or is it reverting to L100000001 ( or your overwrite number here)? Do the same test leaving the camera powered ON while doing the above if you'd like too.

It's a PITA but if this bug is happening to you , I think there is a way to manually set the camera numbering in the menu. But you would have to do the each battery removable. Not ideal, but may be a work-around until an update for the camera arrives.

Can anyone report back with your results? Thanks.

Edited by Jonathan Levin

I can not reproduce the failure. I took out the battery while the camera is in record, play, sleep and completely off. I tried it with both cards in the camera and only one. I also removed the cards while the camera is on. The camera always returns to the last number +1.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ImmerDraussen said:

I can not reproduce the failure. I took out the battery while the camera is in record, play, sleep and completely off. I tried it with both cards in the camera and only one. I also removed the cards while the camera is on. The camera always returns to the last number +1.

That's probably even worse that the error is not consistently reproducible, SL3 now has full a list of issues, like AF inconsistencies etc:
https://diglloyd.com/blog/2024/20240404_0700-LeicaSL3-CorruptFiles-again.html

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

Is anyone taking Lloyd seriously anymore?

His findings are sometimes not reproducible, and reported issues are sometimes user errors.

• Like 3

So,

I had several client shoots, and everything went well;

I was shooting on slow SD cards at 36MP.

Today, I tested the camera for this bug, and here are my thoughts:

• When you remove the battery without turning off the camera, the settings are reset.

A new folder is created each time and new

photos are saved there.

I don't understand how the failure can occur.

• I managed to reproduce the bug when a second memory card was inserted, and recording was done in parallel.

When viewing photos in the camera, the counter was reset, but the photos were still in another folder on the memory card;

it is possible that at some point they might be overwritten.

I see the solution as follows:

1. Turn off the camera when changing the battery.

Use only one memory card.

2 hours ago, ERSY Photography said:

• When you remove the battery without turning off the camera, the settings are reset.

that is normal, the SL and SL2 does the same if you don't power camera down.

• Like 2