New Dual Charger from Leica for the BP-SCL4/SCL6

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/accessories/chargers/usb-c-dual-charger-bc-scl6

Looks like there is a new charger announced with the SL3, a dual battery charger that uses usb-c! It's a little on the bulky side but appears not too much larger than the Q3 charger while having the ability to charge two batteries at once.

Edited by cookedart

• cookedart changed the title to New Dual Charger from Leica for the BP-SCL4/SCL6
21 minutes ago, cookedart said:

https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/accessories/chargers/usb-c-dual-charger-bc-scl6

Looks like there is a new charger announced with the SL3, a dual battery charger that uses usb-c! It's a little on the bulky side but appears not too much larger than the Q3 charger while having the ability to charge two batteries at once.

£320!!!!!! No thanks............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

Don’t need it. One battery using the built in charger, and one battery in a Nitecore charger. That would be the lightest way to travel.

I was under the impression that the Nitecore charger has some issues, especially with the BP-SCL6 batteries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cookedart said:

I was under the impression that the Nitecore charger has some issues, especially with the BP-SCL6 batteries.

Never had an issue with the L6 or L4 batteries, nor the batteries for my CL. Two chargers and they have worked flawlessly over the last 3 or 4 years. If you follow the stolen test i.e. if the chargers were stolen would you replace them like for like and the answer is “Yes” without hesitation.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

26 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

Never had an issue with the L6 or L4 batteries, nor the batteries for my CL. Two chargers and they have worked flawlessly over the last 3 or 4 years. If you follow the stolen test i.e. if the chargers were stolen would you replace them like for like and the answer is “Yes” without hesitation.

ok, i was mostly following this thread.

I can’t get my Nitecore to charge the new Q3 battery at all. When I insert the battery into the charger, it’s as if there’s no battery at all. The older Q2 batteries still charge fine with the Nitecore.

As mentioned, I tried charging the Q3 battery to full in the included Leica charger first, but it still doesn’t work in the Nitecore charger.

I tried charging the Q3 battery BP-SCL6 with the Nitecore ULSL charger (which worked fine for my Q2) and it seems to have some difficulty in charging. I am not sure what when wrong. Anyone care to elaborate?

1 minute ago, ksrhee said:

You can always charge one in the camera and another in the charger.  

I am mostly thinking of the ultra portable setup of charging a battery within my backpack in the field. The current Leica Charger does not allow for this, and i've heard mixed reviews for the nitecore with BP-SCL6 batteries.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, cookedart said:

The only thing I can think of is that the SCL-6 is a higher capacity battery, and it might need more wattage to charge . . .

Edited by ksrhee

1 hour ago, ksrhee said:

The only thing I can think of is that the SCL-6 is a higher capacity battery, and it might need more wattage to charge . . .

ya, the weird thing though is that the leica official charger itself has not changed between the SCL4 and SCL6. The charger in the box for the Q3 is the SCL4 charger. My assumption is that it would just take longer for the same charger to fully charge the battery.

Batteries do have all sorts of chips and electronics that do handshakes however. So its possible certain batteries are not communicating properly with the nitecore, and its not so much an issue of wattage, but general compatibility. Whats even more problematic is that it might be specific batteries (say, earlier SCL6 batteries from the Q3 launch) but perhaps newer batteries do not have the issue, or vice versa. Its hard to parse currently.

If anything this new charger will be quite bulky. I purchased a Hahnel UniPal charger this week and so far no issues charging the BP-SCL6 or BP-SCL4. It has adjustable contact points for just the + and - contact areas, which are clearly indicated on the batteries. Hopefully, as a respected brand, it will not create problems. Hahnel does give a cautionary message about charging batteries with “data”, but so fa, so good.

I've used the original charger once and than put it back into its box. Also, I never take the SD card from the camera. For charging USB-C works like a charm and is faster at 2A than the charger with its measly 0,25A and for transferring photos the Fotos App is simply flawless and super fast.

28 minutes ago, nospam said:

I've used the original charger once and than put it back into its box. Also, I never take the SD card from the camera. For charging USB-C works like a charm and is faster at 2A than the charger with its measly 0,25A and for transferring photos the Fotos App is simply flawless and super fast.

As far as I can tell, the output for the charger is 8.4v and .85a.  No matter what it is not a powerful charger . . .

1 hour ago, ksrhee said:

As far as I can tell, the output for the charger is 8.4v and .85a.  No matter what it is not a powerful charger . . .

I am reading 9.12V, 1.1A (about 10W) for the new charger for one battery. That goes up if charging two batteries.

On 3/8/2024 at 5:39 AM, dick.v.v said:

If anything this new charger will be quite bulky. I purchased a Hahnel UniPal charger this week and so far no issues charging the BP-SCL6 or BP-SCL4. It has adjustable contact points for just the + and - contact areas, which are clearly indicated on the batteries. Hopefully, as a respected brand, it will not create problems. Hahnel does give a cautionary message about charging batteries with “data”, but so fa, so good.

It does look bulky, but only slightly more than the included charger with the Q3. The nitecore of course is much smaller but this does have the advantage of charging two batteries at the same time.