Digilux 2 serial numbers and sensor failure

Mine 2998XXX, failed in May 2007 sent to NJ and got back in September 2007.

How long does it take to make the sensors? They alway seem to be running out of them. I don't think Leica sold that many D2's were the replacement supply keeps running out.

John

In the NY return thread there were two others reported:

Wda's: 'Mine in #2988*** and failed in August; repaired in October.'

Pappy's: '#2994*** Failed in September, sent to NJ at the end of September, got it back today!!! Yay! Finally, my life is complete again.... this is a gem of a camera.... can't wait to get home and take shots of my kids.... it's been too long....''

So far it looks like all D2's starting with 2 will fail. So far no 3's have failed...

A few 2's were reported here still working, they must be lucky or living on borrowed time I'm afraid.

How long does it take to make the sensors? They alway seem to be running out of them. I don't think Leica sold that many D2's were the replacement supply keeps running out.

The Digilux 2 accounts for just a small percentage of all the 2/3" 5 MP sensors ever made by Sony. Sony has to supply replacements for their own DSC-F707 and DSC-F717, the Minolta Dimage 7, 7i, 7Hi, and A1, the Nikon Coolpix 5000 and 5700, the Panansonic DMC-LC1 and probably others. And then the 2/3" 5 MP sensor isn’t the only one affected by this type of failure; Sony has to crank out lots of replacement CCDs of various sizes and specifications.

i have s/n 2993****, purchased in 2004..... no sensor failure.

however i did send the camera back in 2006 to fix a sticky focus ring (which they did for free).... it is possible that they also swapped out the sensor at that point ( ? ) and did not mention it.

i also dropped the camera off my shoulder in 2007 onto a concrete road .... got dented, but works just fine.

my is no.298xxxx just failed yesterday. How will i get D3 upgrade offer

When I called to ask about the status on my D2 repair I asked if I could upgrade. The person at the other end said yes, no problem. She didn't volunteer the offer though.